PDA

View Full Version : Slightly loaded question but...

mpl330
03-16-2008, 07:08 PM
Hi Guys,
What should I get next...

2 of Joe's/Dodianos yokes or a gear lever?

I have the main hardware (MIP/MCP/OH/Ped) but don't have a gear lever and have a CH yoke but last weekend had the great opportunity to visit Ian Sissons simpit and was totally impressed by the yoke and column he built (as well as the rest of his sim). 1/2 of me says get the gear lever as that will complete the MIP but then again you only touch it twice - once up, once down but the yokes are always used.... Feel slightly left out not having the lever but they are nice yokes (very impressed)........

Cheers
Mike

NicD
03-16-2008, 10:08 PM
You're right... go the yokes! I reckon these are the most important item to get right, but are often neglected for the sake of what looks good.

Philb737
03-16-2008, 10:20 PM
I second that, go for the yokes!!! They are the door knobs to your house, it's the first things that someone will see and touch before they enter your home. It's also true with the sim !!!!!I love mine:p

mpl330
03-17-2008, 03:50 PM
Ok convinced :D - credit card at the ready and drain pipe to be purchased ;)

Cheers
Mike

Michael Carter
03-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Get the 3", it's closest to the Boeing yoke column diameter. It's nearly spot on.

Joe Cygan
03-17-2008, 06:09 PM
Hi Guys,
What should I get next...

2 of Joe's/Dodianos yokes or a gear lever?

I have the main hardware (MIP/MCP/OH/Ped) but don't have a gear lever and have a CH yoke but last weekend had the great opportunity to visit Ian Sissons simpit and was totally impressed by the yoke and column he built (as well as the rest of his sim). 1/2 of me says get the gear lever as that will complete the MIP but then again you only touch it twice - once up, once down but the yokes are always used.... Feel slightly left out not having the lever but they are nice yokes (very impressed)........

Cheers
Mike

The yokes of course;)

steveeverson
03-17-2008, 06:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FpzO7yWrNI

just to see how much fun he had with ians yokes!

steve:p

John Davis
03-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Real stupid question mike .... we had to prize you off Ians Yoke , remember :D

Nice video Steve ... reminds me of tthe type of thing you shot during worldflight .... whatever happened to that DVD ??? :roll::-)

steveeverson
03-17-2008, 07:39 PM
thought i might find you here
just been putting the finishing touches to it! got a bit more to do tomorrow:p- i had to go and buy another hard drive yesterday to fit all the footage on!- you about Friday? as i guess i cant email the whole thing!
steve8-)

John Davis
03-17-2008, 08:12 PM
I should be available on Friday , drop me a txt on Thurs night to check.
you can be the first to view the fully backlit MIP :cool:

steveeverson
03-17-2008, 10:23 PM
wow- you must have been busy!
will be looking forward to it!
cheers Steve:D

dodiano
03-17-2008, 11:43 PM
GET THE YOKES MAN!! GET THE YOKES :)

Take care,

Roberto

mpl330
03-18-2008, 01:25 AM
Real stupid question mike .... we had to prize you off Ians Yoke , remember :D

True... but now my building inadequacies will be out in the open!!! Don't think my version will stand a loop like Ians did...

Column parts all ordered - just to tell Joe to get the yokes sent over from the US:D

Oh dear - what have I done - I think I'm in for a frustrating Easter!!!

Cheers
Mike

Jackpilot
03-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Mike

The gear lever is a breeze to build yourself
Two aluminum plates
One 6" long small plastic pipe
One furniture castor
One microswitch
A little bit of thinking
Mix all ingredients for an hour and you have it
Cost: approx $20.
Cheers

mpl330
03-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Well I did wonder how difficult it could be to build a gear lever... do you not need 2 micro switches, 1 to trigger the up and 1 to trigger the down, both sending a 'G' when they switch on?
Cheers
Mike

steveeverson
03-18-2008, 03:11 PM
:Dhi mike- you only need one switch if you have FSUIPC- as you can set it to do something when the switch is pressed or released. My gear lever presses the microswitch when in the down position. as soon as the lever is moved up the switch releases and sends a 'g' , when the gear lever is put down again and the switch is pressed it sends another 'g'
hope that makes sense!
steve

ps- vid link below, if you want a hires copy, give me a shout

mpl330
03-18-2008, 04:10 PM
Steve - did you make yours?

Anyone got recomendations for dimensions of alu plate?

Column pipe and tops now bought!
Cheers
Mike

Michael Carter
03-18-2008, 04:50 PM
If you are building a Boeing, you'll want to use two switches so you will be able to return the lever to the 'OFF' position.

I didn't build mine I bought it several years ago and don't even remember the companys name. It was cheap though, around $40 I think.

steveeverson
03-18-2008, 05:28 PM
yeah- mike i did make mine but it's still, how do you say, in 'prototype' form!
used the same idea as Gwyn Perrett (westozy) with a spring loaded cam and made an mdf prototype which works great- still need to do a few tweaks and make a nylon or metal one
steve:p

Jackpilot
03-19-2008, 10:44 AM
Mike
try these:

http://www.hanskrohn.com/BuildingTips/Landing_Gear_Lever/Landing_Gear.htm

http://www.kennair.com/gear.html

mpl330
03-19-2008, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the links - interesting reading.

I'd been having a think about how to make one and fortunately it looks like I was going in the right direction - some good ideas on those sites.
Cheers
Mike

magicaldr
03-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Now you see the joys of building GA ;)

No gear switch, no autopilot, no FMC, no backlighting...

(of course that also leaves me with no toys to play with, and it just doesn't have the wow of the heavy stuff, I want GA with buttons to push!)

But on your point I would go with those who said get the yokes, the flight controls are your physical link to the virtual world, get the best you can :)