PDA

View Full Version : Control Column Manufacture

tomenglish2000
07-11-2008, 04:30 AM
Hi Guys.

I need to have some advice on control columns for the 767. I have the dimensions and stuff, and also have some excellent replica yokes, but have been unable to build the control columns.

The control columns are already connected in the elevator sense (that was easy) now I need to connect the two yokes in the aileron sense.

I tried using a steel cable between the two columns so that the yokes move together but that didnt work. The cable couldnt bend enough or slipped off the spindle I made.

I know that the real ones use a gearing system to turn a rod that runs down the column and will eventually get a metal worker to make me some if I cant find a better solution in the mean time.

I was wondering what solutions you guys used in your setups? Any ideas welcome!

Thanks. Tom.

AndyT
07-11-2008, 04:35 AM
We had a thread on this very thing not too long ago.... *sifting thru huge piles of postings* Ah... Here it is.

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12204

tomenglish2000
07-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Excellent thread.

Looks like the Stainless steel wire I have been using is too thick. Smaller gauge wire might solve my problems. I will also have to redesign the bearings on the bottom of the columns, although the ones at the top might be OK with smaller wire.

Thanks.

Kennair
07-12-2008, 08:01 AM
Tom,

Westozy's the man to PM if you get stuck with these mechanical doo-hickeys.

Ken.