PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Australia's Gold Coast

Steve Andrew
07-31-2008, 10:54 PM
Hi everyone

I have had an interest in flight sims ever since I ran Bruce Artwick's Sub Logic system on an Apple II - Anyone remember that ? :)

Now that I have semi-retired and have the time I've finally decided to try and put together my own simpit. I'm mainly a VFR flier and so will be looking at something fairly simple. I am very interested in a 2 or 3 DOF motion platform and have spent a lot of time lurking on Ian's and Roland's most informative websites.

My background is mainly in embedded systems design, both hardware and software, and I look forward to being able to contribute something in those areas.

Best regards

Steve Andrew

Michael Carter
07-31-2008, 11:16 PM
Welcome to the site. Hope you find a lot of good ideas here.

No two cockpits are built the same way. I guess that's part of the fun and learning.

ruprecht
08-01-2008, 05:08 AM
I'm mainly a VFR flier and so will be looking at something fairly simple

*chortle* that's how we all started mate! You'll look back on that and laugh in a few years :)

Welcome to the hobby. There are quite a few of us in SEQLD, we should organise a meet sometime.

Cheers

Matt Olieman
08-01-2008, 05:35 AM
Well.... Here we go again.... another "Aussie" I'm telling you we are being overtaken LOL.

GLAD TO HAVE YOU HERE STEVE!!!!!!! You'll find MyCockpit very useful with your building venture. Lot's of friendly folks, ready to help and give advise :) :) :)

Again Steve, "Welcome" :)

Matt Olieman

paulj
08-01-2008, 06:07 AM
Welcome Steve,
Good to see yet another Aussie here.
I'm down in Sydney and building a capt side only 737NG.
Lot's of really helpful people here.
cheers
Paul

AndyT
08-01-2008, 06:21 AM
I think there is so many Aussies because real flying costs your first born down under. Gotta get their fix somehow.

Matt Olieman
08-01-2008, 06:51 AM
I think there is so many Aussies because real flying costs your first born down under. Gotta get their fix somehow.

Well, I don't think we're that far off either.... at least an arm and a leg :p

Matt Olieman

Westozy
08-01-2008, 08:55 AM
I thought this was an aussie site? LOL

Welcome Steve...

Gwyn

Michael Carter
08-01-2008, 10:26 AM
I checked yesterday here, $120 hr wet for a 172. That's twice what it was when I was current.

On the bright side, you couldn't touch a 727 for ten times that per hour. And mine is only a few feet away ready to go anytime the urge hits me. :D

Tomlin
08-01-2008, 11:26 AM
I checked yesterday here, $120 hr wet for a 172. That's twice what it was when I was current.

On the bright side, you couldn't touch a 727 for ten times that per hour. And mine is only a few feet away ready to go anytime the urge hits me. :D

Which is EXACTLY why I love simming so much. Any time you have free, you get to go 'flying' and it was funny- my friend who came over last night and I started calculating the $$$ in fuel the sim had in it. $1900 for that particular flight! Oh how I love simming....

Matt Olieman
08-01-2008, 12:23 PM
LOL, just think how much I'm saving with my big four hunkers..... LOL :) :) :)

Matt Olieman

AndyT
08-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Hmmm... at local fuel prices, it costs me $132 to top off my 182s tanks.

Michael Carter
08-01-2008, 10:05 PM
This is a little off-topic, but I've often wondered how they get light aircraft to far away places like Hawaii.

Do they remove the wings and ship them air freight, or put them on a cargo ship? Just wondering as I know they don't have the range to make the trip from the mainland.

AndyT
08-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Ah contriare mon frere... (Yeah I know my french is bad)

It depends. A 172 class plane is shipped (literally by 'ship' ocean going) minus wings. They crate it up with the wings.
A 182 and above has the seats removed and a fuel bladder installed. Then they fly it over. When they get here, the bladder is removed and the seats are put back.

A recent ferry job flew a Cirrus SR22 over and the flight was about 7 hours.

Michael Carter
08-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Interesting. Thanks! ;)

Gazza
08-02-2008, 09:27 AM
G'day folks, I am also new here. I have also been a flight sim traggic since the amiga days. I am currently building helicopter simulators, yes Im addicted to the rotary wing, so It is nice to come aboard and say g'day to fellow members with the same traggic interests in Simulation..