PDA

View Full Version : Map & Chart Lights

mpl330
08-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Greetings all!

Quick question in anticipation of receiving one of Phils nice Map & Chart Light switches...

Is the Map light the light on the overhead (737), one for Cpt & FO that looks like a cylinder and is the chart light the light that is under the glare panel???

Cheers
Mike

Michael Carter
08-08-2008, 11:50 AM
The round cylindrical light is the map light. They are made by Grimes. They change from red to white with a twist of the knob in the rear. They are also mounted on a swivel to direct the light.

I don't think the lights under the glare shield are 'chart lights'. I can't see anything with mine except the instrument panel, unless you lean forward and hold the chart under the glareshield. Not too convenient.

ivar hestnes
08-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Guess the chart light is the light attached between the side-windows?

Anyone have a good item number for pots to use on the map-light panels.

Pots which can dim 12v 21w and have a off position when pot is turned all the way to the left. And with a shaft that fit the knobs made by Nihad.

Just like the volume knobs on an old car radio. But it has to be linear pots, and not audio pots.

mpl330
08-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Hi Ivar,

Going off topic but I was checking your video (excellent) and wondered what projector you are using and which airport scenery did you use?

Cheers
Mike

ivar hestnes
08-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Hehe, guess it is OK that you are off topic.

It is your thread:)

My beamers are: 3X Epson EMP-X3 with a tripplehead2go.

The scenery is freeware for FS9. Very good quality. I think it can be downloaded from AVSIM. But not sure. The files are: Norway airports, Norway mesh + Norway quality mesh, Norway bridges, Norway roads and maybe some more.

And Norway is for sure a nice country for flying. Recommended. Specially our winther conditions;)

I can make a new thread with links to all of these if you like:)

Michael Carter
08-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Guess the chart light is the light attached between the side-windows?

Anyone have a good item number for pots to use on the map-light panels.

Pots which can dim 12v 21w and have a off position when pot is turned all the way to the left. And with a shaft that fit the knobs made by Nihad.

Just like the volume knobs on an old car radio. But it has to be linear pots, and not audio pots.

Ivar, it has to be a rheostat, not a normal audio or other pot. The rheotat disipates voltage in the form of heat when dimming the lights. A normal potentiometer will not last long. Ask me how I know.

Rheostats are higher priced than normal pots. Some are downright expensive.

ivar hestnes
08-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Thanks BSW. Any part recommendations?

One thing that I am really scared of, is fire in my woodie. So this must be done correctly regards to wiring and parts.

:)

Trevor Hale
08-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks BSW. Any part recommendations?

One thing that I am really scared of, is fire in my woodie. So this must be done correctly regards to wiring and parts.

:)

Nobody likes a fire in their woody, thats for darn sure :)

warvet
08-08-2008, 03:05 PM
**** now a days most of just want a damn woody and hope fire comes with it ;)

Tim :)

warvet
08-08-2008, 03:05 PM
**** now a days at our ages most of us just want a damn woody and hope fire come with it ;)

Tim :)

Trevor Hale
08-08-2008, 03:25 PM
LMAO.. My thought exactly :)

ivar hestnes
08-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Not sure if I want to know what you are talking about :shock:

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Michael Carter
08-08-2008, 09:44 PM
I shop at Mouser, but the shipping might be expensive for you Ivar.

They sell them though. Check their catalog for a part number and see if you can find the same part locally.

ian@737ng.co.uk
08-08-2008, 11:27 PM
hi mike.....
poppin' back to the lights, the map light is indeed the large Grimes Adjustable Unit which fits inside the Eyebrow, either side the bottom of the overhead panel.
the chart lights are small lights fitted into the liner.
i have e-mailed you the page from the Pilots Op. Handbook.
hope that helps you out.
cheers ... ian

mpl330
08-09-2008, 05:24 AM
Thanks everyone!

Whilst we're on with lights then can we clarify what the other switches do (ignoring the DU switches)?

From my understanding is it correct that on B737:

Cpt Panel:
Panel Bright = Light from under the glare panel (Cpt side)
Background Bright = Backlighting
AFDS Flood = light to shine on the TQ (from somewhere)

FO Panel:
Panel Bright= Light from under the glare (FO side)

Pedestal:
Flood = light to shine on Ped (from somewhere)
Panel = Backlighting

OH:
Circuit Breaker = light to shine on the circuit breaker panel behind FO
Panel = Backlighting

Cheers
Mike

ivar hestnes
08-09-2008, 08:43 AM
Hope I am not hijacking your thread here Mike, But it is related so I give it a shot:)

Regarding to dimming of panels I have decided that I dont want to use rheostats. Just because of the heat it develop. Very scared of potentially fire hazard.

But I have a clever brother which is an electronics engineer at Kongsberg defense aerospace, and he suggested that I should use DC motor controllers for dimming the bulbs. After some googling I came up with this: http://www.electronickits.com/kit/complete/motor/ck1400.htm Any comments?

mpl330
08-09-2008, 09:36 AM
"Hope I am not hijacking your thread here Mike, But it is related so I give it a shot:smile:"

Go for it - we are all friends here, and it is light related!

dnoize
08-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks everyone!

Whilst we're on with lights then can we clarify what the other switches do (ignoring the DU switches)?

from the Fcom

1 MAIN PANEL Light Control
Rotate –
• Captain – controls brightness of Captain’s panel and instrument lighting,
center instrument panel, and AFDS panel displays and edge lighting
• First Officer – controls brightness of First Officer’s panel and instrument
lighting.

BACKGROUND Light Control
Rotate – controls incandescent lighting brightness for Captain’s panel, First
Officer’s panel, and center panel.

AFDS FLOOD Light Control
Rotate – controls brightness of lighting directed at AFDS panel.

So basically:
mainpanel = internally backlit panels
Background= incandescent lightning af all panels (i think it controls the light in the rear bulkhead too..but im not sure...will check next time im in the flightdeck)
afds flood= the floodlight that lights the mcp (glare top) and the afds panels (lighting under the glare box)

Stef