PDA

View Full Version : yoke switch

747sim
08-29-2008, 04:58 PM
I have recently tested all my switches and found that my push button switch in the yoke (used to pause) will only do so when held in, is there a way to make it so that when i push it it pauses and when i push it again it unpauses?

Geremy Britton
08-29-2008, 05:43 PM
i cannot account for FSX however in FS9 it should work fine pushing it once to pause and again to unpause however if this isn't working. And on the basis you have a registered copy of FSUIPC you can assign the switch to pause there. Just make sure the "control to be held while button pressed" (or something along those lines) is not ticked then it will act as a momentry switch hopefully giving you the button as you want it.

Hope that may help a little.

747sim
08-30-2008, 06:49 PM
I'm just trying to figure out how to get my yoke which has a wooden shaft to go through my wooden panel smoothly. Does anyone have any suggestions on the matter

AndyT
08-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Got pictures?

747sim
08-30-2008, 07:04 PM
one sec I will get some (pardon paint job I just sanded a little more)

Michael Carter
08-30-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm just trying to figure out how to get my yoke which has a wooden shaft to go through my wooden panel smoothly. Does anyone have any suggestions on the matter

Seal the wooden shaft with multiple coats of sanding sealer to close the grain. Sand the final coat lightly with 600 grit paper. You can use a length of PVC pipe attached to the back of the panel near the same diameter as the yoke shaft. You'll have to devise a way to attach it to the back of the panel.

Maybe using 'L' angles strapped or JB Welded to the PVC and screwed to the back of the panel.

Coat the yoke shaft with silicone grease (the white stuff). You'll have to figure out a way to work around the electronics, but there you go.

747sim
08-30-2008, 07:20 PM
the silver stuff is aluminum but I plan to tear that off. Would epoxy resin work?

Michael Carter
08-30-2008, 07:24 PM
For what purpose?

AndyT
08-30-2008, 07:33 PM
I would just get rid of that whole shaft and use a peice of black PVC pipe and a set of inside bearings to mount it in.

747sim
08-30-2008, 07:35 PM
sounds good but is there no way I could do it with wood? I meant use the resein to seal the shaft.

Bob Reed
08-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Well as Mike stated you could get a piece of PVC that the wood shaft fits inside of and use that as a "bushing".....

AndyT
08-30-2008, 08:15 PM
The problem you are going to run up against is lubrication. the first 6 months are going to be smooth as silk but over time wood just does not have the durability for that kind of project. You will eventually wind up replacing the shaft every year or so. Lubricants are not nice to wood, even when its sealed.

Padraig
08-30-2008, 08:23 PM
To be honest and truthful about the matter, your wooden flight control looks like crap, you really need to listen to the guys in what they are saying, because it will work out better than what you have right now. Get your self a proper flight control with the proper accessories and you will do fine for a long time, wood after time will stick, and cause problems no matter how much grease you put on it, really it comes down to the materials you use for that very purpose.

Michael Carter
08-30-2008, 08:30 PM
I have to agree with Padraig, but don't take it personally.

We all have built projects that needed to be redone. I'm in the middle of one myself. The benefit is learning what works and what doesn't, and that will also translate to other projects within your build as well.

Different materials for different projects. Some projects you don't know what to use or try next. You may have to do it a few times before it turns out correct.