PDA

View Full Version : Correct way to hook up OC outputs

jmig
09-08-2008, 09:05 PM
I am at the point of testing Opencockpit LED outputs. I tried to hook up three LEDs to come on when the associated switch is on.

I hooked all three grounds to pin #2 (Ground pin) and one wire each, through a resistor, to the next three pins, #3,4, & 5. Pin #1 the 5 vdc pin was not connected.

When I started the Controller program one LED came on and the other two were off. I could get the lite LED to turn off by turning on the #11 switch point on the controller program. I could not get the other two LEDs to lite even working through all the pin numbers and trying ON & OFF on the software.

Have I wired incorrectly? What is the proper way to wire the outlet portion of the Master card? Once again, I tried to follow the translated (from French) tutorial but the translation has so many confusing words it is very hard to understand what the author was trying to say.

Polmer
09-08-2008, 10:02 PM
John,

It sounds like you are wiring the LED correctly;

Pin 2 -----> LED -------> Pin 3
Pin 2 ------>LED -------> Pin 4
Pin 2 ------> LED--------> Pin 5

etc.

Of course you must use a resistor so that the LED isnt destroyed instantly.
When you check your LED using the SIOC controller, have you tried the "all on" button? This should quickly tell you if the circuit is working properly or not.

~Polmer

jmig
09-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Hi Polmer,

No, I didn't remember or know about the "all" button. I will try that and look it over again.

Thanks for letting me know i am on the right track. Nothing else has worked first time I tried it, so I am not surprised at this. :mrgreen: I will eventually get it working.

kiek
09-09-2008, 02:58 AM
I hooked all three grounds to pin #2 (Ground pin) and one wire each, through a resistor, to the next three pins, #3,4, & 5. Pin #1 the 5 vdc pin was not connected.
Have I wired incorrectly?

It looks as if you have interchanged pins 1 and 2 (of connector J2) ... That's why one led came up immediately (it was connected to 5V), and the others are dead.

If you switch on #11, the led is between 5V and 5 V and will go off ;-)

(and/or check your leds, they have a plus and a minus terminal, the minus should be connected to GND)

Nico Kaan