PDA

View Full Version : Question about Opencockpits Hardware

captdave
01-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Hello

Do anybody have experience with Opencockpit Hardware?
Especially with the Plug and Play Radio Modules?

I want to know, how can i make them run with the Simulator?

Do i need SIOC? And how can i use for example 2 NAV Modules
(one for Captain and one for FO Side)?
How can i assign them so the right function?

Efe Cem Elci
01-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Captain, you'll find some information on this in an earlier thread:

Here is an update,

There is an installer that will detect if you have two radios or navs and will configure them as 1 and 2. If you want to change them all you have to do is switch the connectors; 1 becomes 2 and 2 becomes 1. Seems easy enough.

Pedro.

Here's the link to that thread...
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14289

xtreme3d
01-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Hi Dave,

I finally have my COM and NAV modules, they are really easy to setup.
All you need is the software from this link and you are up and running (install software, plug in modules and that is it). At least that was my case, also if you are using them on a client pc make sure you have wideClient running with the OC software. I only have one COM and NAV so I have not seen how the program setup the modules if you have more than one of the same (the progam .CFG file has lines for more than one module, I guess is automatic once they are plugged in). I will post pics of the modules once I find my digital camera. I was very impressed I am running FlightDeckSoftware and the modules were compatible right out of the box.

Here is the link,

http://www.opencockpits.com/catalog/modulo-com-737-pp-p-218.html

Regards,

Pedro.

"Keep 'em Flying and Enjoy the Ride"

ODYSSEY NG
737Simulator

Michael Carter
01-01-2009, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the update. Can't wait to get mine!:-D

xtreme3d
01-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Hello Captains,

Here are some pics of the modules. Just to let you know they did not come with USB cables and the TEST button is not functional (e-mailed OC to confirm this and still waiting for a reply). In my opinion, for the price I got a really nice product. If you plug in the modules without running the OC software only the backlight will work, once you run the software everything else comes to life. Also, you can run the software first and then plug them in and everything will be up and running (piece of cake).

Hope this helps,

Pedro

xtreme3d
01-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Hi,

Here are a few more pics of the Opencockpits COM/NAV modules.

Enjoy,

Pedro.

captdave
01-02-2009, 08:13 PM
Thank you very much for the pics.

So I ordered 1 com and 2 nav radios.
I hope they will come soon :)

Can you explain me please, for that it that jumper connector on the bottom side of the panel?

Do i need for each Modul a seperate USB Cable? So a USB Hub will be for need right?

captdave
01-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Opencockpits wrote that the backlight is managed by a software.

is it possible to manage it with the flight simulator?

Michael Carter
01-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the photos. They look more substantial than other offerings I've seen.

You could slide those chassis right into a Gables box. :D

Kennair
01-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Thanks for those pics Pedro,

I can tell you from having just finished building 2 x COMM, 2 X NAV, 1 x ADF and 1 x XDPR from the OC kit components that I would have paid the (very little) extra for these pre-built modules had they been available at the time. Not that it wasn't enjoyable and satisfying, nor was it difficult, it's just that it's very time consuming and the price difference is negligible. I estimated that the COMM radio cost me approx 100 Euro for all the components, then about 5 hours to build. The pre-built module cost 135 Euro plus shipping (probably about 10 Euro, and cheaper if you buy several).

I don't know how they do it, and as Pedro has found out, they're simple to get going.

Ken.

xtreme3d
01-04-2009, 02:10 AM
Hello Dave,

I do not know what the jumper is for or if you can use a USB hub but, seems like I have another reason to e-mail OC once again. I don't think the backlighting can be controlled by FS since the LEDs are directly fed by the USB port (but hey, never say never, there is always a way and a lot of talented Simmers out there).

Take care.

Regards,

Pedro.

Oh,
Sorry Mike no Gables box on hand, used them all.

mrcadillac
01-04-2009, 05:34 AM
hello,
i thought the "jumper" is a possibility to add a 5 v source. because the usb connection won't be able to give enough power to every modul when you connect more than one or two?!
greetings from germany,
christian