PDA

View Full Version : Itroduction and a question RE: throttle quadrants

MrRoper
02-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Ok first of all Let me introduce myself,

My name is Chris from the uk who, stupidly, went and had a go on Ian`s cockpit last weekend! this has now sparked my imagination and my wallet is looking at me with a scared look on its face!

seriously, I had a great day, and Ian is such a nice bloke :)

So the idea is to spend some time learning about this black art and seeing what i can and cant do.

The idea is to make,firstly, a mockup 737 TQ as a learning exercise. So my first Question is, regarding the flaps leaver and making a TQ what are the prefered way of controlling flap deployment, as I have seen peopleuse both pots and microswitches.

I have ordered a few pots of various types and a leo board so I can have a play :) but was wondering what methods people have used that DIY`d!

Thanks and Hi to you all :)

Rodney
02-03-2009, 10:59 AM
I use a pot and Leo's board. Works like a champ. For me to do switches, each one would have to be wired adding to an already confined space. Best option for me then was a pot.

Kennair
02-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Welcome MrRoper (I take it that's a reference to Sesame Street?)

Really bad news visiting someone like Ian (just joking), I visited Westozy here in Perth last year and had a similar experience. Although I was already building a pit I almost drifted over to the 737 myself.

As to the flaps setup, if you are building a specific pit such as the 737 and don't intend using it regularly for any other bird, then the pot is the way to go. You can setup detents using your hardware and connect to one device (the pot) and configure the settings in FSUIPC. As Rodney said, there's much less wiring.

If you intend to build a multi-aircraft pit then it becomes more of an issue as each aircraft has different flap positioning. This is the situation I face and so I use just two microswitches. One for sequential Down flap and one for sequential Up flap. Less realistic but very functional for any aircraft you intend to fly. I customise all my aircraft panels to include the aircrafts flap gauge on screen so I can see exactly what flap position I have selected. But as I said, if you're building the 737 go with the single pot!

Hope that makes sense and good luck.

Ken

Trevor Hale
02-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Welcome MrRoper (I take it that's a reference to Sesame Street?)

Ken

No, Mr Roper was from Three's Company. I think your thinking about Mr. Hooper from Sesame Street isn't it..

I could be wrong though.. after all I am Canadian..

MrRoper
02-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks guys for your responses,

I think im going to go with the pot for the first prototype :)

I amfraid you are all wrong with the MrRoper reference..its from a certain Bruce Lee film ;)

Kennair
02-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Ahh you're quite right Trev. Wow that's taking me back to the 70's I think!!

Yes George Roper and wife Mildred (I think?)

Then again I could be wrong.. after all I'm an Aussie!!

Ken ;)

Kennair
02-03-2009, 12:10 PM
I amfraid you are all wrong with the MrRoper reference..its from a certain Bruce Lee film ;)

Now that's not fair! That's way too obscure! ;)

Ken.

XOrionFE
02-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Yep

Enter the Dragon

MrRoper
02-03-2009, 12:19 PM
And the winner is ^^^^^^^^^^^^ :)

phil744
02-03-2009, 12:49 PM
Yeah!! Im not the only one from Preston!!:p

MrRoper
02-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Ha! you shouldnt have said that..i know someone local now to pester!