PDA

View Full Version : Sim in the loft?

Jake 747 400
02-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Hi everyone.
Im stuck for space as to where to put my sim, my house has a big loft.
I dont have a garage or anything, is this a good idea or bad news?
Im just worried about a rather heavy 747 sim comming through my roof.
Jake

Jake 747 400
02-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Its ok everyone, I have asked my mum if I can build a new garden shed.
I must have done somthing right, maybe it was bringing in the washing this morning.
Jake

tomenglish2000
02-20-2009, 05:12 AM
Careful, A shed for a 747 sim might be larger than what you are allowed to put up without planning permission.

Tom

MrRoper
02-20-2009, 05:13 AM
Mine is going in the loft.. Just getting quotes now for putting new Joists in :)

Jake 747 400
02-20-2009, 05:30 AM
Hi
Do you know the maximum size without planning?
Jake

fordgt40
02-20-2009, 06:06 AM
Jake

There are a number of factors. The simplest answer is to Google it as there is a Government website that will provide the guidance you seek.

Regards

David

Jake 747 400
02-20-2009, 06:07 AM
Hi
I'll do it now and have a look.
Thanks for your help.
Jake

tomenglish2000
02-20-2009, 06:27 AM
http://www.agardenbuilding.co.uk/planning-permission-for-garden-buildings.html

This provides a general outline. I think it is safe to say that any Garden shed capable of housing a 747 sim will be larger than 10 cubic metres in volume and so require planning permission.

Also I dont think that a Shed is the best place. My shed is cold, damp and insects are present. There has also been mice in the past that chewed through a load of patio seat covers.

A loft will probably need extra joists installed as the amount of weight involved might overload most common roof joists. For example when my parents house had a loft extension installed lots of metal I beams were installed across the walls. This was only to support the floor. I would guess that loft flaw boarding is usually just for boxes of Christmas decorations and old suitcases.

Good luck.
Tom.

Jake 747 400
02-20-2009, 06:36 AM
Hi Tom.
Thanks for your help.
Ill have to have a think on what I'm going to do.
My house is victorian, so will cirtainly need a loft conversion.
Jake

Jake 747 400
02-20-2009, 07:50 AM
I think im going to have to go with the loft, I had planned this at first.
See how it goes.
Jake

fordgt40
02-20-2009, 08:32 AM
Jake

I do not think that Tom`s advice is based on the official and latest information. If you still wish to go the shed route then I suggest that you reference this URL

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/1115315233153

Regards

David

phil744
02-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Could you imagine if it did fall through the roof, that would be one awkward call to the insurance broker, "hi yes ive had a 747 fall through my roof an i wonder if you can help me?"

All i can say is ive seen other people do it, invest in decent floor boards and have it done by a pro, also look into some sound proof material, i can imagine the sound of 4 RR engines can vibrate your house to bits, plan out your sim, try to avoid clustering everything in one place, spread the weight around evenly and keep the lightweight mentality when designing and constructing your sim and dont have your workshop in the loft, may be wise if you do go and get a shed and use that as your workshop, then move the completed components inside, you will be supprised how much a small mill, bench drill and tools weigh.

fordgt40
02-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Good advice from Phil. Just one other point, roof spaces can be oppressively hot in summer even without the heat gain from all the electronics etc.

Regards

David

tomenglish2000
02-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Sorry, Jake.

Didnt realise that wasnt recent info.

Tom

tasmanet
02-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Better drag a tape out and do a bit of measuring

From Flight Deck Solutions
http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/prod_info.php?id=533

A320

Nose Sectional Size Info: The 6 Window Nose Sectional will require:

350cm (W) 197cm (H) 205cm (D)

Jake 747 400
02-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Hi to everyone who posted.
I will take intp account all these factors mentioned.
Tom its no problem. thanks for your help.
David thanks for your help, for some reason that link you sent me is a 404 not found.
Tasmanet thanks for your help too, but I am bot building an A320 sim, thanks anyway.
Phil, that one made me laugh, Ill start looking around and consult the mother :roll:, sounds a great idea to turn my old shed into a workshop, I have a few tools and machines a lathe etc.
Thanks to everyone.
Jake

fordgt40
02-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Jake

Sorry about the link - clearly the cut and paste did not work. I have checked the one below! Follow the link, search for "shed" and click on the first result.

You will find that the rules have been relaxed

Regards

David

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/

Jake 747 400
02-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Hi David.
Its ok.
I have had a look at the link and it seems much better.
I am still deciding on the loft or a shed.
For a shed I have access to materials and tools.
But with the loft it will be more costly I, personally I would rather do it in the loft but I have to think whats best.
They both both have advantages and disadvantages.
Im going to have to do a lot of thinking.
Thanks for your help David.
Jake

Barrykensett
02-20-2009, 03:36 PM
I have my sim in the loft. I fitted a Velux window, lined the roof with plasterboard under a membrane. Boarded the floor. One thing I haven't seen mentioned in earlier posts is think about the size of the largest module of your sim in relation to the size of the hole into the space.
See mine on http://www.a320sim.com/display/display.htm

Jake 747 400
02-20-2009, 05:44 PM
Hi Barry.
Thats fantastic, everything I have built everything so far to come apart and be able to put back together, so if I can make things as small as I can and put it together in the loft.
I like the idea of the window.
I am still deciding on the loft or shed though.
Jake

Jake 747 400
02-20-2009, 06:05 PM
Hi everyone.
Thanks for all your help, but I'm affraid I have no choice but to go with the shed. My mum wont let me do the loft as concerns of weight and the cost.
I can do the shed on my own without having to pay anyone to do it.
I now have to design the shed so it is good on security, keeping it warm, and size.
I have one question, what is the minimum distance the board can be to the front of the sim that the projector projects on to.
Jake

rhysb
02-22-2009, 05:43 PM
mine is built in the loft as my pictures show. all i can say is its great for fixing structures too but yes in summer you cant use it as you melt and in the middle of winter its the same!!