PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GPS Done

colt45
05-17-2009, 04:12 PM
It's been a while since I posted an update. With warmer weather here and the golf courses open, my sim time has definitely decreased. But I still did manage to get my GPS finished and up and running.

It may not be a thing of beauty or win any awards for high fidelity, but it works and I built it. Good enough for me. Who knows maybe some day down the road I will get a "real" panel built for it.

Any way attached are a few photos not only of the GPS but my GA simpit in general.

The next hurdle is getting the third monitor you see on top of my desk working. You may recall some earlier posts I had describing the problems I am having getting a second video card working. I still have not been able to get things working but have not really bothered with it of late. However, now that the GPS is working I need to get my other card going so that I can get my outside view monitor back on line. All with the hope of adding a Triple Head 2 Go and 3 monitors for my outside view.

Thanks for all the prior help to get me this far especially to Dave Cutliff who was there to answer many of my "rookie" questions and provided the modified GPS file with the bezels removed.

Cheers, Dave

ivar hestnes
05-17-2009, 09:29 PM
I think you did a good job. Looks great. If I would add something, it would be a bezel. Would really make the final touch:)

And thanks for posting. I love to see items that are more unusual to build.

DaveC3
05-17-2009, 10:12 PM
Great job Dave!!

Take care

Dave

wannabeaflyer
05-18-2009, 07:43 AM
Nice Work, thats something i now have all the bits for but Time to put it all togather, now theres the thing :-) by the way what did you use for yopur dual rotaries :-)

colt45
05-18-2009, 08:10 AM
Thanks folks for the replies.

Wannabe, I purchased the dual rotary from cockpitsonicusa.com. With the knobs they were $ 15 plus shipping. They are a nice touch for working through the menus of the GPS.

Cheers,

Geremy Britton
05-18-2009, 10:42 AM
That is brilliant, love it. Will you make me one!! haha

Buddym
05-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Great job! I am working on mine now. What interface do you use for controlling it? IOCards, Bodnar??

BuddyM

colt45
05-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Buddy,

Using the Bodnar board for my inputs. Really simple. I use the X version so no diodes which makes life a whole lot easier. The encoder software is a snap as well, no fancy programming. It is in my opinion the best piece of "hardware" I have. Not that I have used others but it truly is plug n play. And of course FSUIPC to set up the buttons and encoder to control the GPS functions and we are done. PS One LCD screen for the display as well.

Cheers,

makoy
05-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Hi Dave,

Looks great.
I start to make homemade boeing style FMC:s using OC keyscard and PSone screen.
Wondering, do you use composite connection to PC and what kind of displaycard you have, ATI?

Marco

ANDYSMITH
05-18-2009, 05:21 PM
I shure would appreciate a copy of the file with no bezel.

Could it be posted in the download section for all?

Andy Smith

colt45
05-18-2009, 05:26 PM
Marco,

I use the s video through an adapter that came with my video card to connect the PS One. My card is a Ge Force 9800 GT card which is a nvidia card.

Cheers,

colt45
05-18-2009, 05:29 PM
Andy,

I don't feel it is mine to post but I am sure Dave C3 will be happy to send a copy to you. Stay tuned he is sure to pick up on your request.

Cheers,

DaveC3
05-18-2009, 07:06 PM
The file is in the download section of this forum. It is called fs9gps.zip.

Take care

Dave

makoy
05-18-2009, 07:15 PM
Marco,

I use the s video through an adapter that came with my video card to connect the PS One. My card is a Ge Force 9800 GT card which is a nvidia card.

Cheers,

Thanks,

i have read about using that screen and though that only ATI works nicely with it? So thats not true, or maybe only if using VGA connection.
Did you have any proplems with it, i mean picture size or quality, or just connect and it works nicely.

Marco

colt45
05-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Marco,

It has been a few months since I first set up the PS One screen as a "monitor". I recall having to spend some time getting it to work through nvidia control panel. In the end I seem to remember that I was able to get it working when I used the adapter cable that came with my video card instead of the special s-video to compositeadapter I purchased on line. Never did get it to work.

Cheers,

makoy
05-20-2009, 04:20 AM
Thanks Dave,

So i will go with composite to tv-out, not even think about Vga connection.

Thanks