PDA

View Full Version : 737 Glare wings

Jackpilot
05-31-2009, 07:07 PM
My prototype:
Not totally 100% faithfull to the original but easy to make, cost zero, and looking good.(once painted)
Dimensions available on request.

HondaCop
05-31-2009, 09:51 PM
Looking good! Can we get the dimensions, please?

Carlos Corona
06-01-2009, 01:42 AM
You can use a combination of MDF and styro foam for construction, which can be easily sanded to give it shape and is painted without a problem, mine is 28cms long.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa309/modelatino/sim7-1.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa309/modelatino/CIMG0029-1.jpg

Also on the www.markuspilot.com homepage, you can find exclents drawings, I was based in their efforts to make my own

Newcastle737
03-07-2011, 05:40 PM
hi we are looking for help with the dimensions for the glare shield wings would it be ok to forward these to me thanks john

Newcastle737
03-07-2011, 05:50 PM
hi we are looking for help with the dimensions for the glare shield wings would it be ok to forward these to me thanks john

Sean Nixon
03-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Hi Newcastle John.

Is that upon Tyne or under Lyme?

Sean

Newcastle737
03-08-2011, 06:50 AM
Hi Sean no we are Newcastle upon Tyne thanks for the reply as I said any help with the construction of the base and dimensions would be great.seems each direction I go I stumble,
John

Sean Nixon
03-08-2011, 12:56 PM
John, I sent you a PM.

egkkman
06-07-2011, 06:19 AM
Hello Sean,

I'm Dave from Portsmouth and have just started my 738 build.

I have literally spent hours trying to find dims for the glare wings without success; just wondering if I too could relieve you of the dimensions?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Sean Nixon
06-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Dave

I have the Engravity glare wings, same as these...

http://www.flyengravity.com/products/large_00000030_0001.jpg

Not the easiest thing to measure, but if you need any measurements, let me know which ones.

Sean

egkkman
06-08-2011, 02:28 AM
Hi Sean,

That is very kind of you, thanks.

Let me think............

Using the point where the glare wing meets the glare shield as a datum point:

The depth (fore aft) from the point where the MCP/EFIS meets the glare wing (gw) to the face where the master caution/six pack sits.

The depth (fore aft) of the recess that the six pack sits in.

The depth from the top to the bottom at the point where MCP/EFIS meets the glare wing.

I am assuming (dangerous) that the line of the gw under the master caution sixpack area to the outer edge is a straight/level line. If so the point at which the curve down begins underneath when measured from the inner most point (near MCP) and the measurement of it at it's lowest point from the inner most point (near MCP) and it's depth.

Overall width (port starboard).

I plan to only construct the front bit (I hope that is descriptive enough) so the area underneath and the fiddly bits underneath out edge I do not need.

One final thing please; I have tried to find the measurement of the overhang of the Glareshield over the MCP and believe it is 40mm. Can you corroborate this?

If this is all too much I completely understand. Your attached photo is quite a help in it's self.

Very many thanks

Dave

Sean Nixon
06-14-2011, 01:43 PM
Hi Dave, sorry for the delay in responding.

Here goes, hopefully I interpreted your requirements correctly!

Using the point where the glare wing meets the glare shield as a datum point:

The depth (fore aft) from the point where the MCP/EFIS meets the glare wing (gw) to the face where the master caution/six pack sits.

80mm

The depth (fore aft) of the recess that the six pack sits in.

35mm

The depth from the top to the bottom at the point where MCP/EFIS meets the glare wing.

70mm

I am assuming (dangerous) that the line of the gw under the master caution sixpack area to the outer edge is a straight/level line.

Looks straight enough to me!

If so the point at which the curve down begins underneath when measured from the inner most point (near MCP)...

220mm

...and the measurement of it at it's lowest point from the inner most point (near MCP)...

330mm

...and it's depth.

25mm

Overall width (port starboard).

345mm

One final thing please; I have tried to find the measurement of the overhang of the Glareshield over the MCP and believe it is 40mm. Can you corroborate this?

Mine is 70mm, but looking at photo's it looks about the same depth as the six pack recess, which is 35mm, so 40mm sounds about right.

Very many thanks

You're welcome. If any of the dimensions seem wrong, I may have picked it up wrong, just let me know.

I hope that helps you out somehow.

Sean

PS - I was born in Portsmouth (guess who's Dad was in the Navy) :roll:

egkkman
06-15-2011, 02:10 AM
Morning Sean,

Wow, that is very kind of you. I am starting the glarewings this weekend hopefully. Currently I am struggling with the side windows; a carpenter I am not:roll:

The naval base @ Portsmouth is still busy but more with commercial shipping than RN ships. Good to see Manchester & Illustrious come home, not so good seeing them on the scrap heap though.

Once again thanks for your help.

My regards

Dave

egkkman
07-08-2011, 01:53 AM
Hi Sean,

Just thought I would let you know I have not started the Glarewings yet (best laid plans), but will let you know how I get on when I do.

Best

Dave

egkkman
11-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Hi Sean,

I did finally create the glarewings and they look okay although they are not exactly the right size.

I apologise for not letting you know as I said I would. I looked for the post months ago and could not find it but just stumbled across it looking for someting else.

Thanks for your help, it made things easier.

Dave

Sean Nixon
11-24-2011, 01:16 PM
No problem Dave, glad I could help.

Burkhard
12-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Hi,
i make self my glare wing. Itīs very easy.
Look here:

www.Homecockpit-737NG.blogspot.com

in the register MIP you can see 3 pictures

Burkhard

egkkman
03-02-2012, 07:10 AM
Philip,

I have replied to your PM but not sure if it sent properly.

If you don't get a reply please let me know.

Dave

davemuir
03-01-2014, 05:54 AM
Hi
im just about to build some glare wings
I would be very grateful for the dimensions
thanks
dave

davemuir
03-05-2014, 10:39 AM
Hi Sean
Would it be possible to send the dimensions of your glarewings
thanks
dave

Westozy
03-05-2014, 08:40 PM
Nice work Jack, very similar to the set I made for sim Mk.1, I suggest gluing on black vinyl rather than paint, it's not that hard and better result not so susceptible to scratches. Do you already have annunciators? I have a spare set of FDS annunciator/recall indicators that I bought new long before I got the complete FDS glare wings. Let me know if you are interested in them for mate's rates!! Cheers Gwyn

egkkman
03-06-2014, 02:55 AM
Hi Dave,

I have only just seen your post so sorry for the slow reply.

I did make he glarewings (GWs) and am pleased with the result. However, I am not making an exact replica of a 737, I cannot afford to do so! I made my GWs from balsa wood. It is very easy to work with but is actually a hardwood and so is strong enough to do the job.

I made them by layering the balsa wood, cutting each layer roughly to size and then gluing the layers together. Some sanding and drilling holes for the master caution, fire bell and six pack and then covering with black leatherette finished them off.

I think you will need to adjust the sizes that Sean gave above unless your parts are exactly as his are but the sizes he gave are the sizes I used as a starting point. The hardest dimension to find was the overall depth of the GWs, I will measure mine for you.

You will need to take account of the glare shield width, whether you are using real master caution/fire bell switches, the size of the six pack, the width of the glare shield and whether or not you will be adding the clock button mounted on the GWs.

I'll do my best to help. I'll get the measurement mentioned above as soon as possible, hopefully this evening.

Regards

Dave

rlafolle
06-12-2014, 04:33 PM
I'm also just getting started on my 737 and would like to start on the glare wing for the
Captains side, I would like the measurements also, thanks.

rlafolle
06-12-2014, 04:36 PM
Would like Dimensions, thanks