PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Help Which MCP

Hypofx
07-08-2009, 04:28 AM
Hi All,

I need your help guys, I`d like to buy an mcp unit, but i dont know which one.

I dont want to build a cockpit only for my desktop.

1. Opencockpit MCP
2. goflight
3.Cpflight

I want to use with fs9 and fsx too.

Which one do you recommend?

thanks for your helps

Jackpilot
07-08-2009, 09:57 AM
All three are top choice but,
for your needs I would favor 100% GoFlight Units
Good Price
Excellent service(by phone)
Bulletproof hardware
Really plug and play, nothing to add or program (load the software, plug the unit, click and fly)
The Go Flight Advanced autopilot module at $325 is a sure bet for multipurpose desktop simming.
http://www.goflightinc.com/order/popup_image.php?pID=41

The MCP PRO at $500 is better suited to Airliners, but unless you use project Magenta or other complex softwares with Vnav/Lnav capability , this one is an overkill.
Jack

Trevor Hale
07-08-2009, 11:16 AM
For Look, Feel and Realism it doesn't get any better then CP Flight. But for Price and functionality. I agree with Jack. Goflight is a happy medium.

Trev

Hypofx
07-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Thanks guys for the fast response.

So for goflight mcp pro and cpflight mcp i need project magenta to comunicate with the sim for functions like vnav lnav ?

goflight mcp pro good for fsx too?

I fly a lot with pmdg 737 and b200 and cheyenne, the simple goflight is ok with these (hdg,alt,spd)?

Hmm and what if i want to use pmdg737 and vnav lnav, is it a problematic part?? I've saw an article about lvld767 is better supported becasue of the sdk.

To make it short,

for a simple one i should go with goflight advanced autopilot module,
if i want more i should go with the cpflight or goflight mcp pro? and i need to buy additional programs to to use with pmdg?

Jackpilot
07-08-2009, 12:36 PM
For LNAV VNAV you need a CDU to program the flight. Getting complex for a desktop.
PMDG has one but I am not sure it is easy to interface with a hard CDU.
All depends what type of flying you like.
Do not forget that a fully automated flight (CDU+LNAV VNAV) once entered in the Flight computer is boring to death!
If you prefer Flying your airplane, the GF autopilot module is more than enough as it allows you to follow a route from VOR to VOR (LNAV without waypoints) to climb and descent at a chosen rate, to have autothrottle controlling your speed, to reach and maintain your chosen altitude... consider it like a perfect first officer when you let it handle the yoke!
As far as I am concerned THIS is flying!
PS I have full auto on my 737 but I handfly it most of the time.
Jack

Hypofx
07-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Thanks now getting clear to me and Im totaly agree with you:) I also prefer not to fly full auto. I'd like to fly with B200 Cheyenne PC-12, and pmdg737
So I should go with the goflight unit, can i use it with fsx too? Is it hard to configure with add ons

What about the VRinsight combo? I know it doesnt look like the real one, but mcp efis com together.

Jackpilot
07-08-2009, 05:01 PM
As far as I know it works with basically everything.
Check GF site and search this forum.
You do not need an EFIS if you do not use a glass cockpit.

fuerteventura
07-08-2009, 05:54 PM
I'm using the CPFlight MCP along with the EFIS. I've never had any problems with it and it is compatible with PMDG 737 and 747, LevelD 767, the default B737 and all the Glass Cockpit software.
I've always used it with PMDG and it interfaces perfectly (although I'm starting to build an NG cockpit).
I've never used the GoFLight Unit but I understand it is compatible with PMDG and LevelD. FOr me, I chose the CPFlight unit as the colour scheme replicated tat of an NG, and you can connect it to the radio modules that CPFlight do, also the correct colour scheme for a 737NG.
Let me know if you want to know anything else.

dnoize
07-08-2009, 05:56 PM
So for goflight mcp pro and cpflight mcp i need project magenta to comunicate with the sim for functions like vnav lnav ?

goflight mcp pro good for fsx too?

I fly a lot with pmdg 737 and b200 and cheyenne, the simple goflight is ok with these (hdg,alt,spd)?

the cpflight mcp's are fully compatible with the pmdg 737 (when using the seperately available flightsimlabs driver).
And also with the level-d 767 and the basic functions of the default fs9 and fsx autopilot. So you could even use it with the cheyenne and the b200

Hmm and what if i want to use pmdg737 and vnav lnav, is it a problematic part?? I've saw an article about lvld767 is better supported becasue of the sdk.

no problem at all with the cpflight gear. the pmdg 737 has an excellent software cdu.
Indeed the level-d is much better for interfacing the remaining hardware because of the sdk.

Although rumours are the pmdg ngx will have an sdk too (if and when they release it).

i believe the goflight is not compatible anymore with pmdg 737 because pmdg stopped selling the neccesairy drivers for the goflight mcp and the flyengravity cdu last november.

for a simple one i should go with goflight advanced autopilot module,
if i want more i should go with the cpflight or goflight mcp pro? and i need to buy additional programs to to use with pmdg?

in the past the cpflight could be used without the flightsimlabs driver. You could use cpflights own driver which used key emulation. With the newer firmwares this is not possible anymore. Maybe you can find a second hand unit with the older firmware.

Stef

Hypofx
07-09-2009, 02:50 AM
Ohh Guys thank you you are very friendly thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

So basicly the cpflight mcp which fits for me, i can use with fs9 and fsx, and if i want to use with pmdg 737 i can buy flightsimlabs driver and all the functions are working?

One more thing guys, so basicly i have three options if we take out goflight
cpflight mcp+flightsimlabs drivers for fs9 and fsx approx:500EUR+160EUR
opencockpit mcp, 335.00EUR and i dont need special driver but only keymapping for PMDG
vrinsight combo. 330.00EUR same as above, but with radio and efis.

I saw cplight mcp and the pro but they are out of stock. what do you think if i go with cpflight the normal mcp is also good or the pro, becasue its almost double price.

Im also thinking about opencocpits products. mcp, radio, and general cockpit panel ( lights, gears, flaps) its approx 550 EUR all what do you think?

Jackpilot
07-09-2009, 09:12 AM
I think, very nicely, (because we all went through that stage) that you still have to think about what you want to achieve before buying anything.
Desktop..but with some panels...Cheyenne...737...PC12..FS9 FSX...
You might have to set some priorities.
My humble opinion

Hypofx
07-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Yes its true:)
basicly I`d like to fly mostly with GA 65%( cheyenne, pc-12, b200) and 35% heavies ( pmdg737 and maybe leveld767) and i use fs9 and fsx.

I know its hard thats why Im here:)) I know its difficult to have something which can be good for everything.

Jackpilot
07-09-2009, 12:13 PM
You may end up with average everything.
The fun and interest of flight is doing things 100% correct, because your life and your passengers life is on the line.
If you do otherwise, in a simulated aircraft, especially a desktop, you are just playing a sophisticated Nintendo and you will get bored within a year.
You ask for advice, I'll give you mine.

Go a step further than desktop.
Build a Cheyenne cockpit (does not have to be an exact repro), with some GF units, like a small radio stack, (with 2 units you can emulate evreything)an autopilot, a yoke and pedals, and two toggle units . Or buy the VR unit (which is totally irrealistic)
With that you will be able to work most systems. No interface cards, no drivers, no problems, just connecting USB plugs.
Buy second hand from members when available.
Use FS9 for a superb fluidity with an average computer. .

Get a Cheyenne manual and you are in for years of learning and fun.
Check:
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16493

Over and out.
Jack

Hypofx
07-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Thank you!

"The fun and interest of flight is doing things 100% correct" I totally agree, I have PPL so i know what you mean.

I fly with MS FS more than 10 years, i have yoke, extra thottle, pedal, big lcd. Just i thought now its a good time to move a little further.