PDA

View Full Version : Hard wire power via Battery switch or rely on software?

Jetprovost
10-18-2009, 07:15 PM
A QUESTION - Do you normally hardwire your switches to a bus powered via the batt switch or do you let the software and interface card control it? For example, nav lights wont come on with the batt switch off, but fsx/interface knows that and doesnt send a signal when you play with light switches with the batt off. Alternatively I can power the nav light switch via a battery switch powered bus to guarantee the lights wont come on with battery switch off.
I know for push to test lights I have to hard wire, but for other switches I am not sure what is best. - Maybe it doesn't matter...

Thanks,
Stuart

autocadplease
10-19-2009, 12:49 AM
Either way or both. Check out Ian's site www.737ng.co.uk/overhead.htm

metamarty
10-25-2009, 09:02 AM
If you're building a 737 (don't know about others), I'd definately go for the software way. A 737 does not disconnect its battery from the busses when turning the battery switch to off. The battery switch is used to turn on the "switched hot battery bus", while the "hot battery bus" is always connected, regardles the state of the switch.

Also, for accurate simulation, you do want to relate to the position of this switch for things like APU starting. And when you're engines or APU are providing power, the aircraft is almost completely functioning with the battery switch off (provided some switched hot battery bus equipment)