PDA

View Full Version : Pilots miss the airport by 150 miles - Asleep?

TasKiNG
10-23-2009, 12:50 PM
I nod off whilst flying my sim all the time but its worrying when real pilots do it:)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8321748.stm

dodiano
10-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Totally Fell asleep.... Yeah they talk about pilot error but not of the fact that pilots are flying tired....

autocadplease
10-23-2009, 09:27 PM
but not of the fact that pilots are flying tired....

Very true!

Tony
10-24-2009, 04:47 AM
Not surprised if you have to be on the go for 12 to 15 hrs a day

PascalHaldenstein
10-24-2009, 08:43 AM
Read it in the newspaper this morning and made me laugh. But it also made me think about if this is a sign that pilots are often working too long and the fact that the get tired isn't surprising anymore.

cheers

autocadplease
10-24-2009, 01:05 PM
It is weird. Long haul flights over 8 hours have one relief pilot, flights over 12 hours have two relief pilots. Yet, like you say, some duty days for some pilots are over 12 hours without any relief!:shock:

Ronson2k9
10-24-2009, 07:20 PM
I still think that it is a fatal error to fly when you can't. You are not only gambling with your life but the lives of your passengers. If the work load is to much then you need to be aware of you condition and take yourself off duty. If you don't then you are responsible if you don't take measures to ensure your safety.

If pilots that are over worked removed themselves from duty the airline would be forced to do something about it. The FAA has rules to govern such situations I'm sure. A trucker hauling a load of tomatoes can only be on the road for 10 hours at a stretch and all he can do is spread vegetables all over the highway should something go wrong. With a crew of 10 and perhaps 200+ passengers things are quite a bit more serious.

I would leave the profession for my own safety if such a situation happened to me. My life is more valuable to me then a fine funeral should I parish from being overworked..