PDA

View Full Version : project magenta qestion???

spiro
12-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Hi guys
can any one just explain a bit of PM as i will be getting a moduel that needs
PM to work as i got a price on PM it is a bit out of my bugget to buy as it needs multi pcs to work as i have heard,
my qestion is can i buy the softwere in steps??i did ask PM but its been 3 weeks and havent got a answer yet:sad:
it will help in steps to get the softwere because i will need multi pc
so witch way sould i go with it???
p.s. can i find any one intrested in selling there softwere i havent heard of any one selling there softwere before:oops::oops:
regards

mpl330
12-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Hi,

Yes you do buy PM in "pieces" - the components that you buy all on their own are:

Glass Cockpit - depending on aircraft
Systems
MCP
CDU

I believe you can run each section on its own e.g. run GC without systems...

Sometimes I have seen people offering to sell PM with their hardware...

Cheers
Mike

Sean Nixon
12-05-2009, 03:55 PM
They have changed the way they sell the modules. You cannot buy the MCP and FMC/CDU seperately anymore.

For an airliner setup, there are 4 options:

1. Captains side Glass Cockpit inc. MCP and CDU

2. First Officers Glass Cockpit and RCDU

3. PM Systems

4. Instructor Station

airplane91
12-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Hy Man.

Yes you need to pay ProjectMagenta,

I can give you the price for boeing suitable.

captain side 800€
Include
captain PFD ND
MCP
CDU

F/O side 400€
include
F/O PFD ND
remote CDU

Overhead 400€

intructeur station 400€

if you buy Project Magenta with computer you don't have after sale services and you loss your password is finished..

Good look

Jacques

spiro
12-05-2009, 04:05 PM
thank you mike
i got a email from PM and they did not have the softwere
selling like that i am intrested in the airbus softwere
it was like 2 packeges
1 capt side PD ND/FCU/EFIS/MCDU

2 F/O side
it was like this on a list with2 prices
and nothing else
i will try again sending them a email asking about buying it pice buy pice
and also whant to know how many pc i will need
thanks mike for the info;)
regards spiro

spiro
12-05-2009, 04:10 PM
yep Jacques
that the prices i got too so as i understand its 800 euros and not step buy step
:(:(:(:(:(:(i mite change the module i have to think about it :roll::roll:
regards

blueskydriver
12-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Basically, Project Magenta is exspensive yes, but it is worth it in the long run. It is available in piece mail per say; you can buy PM CG, MCP, CDU/Auto Pilot-known as Glass Cokpit Captain Side, PM Remote CDU-known as first officer side, individually. In fact, I have attached a price list for these. It is the most recent pricing I got from Katy Pluta from PM.

However, here is the down side. I purchased parts of the software, but not all. I did not get the PM Remote CDU (First Officer Side) and at the initial time it cost 199 Euros ($292.65), now it cost 399 Euros ($592.67). So, that's a big jump over time and consider the US dollar is not trading well that's a difference of $300 US for me.

Therefore, if you can afford to get it all now, do so. I've never seen PM software go down in price. As far as purchasing software through the means of buying someone else's hardware with PM; well, as far as it's known, the Project Magenta Company does not like this and they won't support a second owner purchase.

Finally, look at it this way. Buy the software now for the current prices and always get free lifetime updates and good support with the software. Put it on computers that you either build or purchase, and remember that they don't need to be really high-end machines.

Or, you can try to buy it cheaper on machines that someone else has and also, has worked on, and you inherit any bad things that might have been done to them, and PM will not support you. There is a saying "You get what you pay for" I mean this in the nicest way, sometimes things are not meant to be cheap or done in a cheap way. In this case, Project Magenta is one of those things...

By the way, have you tried out the demo versions yet? If not, do so as this will give you an idea of what decisions to make...

Good Luck

EDIT: After reading your last post. It's 799 Euros for the Glass Cockpit part. You don't need First Officer Side or PM Systems (Overhead) until later. Also, if you were meaning step by step as in making incremental payments to Project Magenta, they will not do that...

Sean Nixon
12-05-2009, 04:33 PM
In a recent correspondance to PM I asked if the free upgrades were for 'life'.

At the moment they are, but they mentioned this might not be the case in the future. However, I didn't get clarification if this would be for new users from that point on, or whether existing users would have to pay for upgrades too.

Mister-B
12-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Okay, maybe this is a stupid question, I don't know but, can't you just take vga/dvi/hdmi/whatever video output-splitter and use the same computer for the Captain and first officer displays? Then it'll cost you 399 euro's less and if you use 2 screens for both displays (that's a total of four screens) u caqn just put them in the right order too... and are you allowed to run one program with one license on multiple computers?

Just wondering.

Mr. B

Sean Nixon
12-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Okay, maybe this is a stupid question, I don't know but, can't you just take vga/dvi/hdmi/whatever video output-splitter and use the same computer for the Captain and first officer displays? Then it'll cost you 399 euro's less and if you use 2 screens for both displays (that's a total of four screens) u caqn just put them in the right order too... and are you allowed to run one program with one license on multiple computers?

Just wondering.

Mr. B

You could do that, but a couple of points to note:

1. You wouldn't fit 4 screens into a realistic panel
2. If you use 2 screens, the PFD/ND couldn't be reversed for the F/O side.

Mister-B
12-05-2009, 05:44 PM
What if you use small screens, like those old flat screens are smaller like these for a car pc or something like that, it can be cheaper if you find a good deal.
And aren't there other programs that do the same for less money, i think this is way too expansive.

Mr. B

blueskydriver
12-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Mister B

Yes you can use one computer with a dual card (cloned mode) or a VGA/DVI splitter, and thereby place the image on two monitors. Behind the MIP you would have two LCD screens, but in front looks like four small screens. As Sean pointed out, when you look at the MIP the order is:

Left Screen=Capt PFD
Left Center Screen=Capt ND
Center Screen=EICAS
Right Center Screen=FO ND
Right Screen=FO PFD

Therefore, the way PM works is you see PFD/ND or you can flip it to ND/PFD, but no matter what it will be backwards on one side or the other because it's backwards physically on the MIP.

As far as the reason for the second FO side of the software that is purchased seperately, you need that if you're using two EFIS units and you want the Capt and FO to be able to control these and see data on their PFD/ND screens independently of each other.

Of course you might not need this function, if it's just you flying, but if you have another person join; well, they need seperate controller functions. Additionally, this makes the second FO CDU indpendently controlled as well.

Finally, you purchase on license copy, but you can place it on several computers. For example, most use a seperate computers for the Capt PFD/ND, the EICAS, the CDU, the MCP/Autopilot. So, that's 4 PC's, then you can add a computer for PMSystems, a computer for the Instructors Station and a computer for the FO Side CDU/PFD/ND.

blueskydriver
12-05-2009, 07:11 PM
As for smaller screens, if each screen cost you $100 dollars, that's $400 total. When likely two 19inch LCD screens could be purchased for under $200 each, so that saves you money. Plus you would need four outputs from the computers, as opposed to two outputs for the LCD screens.

Yes, PM is expensive depending on your point of view and personal funding. However, try to see it differently. If Project Magenta has say 5 people working at their company and they sell this software, lets say total 1,996 Euros for the B737 Suite. And, they likely sell 10 copies per year because there are only so many people who do B737 Cockpits at this level.

Therefore, at that price times 10=19,960 Euros. now divide by 5 people and that equals 3,992 Euros per person, per year. Divide by 52 weeks and that equals 76.77 Euros per week income, per person. So, when you look at it, these people are making peanuts to write the software, keep it updated, provide sales, maintain a website and provide email support.

Of course they might have other products or as some people say, big contracts with big companies. Well, that's all in good, but if PM went and sold this software to the same big companies for many thousands of Euros and we the little people basically get the same product for merely peanuts, we should feel lucky!

Finally, there have been many, many and many arguments about PM and that the cost is not cheap enough. However, flight simulation at the level of cockpit replication is not cheap either; especially, when you want it to appear to be like the real thing! You can get something cheaper of course like PMDG or whatever, but the saying goes "you get what you pay for" and the other saying "skimp on paying for it now, just means you pay for it twice later"

Let me add, I mean you or no one any disrespect. I'm just trying to help people make a choice...

spiro
12-06-2009, 05:22 AM
thanks for the tips guys
when saying step buy step i ment getting the softwere in that way
say frist i would buy the fcu/efis softwere and then after a littel time i would buy the mcdu softwere and finaly the pfd /nd in that maner
not get all the packege and pay!!! step buy step
i belive its worth every cent but at the moment i can not afford all the package 799 euro i spent money on a moduel and are waitting for it to arive
soon andits a bit disaponting that i will not be abel to use it until i can gather all the moneyfor PM thats what i whanted to know about step buy step,
imagen having a fcu efis sitting on top of a nice mip!!! and having to use the mouse to change hdg on final approch:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:
regards

Sean Nixon
12-06-2009, 05:44 AM
What is the module you have bought?

Someone here maybe able to help you get it working without PM.

blueskydriver
12-06-2009, 09:43 AM
Okay Spiro, I understand, but no PM only sells it all tied together...

spiro
12-06-2009, 10:57 AM
its a cockpitsonic moduel,ok thanks guys for the info so i will see what i will do
regards