PDA

View Full Version : Please help me prove partner wrong!

irnwho99
12-05-2009, 07:35 PM
hey guys i am not sure if this is the correct area but i was not sure where else write it. Also I dont mean to beg but let me explain.

I have wanted my own simpit for awhile. I have just bought a nice house and money is tight. I asked the girlfriend if i could build one and she said not a chance unless its free.

Now that got me thinking 1. To get 1 over her by not spending anythin so she can not moan 2. Well alot of you guys must have stuff lying around you do not need.

I just wanted to cry out to the community to see if they can help me at my time of need and donate to my project in anyway.

So far the community has given me 2 sets of yoke/pedals and a triple head2go. One guy gave me £50 to help out and a company is sending me over a 22" touchscreen for the overhead. I did swing the touchscreen a little though as a sample.

Anyway I am sorry 2 beg but this is what its come down to.

kermit
12-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Where did you get this stuff , I`d like to have it too.
In your second line I noticed were things got wrong,
You ASK your girlfriend?????:shock::shock::shock::shock::roll:
you silly silly boy, didn`t you learn anything,
As soon as you are asking she aready made here mind up, NO NO NO.
fortunatly you have a girlfriend and not a wife , so you could kick her out.:evil:
Or you could find a decent job.:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
But if you couldn`t spend the money why not look for something in your reach?
greetz

blueskydriver
12-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Well, it's nice that some people have donated items to you, but I suppose it's time someone says "You have to choose your house and girlfriend or simulator and yourself!" Eventually, that is what it came down to for some people...really!

Flight Simulation at the level beyond a desktop setup will not be cheap or sadly to say free. Like any other hobby such as car restoration, auto racing, horseback riding, or hunting for example, all have a great deal of cost. Therefore, you must expect the same with flight simulation. In fact, since you cannot get a simulator as easy as some of life's other hobbies, it makes it that much more costly.

Therefore, let me suggest that you start saving money and spend your time waiting by learning to fly on the simulator on the desktop. So many peolpe join MyCockpit.org and jump in too quick. They see cockpits that people have spent many years building and working on. Thus, the new people only see the drool factor of these sims and want one without really knowing much about them...

Finally, please don't take me as putting you off or anyone else for that matter. I'm just stating that you'll have to sacrifice something somewhere in order to get a sim; unless, you're really rich.

I don't think any sim builders in here are "rich" It just looks like they are because of those sims, 10 years in the making, are making them look that way.

Good Luck!

fordgt40
12-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Sounds like many emails I receive from Nigeria :roll:

Skylane
12-05-2009, 08:10 PM
FordGT40..... we are like brothers in arms, boy would I be rich if I had replied... and only 1% was true

Joe Cygan
12-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Have you tried this?

http://i45.tinypic.com/iz6zh1.jpg

Skylane
12-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Wow Joe... that is rude ! That's more like "no more fear of flying" :rolleyes:

Matt Olieman
12-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Nice Joe, I like that, I should of tried that a long time ago. LMAO

Free stuff, send it my way too..... If only I knew I could of build a sim for free.... WOW!!!!!! I guess I must of missed out on something or another.

Ronson2k9
12-05-2009, 10:42 PM
I'm thinking what you need to do is get your 'partner' to work with you and not against you. If you involve her in what you are doing and not cut her out "this is mine stay away" then you're co-operation level will increase. Or you can trade off. That is if there is something she can't live without but also costs money then both things can be shared as they are both stemming from the same source 'funds' You have yours and I have mine. Although the first one is best.

It's not a bad thing to ask for help or even advice. There are quite a few things you can do very cheaply and then as your skills and money grow replace with better equipment. Like anything there is an entry level that you can get in on the ground floor at. You may also find that if you are trying your hardest to keep it as inexpensive as possible then your 'partner' may also reward your ingenuity.

Show her how creative you are. Use recycled materials and scraps for building materials. They can be found at RE-Stores. These are outlets that sell materials from demolished buildings. You may also find stuff in surplus stores and the like. It takes more work and research plus creative thinking but you would be surprised what the freely unfettered mind can come up with when you want something desperately enough.

Best of luck
Ron

Chaser
12-06-2009, 02:42 AM
At the risk of sounding rude, you really need to enlist the cooperation of your significant other, if she is TRULY that significant. "Getting one over" on any woman is a sure way to open up the other half of that bed.

Additionally, if you have such tight constraints, starting with something like a cessna or other small GA aircraft may be a bit better. Something like a 737 or the other simpits on here WILL cost you money at one point or another....and if your s/o is unhappy with the prospects of spending money, she may be even less excited with having a 10 foot square structure popping up in the home.

Additionally, starting a project with no financial means for continuation is made even riskier when the items are donated to you. This means that you cannot ETHICALLY sell something that was donated to you, as you are sinking the guy behind you. On the other hand, if you retain it and invest the finances you draw the wrath of the pair of X Chromosomes staying with you. Without the finances invested, it becomes junk.

Starting something massive with this is in my opinion a VERY bad idea with no good way out without any financial investment. I would suggest creating a plan B and C...maybe even D, or else you may not need to use a furnace with how hot that house is going to be. I'm not saying don't do it...but at least consider cheaper alternatives for the time being.

Just my 2cents. Please take it as constructive criticism, not "That dude didn't get his hug today".
Jon

Steve A
12-06-2009, 04:18 AM
Someone gave you a triplehead to go and a touchscreen!!!!!! Wow.

and there is me making panels from cardboard :mrgreen:

irnwho99
12-06-2009, 06:19 AM
yeh people have given me this stuff but at the same time I really respect the thoughts of you guys. When I think about it if I put my own work into it I guess I will feel more of a satisfaction sense.

You are also prob wondering how the **** I got the touchscreen. Well I thought it was clever and sneeky at the same time. Dont flame for it as I was only thinking outside of the box with this.

I contacted a firm in china who make these things and said I would be interested in buying 300 units of said item. That got the on the hook straight away. I then told them that before advancing I needed to see a sample of their work. Long story short they sent one over for me and the rest is history.

What do you guys suggest I start at in this case?

fordgt40
12-06-2009, 06:48 AM

How about reviewing your ethics

irnwho99
12-06-2009, 06:52 AM
I guess I am going to get flamed then. Let it start and get it over with.

steveeverson
12-06-2009, 06:53 AM
I contacted a firm in china who make these things and said I would be interested in buying 300 units of said item. That got the on the hook straight away. I then told them that before advancing I needed to see a sample of their work. Long story short they sent one over for me and the rest is history.

I Would start by contacting the firm in china and returning their touchscreen. We have no room in this hobby for that kind of behaviour.
Steve

irnwho99
12-06-2009, 06:58 AM
ok ok if this is what people here want I will do. I would rather be on the good side of you guys than bad as I hopefully will need your knowledge going forward.

kermit
12-06-2009, 09:06 AM
You won`t get flamed,
But our first impression of you will stick for some time.
greetz

blueskydriver
12-06-2009, 09:40 AM
Okay, so you'll get credit for being honest, but do send the touch screen back. It's not right to deceive the company in China, and then use that as an introduction to a story about your girlfriend who controls you and your money...

Seriously, no one wants to be rude to you and albeit, I'm trying not to as well. However, there are so many other pilots in here that are struggling everyday with money and being forced to sell their sims, yet you're throwing pie in their faces!

Plus, there are so many younger pilots in here that will look at you and get the wrong ideas about building their own sims and how to get parts. In this "Give Me!" society we live in, the youngsters will see this as a plus.

Finally, good thing this is a forum and informal and not formal or in person. Could you imagine how many would not like you right now?

Good luck with your simulator...

EDIT: I just told my wife Karen this story about you and she had only one word for you... KARMA!

You're getting bad Karma from us for stealing the touchscreen from China

capetonian
12-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Wow, . not really the best way to introduce yourself to a forum. I would have started with the: "Hallo, my name is X, I want to build a sim but have a little problem." in the introduction forum.
Most of us here are on a budget, and making stuff from all kinds of things around the house or in the workshop that we think might come in handy, **** I have been hamster-ing old cables, electric motors and plugs for heaven knows how long.

One thing you can and will always get for free on this forum is damned good advice from people who have built, are building or who planning to build a cockpit.

With that, a bit of creativity (I'm not even going to comment on your touchscreen story, but that is exactly what I don't mean with creativity!) and a low budget one can go a long way. The most important thing to do is to plan it. Where are you going to start? with a MIP? A sheet of 8mm MDF (244x122cm) costs 12 euro in Holland. With a few sheets of MDF in different thicknesses and some skill with power tools (I really suck at sawing!!) and you can practically build a MIP, FMC stand, pedestal. /// cover them with printed drawings of the necessary panels and replace them with the real deal as you go...

I have just this past week bought an MCP and yesterday the EFIS to go with it, .. something I have been planning to buy for years. Next major investment will be a quadrant, .. in about 1,5 years time, in the mean time I will make one myself to use.

If you really are into the hobby and are passionate about building a sim .... you can do it, .. it takes time, patience and a lot of motivation (you can get that here, visit another UK builder, go for a flip in someones sim!).

Pfff, . sorry to sound so long-winded.

irnwho99
12-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Well I want to make a formal apology. Having taken everything I feel really disheartened and upset. I understand the error of my ways big time and I am sorry to all the people I have upset. I never meant to upset people I think the excitment of it all got ahold of me. When I get an idea in my head I always hit the gnd running without actually thinking of the pros and cons.

So again I now see this app was big time wrong and I am sorry to the whole community for my actions.

capetonian
12-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Well I want to make a formal apology. Having taken everything I feel really disheartened and upset. I understand the error of my ways big time and I am sorry to all the people I have upset. I never meant to upset people I think the excitment of it all got ahold of me. When I get an idea in my head I always hit the gnd running without actually thinking of the pros and cons.

So again I now see this app was big time wrong and I am sorry to the whole community for my actions.

I think I can safely say, on behalf on myself and most if not all of the people here, apology accepted... BUT, .. there is a list of do's and don'ts ..... You don't have to stick to them but at least read them and give them some thought.

DON'T:
*Put your missus before your sim!
*Exclude your missus from your project.
*Try and score free touchscreens, imagine if someone was ripping your company off.....
*Give up on your project now......

DO:
*Make a plan of attack.
*Split your project up into phases, MIP, FMC, Overhead, whatever, .. split it into do-able hurdles, .. it's easir to jump 10 hurdles one after another then it is to try and clear a mountain on your first jump and the more you jumpo the more you learn, .. the next one just becomes easier!
*Pop back in here from time to time and ask, ask, ask, and ask. Remember, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers, .. this is a massive pool of knowledge and knowledge is only worth anything if it is shared, .. that's what we do here!!!

Don;t be disheartened or upset, you did something wrong, a bunch of us (none of us as innocent as an angel) all wagged fingers at you, ... you saw your mistake and accepted it. Now move on and get that darn plan of attack drawn up!

irnwho99
12-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Thanks mate. Once fully moved into my house I will start on it. Plus like you said I will include her otherwise it will be more hassle than anything lol

Chaser
12-06-2009, 04:49 PM

I'm not upset in the least. I AM concerned though. If you truly want a spouse at some time, then your significant other needs to be involved and at the very least accepting.

My personal concern was that by embarking on this project that you would get halfway there and realize that you can't get the other halfway, and then you're stuck with a bunch of stuff that you can't use, a disappointment, and a significant other that can now say "I told you so". You don't have to give up on the project entirely, but simply start small so that you have something to work with....and then you can build resources so that when you have the financial ability to go to a larger project, then you can proceed, and maybe by then she'll be more accepting after seeing it's just not a phase.

I hope you figure something out, and don't give up...just try to think within the capabilities at present, and then you can always upgrade later.
Jon

Ronson2k9
12-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Involving her will make it so much easier on you in the short and long term. Involvement is a two way street though you have to get involved in what she is doing to. Supporting each other is why your together in the first place. Hate to go all marriage councliller on you but you help her and she'll help you.

Now.. Starting out you have to check what you have against what you need. The shortest line between those two involves the most money. You will be trading your time for money. What you want fast = expensive what you can wait/work for = cheaper. What Bob Villa would call Sweat Equity. Luckily you are at a point in time when connecting stuff to a computer is a pretty easy process. Back in the old days you would need I/O cards and programing skills. Now it can be done with USB cards and what ever you need to activate the control you want. Depending on the type of aircraft you want to replicate in a full size mock up. The more complex the plane the more work you will be doing so you may as has been mentioned get your feet wet as it were on a smaller simpler aircraft. There are plenty of GA aircraft to choose from and you can grow that idea into a bigger one with a bit of pre planning. There isn't a pilot out there that hasn't gotten his training on a small aircraft. No one on day one of flight school goes for a check flight in a Boeing. They all got there training on a GA. So that is a great place for a first time Sim Builder to learn and practice all that you need to know to fly a bigger more complex aircraft.

That's what I'll be doing. It's a GA I'm starting out with. Then a commercial transport I'm hoping to end up with. If that aircraft is still flying at the time I hope to make my transition. Although the larger one is still widely used it's manufacturer has gone out of business of building them. They still service them though. Anyway I'm starting out in a pretty generic Cessna. One of the more powerful aircraft of its type. Then one day moving to the BAE146-300QT.

I'm starting with the primary flight controls. You need those more then anything else and when they are done then you can fly your sim at the very least. It's important to have that ability. Without the 'light at the end of the tunnel' it's a very dark trip. The hardware store will be your friend so it's a good idea to have someone you know well that works there. If he/she knows what you're doing they can help you get what you need faster.

Those flight controls are the backbone of your sim so getting them right is important. Fortunately you have dozens of articles on how to build them from common hardware store stuff (primarily). You are trying to simulate the actions of the aircraft you have chosen so duplicating those as best as possible will go a long way to achieving that.

What aircraft are you most interested in? We can maybe get the planning on the way..

50fighterfan
12-07-2009, 12:01 AM
Kind of reminds me of that old joke...

"I got a simpit for my girlfriend - best trade I ever made!"

-George

blueskydriver
12-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Please feel free to PM me for help. I have all sorts of files, measurements, photos and links that will help you progress...

John

blueskydriver
01-05-2010, 08:43 PM
So, how is your sim build going? Hopefully, you're still with us and have made those minor suggested changes...it'd also be nice to see some photos of your progress...

John

Goldmember
01-06-2010, 06:05 PM
The key to this kind of problem is this. Buy it, wrap it up nicely and say: "Honey, look what I've got for you. A flight simulator!" On top of that, you don't need to ask if you can buy a sportscar for yourself because "hey, I bought you the sim, right?"