PDA

View Full Version : Panel Backlighting

ADW
12-13-2009, 02:41 PM
Just came across a real bargain that was ideal for panel backlighting. The wife picked up a 1.5 metre length of 'twinkling LED' christmas lights from the local Morrisons supermarket. This consists of 20 white LEDs that are battery illuminated using 2xAA batteries.

However, they don't flash but produce a nice steady white light ideal for backlighting the panels in my B737 simulator. So I re-deployed them to my workshop (when she was at work:roll:), soldered the necessary wires into the battery box and connected it to a 3V power supply (from an old ATX PSU). Worked a treat, and all for the bargain price of £2! thats 10p per white LED with a battery box and cable for free!

Needless to say a couple more packs were obtained before she returned:wink:.

Sean Nixon
12-13-2009, 02:58 PM
'twinkling LED'

However, they don't flash

Make your mind up! Do they flash/twinkle or not!?! ;)

I'll wait another week before I swoop, then they'll be in the post xmas sale for 50p a shot :roll:

Being serious, thanks for the post.

Sean

No Longer Active
12-13-2009, 03:03 PM
I got a nice set of 20 white £1 value tesco lights to add a glow to my glareshield...works a treat.....mains powered and very bright...you wont even see the lights anyway coz they conveniently hidden!

Ps....you can change the lamps to red lights for pennies using spare bulbs!

HarryTheHat
12-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Got some old blue LEDS from a local Garden Shop a few years ago Alex, waiting for the Boxing Day sales to see if any white ones show up :)

PascalHaldenstein
01-03-2010, 06:43 AM
Hi Andy

haha cool idea.. what about some pics if you've already installed your panels the way you described it. Would be interesting to see how this worked out??!!

cheers