PDA

View Full Version : UK Source of Paint for Panels

RadarBob
03-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Could anybody please advise me of the best type of paint to use for replica Boeing light plates, and where I can find it in the UK.

I will be needing some RAL7011 and also the lighter colour as used on the Bus Transfer/Air Con etc.

Many Thanks,

Rob

TasKiNG
03-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Hi Rob,

Have you tried Morley Motor Factors

They had a good paint mixing service last time I went ( prob 2 years ago )

250 Osmaston Road
Derby
Tel: 01332 331516
email: morleysofderby@hotmail.com

Worth a try

Cheers

RadarBob
03-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Dave.

I know Morleys, but the last time I asked in there which was a while back, they didn't recognise RAL colours.
I will try again - Maybe if I give them the RGB equivalent I will have more luck.
Was it a RAL colour you had from them?

Cheers,
Rob

TasKiNG
03-07-2010, 01:47 PM
No It wasn't RAL colours I had from them so you may need to find out what colour code system they use and find the conversion.
I have had a good look around the Net though as I will be wanting some paint for my Learjet soon and have found that JEWSON will mix paint for you and can accept RAL coding :) http://www.jewson.co.uk/en/static/services/paintMixing.jsp

Our nearest branch is 187 Derby (Alfreton Road), Derby, DE21 4RT

Also check out Ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cellulose-Car-Paint-RAL-7011-Iron-grey-1L_W0QQitemZ350233711851QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint?hash=item518b8e54eb

Cheers

RadarBob
03-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Thanks for that Dave.

I think Morleys only deal in automotive codes, but I will go over and have a word.

Thanks for the other links. Might also be worth looking at B&Q - I know they mix, but whether they can do RAL or not I don't know - I'm going over there this week, so I will ask the question.

The fact that it needs to be spray and matt makes it a bit tricky.

Cheers,
Rob

fordgt40
03-07-2010, 03:06 PM
Rob

Try Plasti-kote Projekt Paint Matt Super ref 3102 Grey. It is pretty close and can be bought from B & Q in aerosol form.

Regards

David

flymo001
03-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Rob,

I was in B&Q a couple of weeks back.....I enquired if they could mix a certain colour at their paint mixing department...they said yes, and on the off-chance also gave them the Boeing RAL colour code.

They can mix it, and can supply in Matt - Silk - and Gloss.:D:D

i know where I'll be going when I'm ready to put some colour onto my cockpit.....nearly there!!

Regards, John P.:p

RadarBob
03-07-2010, 06:49 PM
Many thanks for your input John and David.

Good to know that we can get the colour mixed at at least two stores.

I have actually been using the Plasti-Kote paints for my light-plate attempts up to now, and have had some success with it.

I used the white, black then grey layer approach used on the original panels and then mechanically engraved through to the white.

I thought that the result was pretty good when backlit and the engraver cuts the characters cleanly - Good enough for me anyway, but the 3102 is not quite the right colour - It find that it has a generally green/grey appearance rather than blue/grey.

That said, you don't really notice it until you put it alongside an original panel - Unfortunately, I am trying to use original panels/instruments when I can get them, so they do stand out.

I am aware however, that the original panels vary somewhat in colouration anyway, but as far as I can tell, the variation is generally in the blue content, and they don't generally have a greenish hue.

Is the difference really worth bothering about? - Well, it takes me a long time to make a panel this way, so I would like to get it right if I can.

If I can't find an alternative, then I will probably stick with the Plasti-Kote.

I notice that Wilkinsons also stock this paint, but sadly not the 3102, which is a shame because it would be cheaper still.

I haven't yet worked out what the off-white colour is on the three color plates or even how I would go about making them. I thought I would try making them as white, black, off-white and then masking and hand painting or spraying the dark grey areas behind the text. How successful this will be, remains to be seen.

The other issue I think is the surface hardness of the finish. I don't know what they use on the originals, but it is really hard. I found that the Plasti-Kote is a bit soft. I guess it is probably some system that is not suitable for amateur use.

Nice to meet up with someone local to the area Dave.

Thanks again guys,

Rob

TasKiNG
03-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Thats great, gives me some other places to try too :)

Nice to meet up with someone local to the area Dave.

Yea I was beginning to think I was the only builder around these parts. Actually live in Castle Donington but work in Derby ( RR )