PDA

View Full Version : Base building.

No Longer Active
03-21-2010, 03:24 PM
How did any of you A320 builders build your main stand as the main structure to your cockpit, did you take the measurements and use the PANELES drawing, although it appears simple to produce a stand from the 'paneles' drawing, is there a file that explains the construction better with drawings?

http://alexpilot.50g.com/frame.jpg

Kind Regards,

Alex

Matt Olieman
03-21-2010, 05:03 PM
That's a nice drawing and it seems pretty accurate as far as the angles and proportion.

Bottom line is, never trust online drawings, I learned that from rebuilding my cockpit 5 or 6 times.

If you start to build a cockpit, get your ready made panels first then make your frame work to fit the panels. What ever you do, don't build the frame work first and think the panels will fit. You'd be surprised how many drawings are out there and the measurements are not even close.

The above drawing is good, because it gives you a base line, but that's all.

No Longer Active
03-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Thanks Matt,

Well, to be honest from my experience of reading so many other builders problems, a common one is; panels don't fit exactly in the frame work because drawings are more or less just a guide, and manufacturers designs and sizes do vary.

Me and my friend have just printed of the MIP templates and are going to make our own panels from mdf, so we will indeed build around the panels and build the frame accordingly.

To me it appears that the key to cockpit building and especially the A320 cockpit; is to build from the basics outwards. Such as making your MIP panels, mounting the LCD's to the panels, then mounting them panels to a stand, then adding FCU+EFIS, then pedestal, overhead and so-on.

My friends spare room is tight so this one may be tricky, but we will build to the spec of the room.

Nice advice matt, much appreciated...I will learn from your experience lol!

Alex

spiro
03-22-2010, 02:15 PM
well i agree with you guys
i made my pedistal out of wood with only 1 comm panel so i belive the that will be ok for the rest of thgem
as they are equal in length now about the hight well i am not reallt shore but will find out soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!
as for the mip bace i am building it from the start:(:(
as i did not have the mip panels to juge my monitors right and got it all wrong but the good thing is
that for the second build i can make it better in diffrent ways so thats ok:)
regards

Buddym
03-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Seems like there are several of us in various stages of building the A320. I have built my ped once and trashed it to build again, this time with panels in hand.

Buddy