PDA

View Full Version : Difference between CPflight MCP737PRO and MCP737EL?

Nick1150
04-02-2010, 04:07 PM
Except the price I mean...

I fly 737 PMDG.

Thanks

Nick :D

dnoize
04-03-2010, 06:03 AM
Mostly detail issues and some different specs.

Both are full size
the EL replicates the Honeywell MCP (old style mcp)
The PRO replicates the Collins MCP (new style)
The PRO has some higher details and some more advanced specs:
The Pro has small black bezels around the displays and switches, the EL has not.
The PRO has a solenoid switch for the autothrottle disconnect, the EL has not.
The PRO has more realistic metal knobs, the EL has standard consumer grade rotary knobs
The PRO MCP has a dual concentric switch for the bank angle/heading function, EL not.
The PRO EFIS has a dual concentric rotary switch/encoder combination for ND/CTR and Range/TFC, the EL has a single encoder with push.

Overall, the PRO is somewhat more realistic in appearance and handling than the EL.

http://home.casema.nl/pago/mcppro_det_wb003.jpg
http://www.cpflight.com/sito/news/mcp737el7.jpg

Willow
07-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Very helpful. Thank you, WilloW

EnglishRebel
08-17-2011, 04:55 PM
I asked the same question of CPFlight a while back and this is what they wrote:
EL is an "entry-level" product where the PRO version is oriented to more exigent cockpit builder. The main differences of the PRO version are:

Front-panel: the EL use a symple plastic plate backlighted by LED's placed on the main printed circuit board. The PRO have a more complex faceplate that include a special light diffusion layer and an additional printed circuit board with SMD LED's integrated in the faceplate thickness; this result in a more homogeneous and brilliant backlight.
Pushbuttons: on the 737 there are two main MCP versions (if I correctly remember one is produced by Honeywell and the other by Collins). The two versions use different pushbuttons. One use dual dot green LED and the labels are on the frontplate (reproduced in the EL version) the other have labels directly on the pushbuttons and this involve an higher cost.
A/T ARM switch: the PRO version use electromagnetic disengage Auto Throttle ARM switch (automatically disengage at the tuchdown during autoland and so on). Due to the low cost concept of the EL, this is not used in this version.
Knobs: the PRO version use custom made knobs for the rotaries (where the EL version have standard knobs with different shape respect the real one)
Bank selector: the PRO version use dual concentric knob on the HDG to allows to directly select the bank angle limit. The function is also supported by the EL version, but there is not a dedicated knob (push and hold the HDG pusbutton for more than 2 seconds to enter the Bank angle setting mode throug the HDG knob)
white display on the PRO version where the EL use amber display (this is related to the equivalent real version)

Alan

Willow
08-17-2011, 07:12 PM
I went with the PRO version, WilloW

Willow
08-17-2011, 07:14 PM
Thanks for your help. I went with the PRO version, WilloW :mrgreen:

Willow
08-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Thanks for your help. I went with the PRO version, WilloW

EnglishRebel
08-20-2011, 03:45 PM
I went with the PRO version, WilloW

Worth the extra cost obviously (500 Euros or $720).
I would love one but it's cost prohibitive (and I'm building a Learjet Mustang).

Alan

Willow
08-20-2011, 07:00 PM
Worth the extra cost obviously (500 Euros or $720).
I would love one but it's cost prohibitive (and I'm building a Learjet Mustang).

Alan

Hi Alan;

Yes they are expensive. I closed by eyes and gave my AMEX numbers. I'm building a 737 simulation so I think the higher quality PRO version is probably the way to go. I did own their EL version for quite a few years (the original version with red lettering) and was always impressed with the product. Good luck, WilloW

Aaron
08-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Hi!

Of course its expensive, but its one of the more important components in the cockpit. I buy the MCP five month ago, and the choice was the pro version!.

Bernie
12-09-2011, 10:53 PM
Hi,

Could someone please explain to me how this works: The function is also supported by the EL version, but there is not a dedicated knob (push and hold the HDG pusbutton for more than 2 seconds to enter the Bank angle setting mode through the HDG knob)
I would be interested to know whether this could be duplicated in a home made mcp.

Kind Regards

Bernie.

Bernie
12-10-2011, 11:58 PM
Hi,

Could someone please explain to me how this works: The function is also supported by the EL version, but there is not a dedicated knob (push and hold the HDG pusbutton for more than 2 seconds to enter the Bank angle setting mode through the HDG knob)
I would be interested to know whether this could be duplicated in a home made mcp.

Kind Regards

Bernie.

Hi All,

I don't normally bump my own posts but I find it very interesting that a rotary encoder can have two functions as it appears it has in the Opencockpits EL version of the MCP. Is this done through SIOC by manipulating the reading of the Encoder as it is spinning in the new mode that has just been triggered by holding the button for 2 seconds or is it something totally different. This to me seems quite a breakthrough for the use of an encoder if it is. Does nayone here have any knowledge of what is going on in the process?

Kind Regards

Bernie.

dnoize
12-11-2011, 02:05 PM
it wasnt the opencockpits MCP that was discussed here but the CPflight MCP PRO vs EL.

Anyway, the cpflight EL has a rotarly encoder with a push switch in it. Rotary encoders with a push function are quite common (apart from rotating the shaft, you can also push it.).
The cpflight firmware senses the push and witches to bank angle (instead of heading).

I dont know if the opencockpits mcp is shipped with a rotary with a pushfunction, but softwarewise this is certainly possible in sioc.

Stef

Bernie
12-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Hi Stef,

Yes I did make a mistake with the brand, I am sorry for that. Yes I am aware of the push button and have ordered some for my MCP build. Are you saying that with SIOC, and the triggering of the Pushbutton, the encoder, when turned, then acts as a rotary switch. If this is so, then why do people put a rotary switch and encoder together to produce the same effect, or is it just the pushing of the button that increments the bank angle. If the latter is the case, then why would you have to hold it for 2 seconds to enter the bank angle mode. Think of the possibilites for a duel rotary encoder.

Kind Regards

Bernie.