PDA

View Full Version : New CNC Machine

mondo50m
04-13-2010, 03:51 PM
I just finished building my new CNC machine. Same cut area as my old one, but much more robust. There are a couple of quick pictures in the photo gallery under CNC. I have completed the first CJ1 panel using the new CNC. It has the ability to be backlit. Also did some work in CUT2D to get my lettering into a single line font. Not easy to do this way. But it is looking very good. If I could remember (comes with age) how to upload a picture, I would. Maybe I did do it.

Milt

mondo50m
04-13-2010, 03:53 PM
OK, I guess it has been awhile since i uploaded any pictures. It sure is easier now.....The pictures were taken after attaching a blank piece of white paper behind the panel to diffuse the light.

Milt

AK Mongo
04-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Beautiful work Sir!

Perik
04-13-2010, 06:08 PM
Nice work, Milt - both the panel and the new CNC.

mondo50m
04-13-2010, 06:35 PM
Thank you. The old machine was a good one, but it was time to get something sturdier. I am hoping it will be able to handle a trim router instead of a dremel type tool......give it a couple of months and I will find out.

Perik
04-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Milt,

This is usually the case when scratch-building CNC and it’s also a part of the learning curve.
There are always some issues with the rig, but you learn to live with them -
milling slower, shallower etc. and you can replace those weak parts along the way.

I've been quite lucky with my own rig - only replaced the Z-axis and the spindle so far.

The clue is to match the machine to the work you need to accomplish.
So the day I need to do some aluminum operations, I may have to swap a few parts.
As Wendy also mention - you'll never regret to go up the ladder and pick a decent spindle.
It's so much more stability in speed and less vibrations running for instance the Kress engines.

Happy milling,

mondo50m
04-13-2010, 08:13 PM
I agree Perik. I am already thinking about changing the main rods from 5/8" to 3/4" and the y axis rods from 1/2" to 5/8" and using 3/8" threads, but as I said, later.

Milt