PDA

View Full Version : New Pilot Seat

trolleydriver
08-28-2010, 04:05 PM
What do yiu think? Would this make a good pilot seat for my generic cockpit?

It's brand new and is out of a Chevy Uplander.

:idea:

trolleydriver
09-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Wow! So far 81 views and not one reply/comment. I expect some (many?) of you have used car/van seats in your cockpits so can you provide any advice? Thanks.

nax228
09-02-2010, 04:06 AM
hehe... been to busy watching my own seats there Trolly.
This looks really comfy and I guess you will enjoy many hours sitting there.
Not many that get a brand new Chevyseat to play around with. Good luck with the installation. Post pics!!

trolleydriver
09-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Got the seat home this evening. Here it is in temporary position in front of my desktop flight sim. The seat is way too low in this temporary setup. It's a nice grey color, it slides front to back, the back tilts and the arm rests can be moved out of the way. I will have to build a proper sturdy platform for the seat to be bolted down to. I will also need to plan for a new platform for the monitor and controls so that they are all at the correct height.

gokhotit
09-02-2010, 10:28 PM
Im jealous..now you can really say (and mean) "keep your seatbacks and tray tables in there upright and locked position." Looks good.

jskibo
09-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Is that a tray table? Wow!

trolleydriver
09-02-2010, 10:50 PM
It's not a tray table but it looks like one when it's closed. It's actually just a storage compartment.

jskibo
09-02-2010, 11:10 PM
Gotcha. I was picturing friends enjoying a snack and a drink while they watched you shoot the ILS :)

nax228
09-03-2010, 02:06 AM
Gotcha. I was picturing friends enjoying a snack and a drink while they watched you shoot the ILS :)

hehe.. i can clearly see that to :D

trolleydriver
09-03-2010, 08:41 AM

That was good!!! Maybe I should get a few more of these seats and create Commuter Sim.

:idea:

737NUT
09-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Make a simple box out of 2x12's and it will be the perfect height. I did that with the Tahoe seats i had and it was stable and easy to make.

trolleydriver
09-07-2010, 12:51 PM
When I look at this seat it seems to have too much slope from front to back. In it's current configuration (just sitting on the floor) there is a difference of 5 to 6 inches in the height of the seat cushion from front to back. I think that will kill my back.

I could jack up the back end to make the seat cushion have much less slope. Another option is to remove the bottom section that is used to hold the seat to the floor of the van and which has the sliders that mesh with the slider rails on the seat. By itself the "legs" on that lower section are much higher in the front than in the back. It looks like I can remove the bottom slider rails (not the ones on the seat proper) from this section. I could then bolt the rails to a flat area on top of the wooden box. That way the slope would be dictated by the seat cushion itself.

Anyone know how much slope there should be on a pilot seat?