PDA

View Full Version : Newbie... PM in a 5 screens single PC setup ?

Nick1150
11-27-2010, 08:35 PM
Hi fellow builders,

Is it possible to run all PM gauges in a 5 screens single PC setup ?

Just to make it more clear, let's say that 4 screens are behind the MIP and CDU bay, that is captain, F/O, EICAS and lower EICS, and the 5th is the external visuals with a TH2GO.

I downloaded the demo and I cannot find a window (F1 to F10) that has all gauges together. Is there such a window really ?

Is this kind of setup doable or I am losing my time ?

Thanks

Nick

KEEPERCDN
11-27-2010, 11:34 PM
I am just wondering the samething as I am doing the same and I just got for the gages such as the Garmin 1000 or 500 and is the a software that make sure that it is place in the screen that you want it to go to?

also I was wondering about custom gage display and can it be programed per aircraft?

autocadplease
11-28-2010, 02:08 AM
It is only possible to display either a captain or F/O setup on one computer. If you display things like the PFD or ND twice at once, you require an additional licence and another computer (you can't run two instances of PM PFD at the same time on one computer).
Remember, PM does not need high end computers to run it. I have a Pentium III running my PM CDU and cheap computers running my PDF and ND.
Even if this was possible on one computer, I suspect the frame rate on FS and PM will be so slow it won't be usable.

autocadplease
11-28-2010, 02:18 AM
I am just wondering the samething as I am doing the same and I just got for the gages such as the Garmin 1000 or 500 and is the a software that make sure that it is place in the screen that you want it to go to?
PM allows you to move and size each gauge on its own. It also remembers the last position and size.

also I was wondering about custom gage display and can it be programed per aircraft?
You can place the gauges where ever you want in PM but I don't think you can link them to a particular aircraft - other than when you change the aircraft type in the CDU the displays will change to suit certain aircraft (ie 737, 767, 777, 747).

Nick1150
11-28-2010, 05:41 AM
So you mean it is not doable even with an i7 950, 12 GBs RAM PC and 5 DVI outputs graphic cards ?

RGroebl
11-28-2010, 08:51 AM
Itīs possible to run more than 1 instance of pfd on a single computer. You have to install the Glascockpit in different folders.

But all inclusive Flightsim on one Computer, I think itīs not a good idea.

Roland

Nick1150
11-28-2010, 01:24 PM
Hi Roland,

So I can do this in the following way:

Hi Gianluca,

thatīs the way I made my set up for Upper and Lower EICAS.

1.) Install GC software the normal way

2.) Rename the Folder (I think itīs named PFD) to for instance " Upper_Eicas"

3.) Create a new Folder "Lower_Eicas"

4.) Coppy the entire content of the "Upper_Eicas" folder into "Lower_Eicas" folder

5.) Now rename the Pfd.exe in the folder "Lower_Eicas" to: lower_eicas.exe

6.)Rename the pfd.exe of the "Upper_Eicas" folder to: upper-eicas.exe

7.) You can now start Upper and lower eicas as seperate instances.

Just note that in case of updating the GC software to not forget to reneame the new pfd.exe (only) to the corresponding name of the GC as above.

Hope I could shed some light onto your problem.

Best rgds

Peter

Just a quick one... in the demo version there is no pfd.exe file (just pfd.dll) so I cannot try it out.

I suppose that only the registered version has the pfd.exe right ?

and also forgive me for not been aware of this, and with the risk of my question to be named as a stupid one, but I do not understand why a Pentium III PC is enough for one instance of GC, and a 2000 euro i7 PC is not enough to run for instance 3 instances of GC at the same time, causing FS frame drop ?

RGroebl
11-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Hi Nick,

the GCDEMO.exe is the file by the demoversion.

On my start with PM I used a quadcore 2.4Ghz and 4GB RAM with the following programms:

2x Glascockpit, PMSystems, SaWXR (Weather radar), Client for my overhead, CDU and MCP. The "problem" was not the CPU Power,
the Glascockpit was not smooth sometimes so I switched my setup.

I think you shall try it. I canīt say it if it works. For me I allocated the programs to different computers, thatīs the best for me.
Is it correct that you want to install the flightsimulator on the same computer as the 3 GCīs? FS2004 or FSX?

Nick1150
11-28-2010, 03:35 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your answer :)

To be honest I have 2 spare Sony Vaio (VGN-C1S) in my drawer. Used to be my wife's and mine personal laptops before we upgrade. Both of them have VGA outputs, so the FS PC (Win7) can run easily FS9 or FSX (I currently run FS9, but I am thinking to upgrade to FSX soon), the upper EICAS and the extrernal visuals with a TH2GO, and leave the two vaios (Win XP pro) for just the captain and f/o screens each. That could do the job right ?

BUT The way I have build my cockpit base and all my project leaves me no space to add extra PCs without modifying my cockpit... so I am thinking of ways to avoid extra PCs...

Any advise would be higly appreciated...

Bernie
11-28-2010, 10:43 PM
Hi fellow builders,

Is it possible to run all PM gauges in a 5 screens single PC setup ?

Just to make it more clear, let's say that 4 screens are behind the MIP and CDU bay, that is captain, F/O, EICAS and lower EICS, and the 5th is the external visuals with a TH2GO.

I downloaded the demo and I cannot find a window (F1 to F10) that has all gauges together. Is there such a window really ?

Is this kind of setup doable or I am losing my time ?

Thanks

Nick

Hi Nick,
I have just realised this is a Project Magenta User Group so sorry if this is not appropriate.

Have you considered FSXPand, as this allows you to do just what you are after. By duplicating the Shared Client folders and issueing another IP Address, you can have a second set of displays for FO. I am using this software and find no limit to the number of gauge sets you can create.

Kind Regards

Bernie.

Nick1150
11-29-2010, 02:40 AM
Thanks Bernie for your answer :)

Yes I have thought of FSxpand, but I am in the point of my building process that I have realised that if one wants to get serious, he or she must have an appropriate software...

So I am researching right now about PM possibilities...

PeterH
11-29-2010, 09:54 AM
So you mean it is not doable even with an i7 950, 12 GBs RAM PC and 5 DVI outputs graphic cards ?

Hi Nick,
in my humble opinion itīs mainly not the CPU power which is the bottle neck with PM software (low frame rate), but the need to get full openGl acceleration for each monitor output. PM gauges are mainly depending on openGl. Thatīs why you need different PCs as there is at least one output of the graphics adapter openGl accelerated. You can easily check in demo mode which frame rate you get with full openGl acceleration and what you get without or emulated acceleration only.

Best rgds

Peter

Nick1150
11-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Hi again,

During the last days I have lost my sleep... I have tried few glass cockpit software demo suites, but all at the end return to PM... easy setup, everything included, and the most important in personal opinion is that this thing is already finished, not under development...

Of course I understand that a single PC setup is out of the question, and that's why my server is already connected with two old sony vaio laptops, one for the cpt and the other for the f/o side. EICAS, MCP and CDU will be run from the server. The demo seems to run without any issues, but I need more time for tests.

I am nearly decided, I think :)

Sean Nixon
11-30-2010, 05:11 PM
and the most important in personal opinion is that this thing is already finished, not under development...

That's not correct Nick, be careful.

KEEPERCDN
11-30-2010, 09:33 PM
How many computer are people using here, I was just going to run one very good one with 4 LCD 1 for glass 3 for the views is not the way to do it? also I am mostly fly helicopters, jets and reg plans.

Nick1150
12-01-2010, 03:39 AM
That's not correct Nick, be careful. Are you talking about the bugs ?

Sean Nixon
12-01-2010, 11:43 AM
The bugs are a seperate issue! There are a few features not yet modelled, it's far from complete.

autocadplease
12-01-2010, 01:54 PM
How many computer are people using here

I have four computer is all.:
One runs FSX (TH2Go), PM MCP, Active Sky and VoxATC (higher end computer)
One runs PDF & ND (cheap Duo 2 core)
One runs EICAS and PM Weather (cheap Duo 2 core)
One runs CDU and EFB (old Pentium III)

autocadplease
12-01-2010, 01:56 PM
The bugs are a seperate issue! There are a few features not yet modelled, it's far from complete.

One thing to point out is currently all future updates are free with PM. Other software suites usually have ongoing yearly maintenance update fees.
The bugs can be frustrating some times.

JWS
12-01-2010, 02:32 PM
One thing to point out is currently all future updates are free with PM.

Absolutely. So are the returning bugs that should have been dealt with in earlier versions and keep coming back. And of course the features that have been in development for the last 10 years.
Sorry, I seldom loose my temper.

JWS

a340-th
12-02-2010, 12:53 AM
Absolutely. And of course the features that have been in development for the last 10 years.

JWS

Amen ! If I were not flying a 4-holer I would have changed camp long time ago...

My PM setup:
Pentium 4: (2 LCD screens) running captain and FO PFD and ND, 2 licenses
Pentium 4: 1 screen running EICAS
Pentium 4: 1 screen running MCDU, FCU, Simboards, SA_WXR and PMSounds
PMSystems bought but not running yet
All computers still running WIN2000 (perfectly)

ian@737ng.co.uk
12-02-2010, 01:53 AM
Absolutely. So are the returning bugs that should have been dealt with in earlier versions and keep coming back. And of course the features that have been in development for the last 10 years.
Sorry, I seldom loose my temper.

JWS

there is no such thing as 'bug free' and complete software :o sadly, it's a cross we all have to bear,
but in cockpit building, frustration goes with the job. just keep a smile on your face and keep going :o
have a great day chaps.....

ian