PDA

View Full Version : South African flight enthusiast

Will J.
03-17-2011, 07:30 AM
Hi there to all!
My name is William J. Patterton and I live in a town/city called East London, South Africa. I have had a love for flying since a young age -
unfortunately I could not pursue my yearnings of becoming a fighter pilot and have instead settled for doing it from the comfort of my own home.
I did have the pleasure however of building a 2 seater Skyranger (Jabiru motor) with my brother in law about 4 years back - it came out quite nicely!:D
I am an avid gamer, but my flight simming still takes priority - I have: FS - century of flight, FSX: Gold, Xplane9, IL2, FS Combat Sim 2 & 3, Lomac (still need to download FC 2), Commanche, Blazing Angels, had HAWX 1, looking at 2 - I even still have Crimson Skies - one of my all time favourites!:D
I had one of my friends, who builds computers build me a nice setup and proceeded to purchase Saitek X52 pro HOTAS and rudeer pedals. I use Trackir 5Pro and have recently purchased a 27" Samsung LCD monitor. I have built an Akers - Barnes mark 1, but am looking at either re-doing it and making it bigger and more user friendly; or build something better, but still cost effective (we just had our second daughter in December, so cash is thinly spread nowdays!) - also saving up for an 18" touchscreen monitor to incorporate the Touchbuddy software. My biggest concern now is my simpit however - I need to get it into shape - I would this really appreciate some suggestions - My main material used would be 18mm MFD/Plywood.
I have also looked at using PVC piping. My main problem is that my space is also limited. I have even looked at simpit seats like the Obutto etc. , but would rather build my own one and save money.
Any suggestions

capetonian
03-17-2011, 10:57 AM
Howzit Boet and welcome to MyCockpit.org. Although I am on the other side of the world at the moment it is always lekker to see another Saffer on these boards!

What are you planning on building? A single seat generic fighter style cockpit?