PDA

View Full Version : power supplies and computers needed to run a cockpit

HAVOC
07-25-2011, 08:14 AM
When assembling a flight sim cockpit, how many computers are needed?

Does one computer run FSX and the other computers control the gauges/displays in the instrument panel?

Just trying to get my head around the complete build of a cockpit, and what is needed to connect all the components together.

bindook
07-30-2011, 09:40 AM
All depends on the type of a/c & program you want to use. I'm doing a A320 using FS9 on 1 pc & project magenta to run the displays on 3 pc's. For the backlighting & LEds i have 2 x pc power supplies.

Aaron
07-30-2011, 03:20 PM
Hi!

There is no exact number, too many variables.

For example, you can run almost full PM Suite in one computer with 2 VGA cards (4 outs), but you cannot run CDU and RCDU in the same. After buy all pc's, we buy a set of analogic gauges which only works with winxp (I have all pc's with Windows 7, so another computer is needed, etc.

For the FS, also depends of your configuration and aims. Its not the same to fly with just 1 projector or LCD than make it with 3 projectors!. In any case, you only need to get a powerfull computer for your(s) visuals pc(s) (the one which displays your scenery, etc.)

verticallimit
08-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Hi
You can see my setup here:
http://www.md80project.dk/portal/forum_topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=308&FORUM_ID=6&CAT_ID=1&Topic_Title=The+setup&Forum_Title=MD-80+%28Homebuild%29+Hardware

I have not found the right setup for the gauges/main-panels yet.

novalyfe
08-12-2011, 04:05 AM
Ah! Just was wondering the same! Great so see so much information!

hootsmangreen
09-06-2011, 05:14 PM
After putting a 2nd Graphics Card into the PC I now will be attempting to run everything on one pc (more than one PSU though).. at the moment It is going great PMDG 737NGX on 3 monitors (triplehead2go) then one monitor for CAPT PFD/ND and one monitor for UPPER DU/ FO ND and a third monitor (ELO 19" Touch Screen) For the CDU and LOWER DU... 4 Flight Illusion Gauges (Stand by and Capt Clock) 2 Simkits Gauges, Goflight MCP and EFIS and three other goflight gauges NAV ADF and flaps/gear/trim.. OpenCockpits XPNDR... That's the hardware... The Software running on one PC is...
FSX, Fight Illusion, Simkits, OpenCockpits, REX2, ASX, AiVasoft Electronic Flight Bag, IVAP... My Sliders Are All or 98% of them at max. My Eye Candy is amazing the FPS at Altitude is on Unlimited and Jumps between 20 - 40 at UK extreme Airports it will go down to 14 but I can live with that..
I do have Electronic Flight Bag on a second PC and Skype, IVAO but with still having two HD out's Left on the graphics cards I,m sure I could run EFB on the main PC...... but I prefer to have the teamspeak, IVAO, skype on the second PC..I'm living the dream, not so many years ago I can remember having six PC's with wideview and PM RJ PFD's

Infinity
11-10-2011, 02:49 AM
Mr. Hoot,

I'm curious as to what hardware you PC carries.

hootsmangreen
11-10-2011, 06:19 AM
intel 5i core, asus motherboard win7 64bit 8GB ram asus GTX540 asus GTX 560

hope this is what you meant if not let me know

Infinity
11-10-2011, 04:01 PM
yep, that's what I meant. One other question for you given your setup, is two graphic cards all I need to run the outside view (triplehead2go), CA, FO, and Eicas screens (just as you have) and still have extra room for another screen to be used as a setup screen or poor man's instructor station? I'll probably be running FSX, FSUIPC, and OPENCOCKPITS at the minimum and preferrably WinXP (or Win7). I didn't know if adding a second triplehead2go on the second graphics card would accomplish this too or be a waste.

- Most importantly, I want the FO instruments seperate, meaning not a clone of the CA's side. Thanks!

hootsmangreen
11-10-2011, 04:11 PM
if you use pmdg 737ngx then it will not be a clone it will be FO. two triple heads would do but it was cheaper to buy the asus GTX560

Infinity
11-10-2011, 05:19 PM
so using 1 triplehead2go and two graphic cards, I will get three outside views, 3 cockpit screens, and still have room for an extra monitor to be used as a setup, control screen (similiar to a laptop station)?

hootsmangreen
11-11-2011, 03:40 AM
No you can't have a seventh 2 cards 4 outs 1 for triplehead2go (3 monitors) leaves 3 outs.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=241411235916915&set=a.104007766323930.3109.100001441214749&type=3&theater

if you can see on my picture I will not be putting in a real gear lever which enables me to have a monitor covering the centre and one of the FO. As my sim is a 3/4 I don't need the last FO screen. 2 triplehead2go and 2 graphic cards would give 8 monitors which is what you would need for a full size twin seat sim. although there is an ATI card that has 6 outs.

Infinity
11-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Ah, thanks. So tripledhead2go has the ability to display separate cockpit screens too, not just scenery? Just making sure. Appreciate your help.

Infinity
11-15-2011, 04:29 PM
Mr. Hoot, one last question and I apologize for sounding lost in the head, but are you using the latest PMDG737ngx software. I ask only because I can't find where it speaks about the setup we are talking about.

hootsmangreen
11-15-2011, 05:56 PM
I'm not sure what you mean? "I can't find where it speaks about the setup we are talking about."

Infinity
11-15-2011, 09:26 PM
Sorry, what I meant by that was just having the pfd, mfd, and eicas (efis) screens up such as in your cockpit. Not the virtual cockpit views. I don't see where this subject is addressed on the pmdg website so I didn't know if you were using an older version or something.

hootsmangreen
11-16-2011, 05:19 AM
I don't think it is in the manual but it is very easy.
1 all the screens are in the pull down menu "new instrument view", open all the ones you want, right mouse button and undock
2. resize and move to fit your mip, save this as a flight and or save panel state on the pmdg FMC.. run all your other software ie flight illusion, IVAO, Active Sky etc. when fully ready I do a "ALT + ENTER" to go fullscreen mode and hey presto all the ND PFD etc. are looking cool... hope this helps

Colin

Infinity
11-16-2011, 04:24 PM
Yep, that's what I needed to know. I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Burgafilms
11-27-2013, 03:21 AM
Thank you for postint that. Huge HELP!!!!