dave

Mike.Powell
09-08-2011, 06:25 PM
hi
has anybody heard of an exercise stepper being made into rudder
pedals if so could you please provde a link with pictures or plans
many thanks
dave

Several years ago Roger Wielgus posted about doing just that. I don't remember where he posted. Given that it was so long ago, it was probably on AVSIM. I don't think there were any construction details. As I recall he said he used a set of compact stair steppers and that the hydraulic damping produced a realistic control loading effect.

If you're considering using a set for pedals, I'd say you're on the right path.

davemuir
09-09-2011, 06:27 AM
Several years ago Roger Wielgus posted about doing just that. I don't remember where he posted. Given that it was so long ago, it was probably on AVSIM. I don't think there were any construction details. As I recall he said he used a set of compact stair steppers and that the hydraulic damping produced a realistic control loading effect.

If you're considering using a set for pedals, I'd say you're on the right path.
Hi Mike
many thanks for your info

Ronson2k9
09-09-2011, 12:48 PM
It really depends on the age of the aircraft you are trying to simulate as most modern and by that I mean anything built from 1985 onward are control by wire. That is there is no movable linkage between the cockpit and the tail/wings they are controlled via servo. If it's older then there would be force required to move the surface. That said I would suggest you check out Flightsim.com HOWTO Section (http://flightsim.com/main/m-howto.htm) for ways to build a set of rudder peddles there are I think at least 4 different articles on that subject alone.

davemuir
09-10-2011, 04:28 AM
It really depends on the age of the aircraft you are trying to simulate as most modern and by that I mean anything built from 1985 onward are control by wire. That is there is no movable linkage between the cockpit and the tail/wings they are controlled via servo. If it's older then there would be force required to move the surface. That said I would suggest you check out Flightsim.com HOWTO Section (http://flightsim.com/main/m-howto.htm) for ways to build a set of rudder peddles there are I think at least 4 different articles on that subject alone.

Hi many thanks for your info -i have been working on aircraft for the last 30 years and i am now a licensed aircraft engineer b1 and b2
i have just recently built a 737 throttle quadrant and have decided to carry on and build the full simulator but dont have a lot of experience in this department -i have bought a second hand stepper
for 8 pounds and iam waiting on 2 cogs to arrive to connect to a pot
entiometer the force on the pedals are really good without paying out a large amount of money
thanks again
cheers dave

deering
09-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Hello Dave.

Those exercise steppers have a damper on each pedal. Normally, they would not return automatically to a centre position. Do you have method in mind to achieve that?

Jim.

davemuir
09-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Hello Dave.

Those exercise steppers have a damper on each pedal. Normally, they would not return automatically to a centre position. Do you have method in mind to achieve that?

Jim.
Hi Jim
Thanks for your reply-
i wont be self centering at the moment .When you push one pedal away the other one comes towards you its then just a matter of
connecting a pot to the center pulley already on the stepper then connect to fs via my leo bodnar card-job done.
cheers dave

davemuir
09-28-2011, 01:05 PM
hi jim i now have the issue of self centering covered with the pedals
you use 2 pieces of bungy cord under each padal -0when you push one pedal and release it it self centers easy

Hi Jim
Thanks for your reply-
i wont be self centering at the moment .When you push one pedal away the other one comes towards you its then just a matter of
connecting a pot to the center pulley already on the stepper then connect to fs via my leo bodnar card-job done.
cheers dave

deering
09-29-2011, 08:32 PM
Dave, self-centreing is very desirable for rudder pedals. It's good that you found a method.

Thanks for the update.

Jim

sharky376
01-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Hi guys,

this is prototype of my idea for rudder pedals - general aviation - not particulary for specific aircraft type. Toe brakes and self centering will be included. Costs until now - way bellow 100,- € ... one old stepper, a little bit of h/w from local store, one old joystick ...