PDA

View Full Version : INSTRUMENT MONITOR ORIENTATION??

manhattan
02-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Hi Folks.

Does anyone know if it's possible to configure instrument gauges etc so that they can be read with the monitor on it's side? I hope to place a monitor virtically so I can put GPS at the top, and eng gauges at the bottom. Reason for up-ending is space available!

Here's hoping!

TONY, Plymouth UK

jonesthesoftware
02-07-2012, 02:28 PM
Hi Tony
depends on what software you are using. If you are using FSX then no problems you can use FSpanel studio to arrange your guages to any size, shape position orientation
regards
geoff

Goldmember
02-07-2012, 03:51 PM
You can also set your graphics adapter to display portrait mode. Beware: not all monitors have the same vertical viewing angle compared to the horizontal.

Bernie
02-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Hi Tony,

I have used a little freeware called IRotate.
If you google this you will find a few outlets. This works perfectly and will do what you are trying to do.

Kind Regards

Bernie.

manhattan
02-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Hi Tony,

I have used a little freeware called IRotate.
If you google this you will find a few outlets. This works perfectly and will do what you are trying to do.

Kind Regards

Bernie.

Hi Bernie.

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know if this software will work with just one monitor? I use six including outside view and I would not want them ALL altered!

Thanks.

TONY.

Bernie
02-08-2012, 06:04 PM
Hi Tony,

As far as I can recall it only affects the computer it is installed on. I think from memory (without installing it again) that if there are more than one monitor connected, you are able to assign which monitor you want changed. Give it a go it is freeware and see. I can install again if necessary.

Kind Regards

Bernie.

manhattan
02-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Hi Tony
depends on what software you are using. If you are using FSX then no problems you can use FSpanel studio to arrange your guages to any size, shape position orientation
regards
geoff

Hello and thanks for your comments.

I have an old version of FS Panel Studio, and cannot see how to turn the gauges? I can write the gauges OK, but turning them on their sides so that they are upright when I turn the monitor seems impossible! Can you tell me how to do this? I want to end up with a portrait version ready to be dragged and dropped onto the turned monitor. Ideally, it would be great if I could write the panel and turn the whole thing afterwards and save???

Hope you can help.

Regards,

TONY, Plymouth UK

Goldmember
02-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Maybe I am missing something but why don't you simply rotate your monitor settings from within Windows or the driver of your graphics adapter? Example in Windows 7:

Simply right click on your desktop and go into screen resolution. Vista and XP have similar settings. If not, click your graphics adapter driver in the system tray near the clock and almost every brand has a setting to rotate the screen. Hope this helps.

manhattan
02-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Maybe I am missing something but why don't you simply rotate your monitor settings from within Windows or the driver of your graphics adapter? Example in Windows 7:

Simply right click on your desktop and go into screen resolution. Vista and XP have similar settings. If not, click your graphics adapter driver in the system tray near the clock and almost every brand has a setting to rotate the screen. Hope this helps.

Hi
Thanks for your interest. I am none too bright, but I have been to screen resolution but do not know what I am supposed to do to alter orientation at this point? The graphics cards driving my instrument screens are VERY low mb, and the sort you can pick up for a couple of pounds on ebay! They cant be tinkered with. This is why I would like to make panels in FS Studio so that I can drag them to whichever monitor - but I don't know how to re-orientate the gauge build in the first place!

I am contacting FS Panel Studio to see if I can build the gauges tilted 90 degrees so that they will right themselves on the tilted monitor.

Thankyou very much.

Regards,

TONY, Plymouth UK

Goldmember
02-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Ok that might be the problem. What is your OS, is it Windows XP, Vista or 7? And what is the make of that adapter? Maybe I can have a look.

manhattan
02-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Ok that might be the problem. What is your OS, is it Windows XP, Vista or 7? And what is the make of that adapter? Maybe I can have a look.

Running on XP. Adapter is Matrox (very old).
Don't worry too much on my account - I will eventually find a solution.

regards,

TONY.

Goldmember
02-10-2012, 12:22 PM
No problem, I sold hundreds of them in de nineties (not installed though) :-D

In XP there's no standard way to rotate the monitor like in Windows 7. So this has to be done by the driver of the adapter. Even the older Matrox cards, which might be very cheap second hand, had advanced possibilities. It depends on the model. I think they have 'powerdesk' to change the settings

I think if you go to multiple monitor setup, and go to properties, you can adjust the orientation

Or perhaps some other option. Anyway, if you can find Powerdesk on your system it's likely you could adjust the orientation. But it could also indeed be a very basic adapter where it's impossible.

manhattan
02-10-2012, 12:27 PM
No problem, I sold hundreds of them in de nineties (not installed though) :-D

In XP there's no standard way to rotate the monitor like in Windows 7. So this has to be done by the driver of the adapter. Even the older Matrox cards, which might be very cheap second hand, had advanced possibilities. It depends on the model. I think they have 'powerdesk' to change the settings

I think if you go to multiple monitor setup, and go to properties, you can adjust the orientation

Or perhaps some other option. Anyway, if you can find Powerdesk on your system it's likely you could adjust the orientation. But it could also indeed be a very basic adapter where it's impossible.

Thanks again. I have 'powerdesk' but only for Matrox Parhelia for my outside views! It's not interested in the crappy little cards underneath! I will solve this, and let you know how.

TONY