PDA

View Full Version : Need help wiring 737 MIP

brnhwd
03-26-2012, 08:38 PM
Any ideas please
I am in the process of wiring my MIP, I have a Opencockpits MCP and have been trying to get it to talk to Aerosoft 737 Software :( What a battle. I was going to use OC mastercards for MIP, Radios, ADF, Nav etc, but after trying to write Script files for MCP have given up. I am close to burning Opencockpits MCP!! ( So much for plug and play what a joke)
So now I am trying to get peoples Ideas. I was looking at PoKeys and 737MIP board but found that a bit expensive.

Please help Brendan

Bernie
03-26-2012, 11:29 PM
Hi Brendan,

You may not want to change at this stage but have a look at Prosim737. Hardware connection will not be an issue. Yes it will cost more that you have paid but you will certainly get your moneys worth. (My opinion). Here is a link to the Forums. http://prosim737.com/forum/index.php They have a "Supported Hardware thread also. Pokeys Cards are auto configured in Prosim737.

Kind Regards

Bernie.

notgotaclue
03-27-2012, 05:30 AM
:???:
Any ideas please
I am close to burning Opencockpits MCP!! ( So much for plug and play what a joke)

Please help Brendan

Hi,
I totally agree, I bought this because it was plug and play, as computers dont seem to like me so it must be simple - scripts and sioc are for the nerdy type :-)
Mine ended up on the fire as well ( ok i sold it whenI got my CpFlight MCP - much better).
When it was working it was fine, but it took me days to get it going and when I did get it working it was more luck and trying anything and everything rather than any concious effort on my part.
So I cant help you, but I feel your pain.
In the words of Jim Royle, plug and play my arse.
Allan.

claushansen
03-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Hi Brendan,

Sorry to hear about your problems. Which 737 are you trying to connect to ?

I have built my SimPit based only on OC products with iFly 737 without any problems at all. It's very stable
and works every time. Sure it takes time to make the SIOC script, but when it's done it just works !

Regards
Claus
www.737sim.dk

brnhwd
03-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Thanks guys for your information, I did look at Prosim737 looks very nice but would cost $1000 aus for the whole package. (Trying to stick to a budget)
Claus I are trying to connect to Aerosystems 737 Avionics software with no luck. I am using FSX defalt 737 model, I can connect direct to this model with the scrips provided for OC, but this is no good as need my MCP to control Aerosystems MCP, not FSX's MCP

Thanks for your so far:D
Brendan

Bernie
03-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Hi Brenda,

I am from Australia and have purchased the whole Prosim737 suite including the Jetstream Flight Model and it has cost A$420.03 not $1000.00.
The Suite contains all the modules that you see on their shop page not the suite plus the other modules. So it is 300.00 euro and is you want the Flight Model it is anothe 30euro.

Kind Regards

Bernie.

brnhwd
03-27-2012, 11:25 PM
Thanks Bernie, I misread there web site, just done a conversion and it comes out at $402. The dollar must be good at the moment. That may be a better option then replacing my MCP. I do like AeroSystems software and try to support fellow Aussies, but if I cannot talk to the software then maybe it time for a change. I was going to evaluate the software but you only have 30 minutes to do so without a license , as I am building a full size cockpit it will take a lot of playing around to set up and need longer then 30 Mins. You don't happen to be in Vic do you? If you were you could earn yourself some money or Beer helping me.

I get back on it tonight and see how I go.

Brendan

Will insert a photo so you can see were i'm at6412

Bernie
03-28-2012, 12:14 AM
Hi Brendan,

Unfortunately I am in South Australia, but if you decide to go down the path of Prosim737 there will be plenty of help in the Prosim737 Forum and I will certainly help where I can. I am building most of my Modules such as MCP and CDU from scratch using Pokeys Cards and Wendy's Led Extension Boards and her new 7 Segment driver boards I will invest in the Front Panels after but for now have made my own panels. Wendy is also a member here. Her site is here http://www.flightsimparts.eu/

Kind Regards

Bernie.

brnhwd
03-28-2012, 01:21 AM
Hi Bernie

I was to thinking of building my own radios, Nav, ADF,COM etc,
I have the panels and was ready to go until I did the sums for parts

Dual concentric rotary = 19 EUR
Display board with 5 digits 15 eur x2 = 30 EUR
Display Driver board 32 eur x2 = 62 EUR
Pokeys = 49 EUR
Total 160EUR

You can buy Opencockpits NAV 737 module p&p 133EUR

Bernie
03-28-2012, 01:50 AM
Hi Brendan,

The calculations you have made are correct but you have to also take into consideration the use of the rest of the Pokeys Card, The inputs that have not been used also have a $ value.

Kind Regards

Bernie.

metamarty
03-28-2012, 04:01 AM
Just a quick note here. Anybody likes to evaluate the option of using ProSim737 with their hardware is perfectly welcome to request a free trial license. Just mail us and you'll get a free license that work for an extended duration.

Evaluation of software is important for cockpit builders, since there is such a broad range of hardware and it's hard to tell from a list of supported hardware if you actually want to continue with a certain product.

Regards,

Marty (ProSim737)

notgotaclue
03-28-2012, 07:55 AM
Just a quick note here. Anybody likes to evaluate the option of using ProSim737 with their hardware is perfectly welcome to request a free trial license. Just mail us and you'll get a free license that work for an extended duration.........

Regards,

Marty (ProSim737)

Hi,
I am very slow at evaluating software, can I have an extended license for 10 years to see if I like it or not? ;)

Allan.

brnhwd
03-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Hi,

Thanks Marty for your offer, will send you PM. Does anybody know of a board similar to CP Flight 737MIP, that does not have to be connected to a MCP. In other words a board for MIP that has terminals to wire all switches and led's and even drive Flap servo that connects via USB. Now that would be a great Idea. How simple live would be.

Brendan

brnhwd
05-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Hi
Just a update that I have been trying Prosim737 software and must say it is the best thing to happen to flight sim in years.
It is so easy to use, setup and connect switches, rotary's etc with pokey's. All I have to do now is pay for it as my trial period is up:(
Thanks Bernie for your advice.
Brendan

Bernie
05-02-2012, 12:50 AM
Hi Brendan,

Yes, it is so simple using the Pokeys Card. Just be careful that when you update the Prosim737 software at any time, you don't accidently delete the configuration file in the folder as this contains all the info for the pin allocations of your Pokeys Cards. It pays to make a backup of this file.

Kind Regards

Bernie.

vidarf
05-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Let me jump in here as a seasoned builder and give a bit of advice: Use FDS sys cards for all your switches and annunciators. They are worth MANY times more than the small difference in price, just because they are extremely simple to use!

I understand the "on a budget" thing, but some items is worth the extra investment. Especially the items you are going to use a lot!

The reason I am pushing FDS SYS all the time is based on the following:
- extremely easy to connect. You only need to pay attention to the dual brightness annunciators in the overhead; they need to be wired to a specific output group. All the other annunciators can be connected without any considerations to what goes where. The switches need no attention at all.
- Extremely simple to configure. Activate "locate input" mode and flick a switch. The software automatically jumps to the correct input for you. The outputs works the opposite way: activate output 1, and the connected annunciator lights up so you can see what it is.
- Configuration files for nearly all functions is available for download. You download the XML files, then assign a XML file to the in- or output you want to configure. All the functions are then applied automagically.
- No need for any scripting, editing config files and so on.
- Works on just USB, preferably via an USB hub.

The same idea should be used on the items you are going to use a lot. The MCP, EFIS and FMC will be used a LOT, therefore they should be of the very best quality. Not only because they look good, but because the more expensive units are built more sturdy. Hopefully, they are going to last for many, many years...

PS: The only drawback with FDS SYS cards: They do not accept any encoders or have any servo control. I use open cockpits cards for a few functions until I find an alternative.

As for software: I see that Brendan got the Prosim software. For a home cockpit, external software is the best way to go. You are eventually going to want total control, and that will never happen with any add ons to FS.

The total cost of a single item, such as software or interface cards, will be insignificant in the long run anyway. I spent more on the overhead gauges than on the FDS SYS cards. I could've gotten two MIP's for the total cost of my overhead panels.
But as long as I can continue using my sim while I constantly refine it and add parts - I am happy! :) After all - it's a hobby. And any hobby is a marathon, not a sprint. But it's easy to lose sight of that fact...