PDA

View Full Version : Efe's Cessna 172 simulator

Efe Cem Elci
05-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Well I guess this is a good place to post. Not sure if I should post in the GA section or here and finally decided on here.

As some of you may have realized, I recently decided to stop building my 737 cockpit and instead started working towards a GA cockpit. The main reason behind this change (apart from the always apparent problem of sufficient space) was my decision regarding my aim in aviation. When I initially started cockpit building, I was virtually flying the big birds. A few years later I was contemplating becoming an airline pilot. Now 5 years down the line the current global state of airline and freight pilot careers, the seemingly bleak future ahead for these options as well as my motivation changing from airline/freight towards the grassroots of aviation and flight instruction has in turn led me to this change in cockpit choice.

So having unloaded all of my 737 items on MyCockpit Classifieds and locally, I started stocking up on GA parts and pieces. I will have pictures for you soon but I at least want to get the panel cut and parts mounted so you will at least have something other than parts on a desk to see :)

Still have to get a computer for the sim or at least get to fixing the currently inop PC...

No Longer Active
05-07-2012, 10:13 AM
Hi Efe,

Welcome to the Cessna club!

The Cessna 172 is a heck of a lot easier to build. I cant stop building mine! But I've just updated my avionics from GoFlight to a custom made panel made by someone on here. Its will be very intriguing to see what you have come up with!

Here is my 152:

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq62/alexpilot2008/IMG00181-20120211-1317.jpg

Ive now started on another pit that uses a joystick and bucket seat! Will be great to collaborate some ideas.

Look forward to your update!

notgotaclue
05-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Alex,
Shouldnt the identification plate read G-ALEX?
Allan.

No Longer Active
05-07-2012, 11:35 AM
It was a play on words, I wanted to over emphasise GA for General Aviation more than the single lettter of G for the UK. I did think about it G-ALEX, just a bit of fun really.

vidarf
05-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Seems appropriate. In Norwegian, the word for insane is GAL. Plural: GALE. And my motto "there's a fine line between hobby and insanity" should be appropriate here... :cool:

Great work! :)

CadetPreston
05-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Wow looking nice! :D I currently have a cessna 172 in planning :) Hoping to start work on it in august.. That's when I should have the financial things sorted :D

Efe Cem Elci
05-12-2012, 07:27 AM
Well guys I have spent this morning going over the CAD drawings provided on SimKits and here. The SimKits was a good start but designed toward using their products in a desktop format (i.e. trim on lower panel, landing gear lever for the RG, etc.). I went through dozens of pictures of 172 panels, all different in their own way and came up with the following CAD.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thanks.

https://rapidshare.com/files/3258227774/PANEL_C172_EFE.pdf

No Longer Active
05-12-2012, 08:54 AM
Rapidshare is saying I need to buy rapids to look at your file? Can you not save the file anywhere else?

Thanks.

Alex

Efe Cem Elci
05-12-2012, 09:45 AM
I actually wanted to upload it to my post on mycockpit but somehow it wasn't working. I've tried to download through the linkl without logging in at RapidShare and it let me download the file, but if everyone is having problems I'll see where else to put it up.

iwik
05-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Hi,
No problem here to d/l without joining.
Les

AK Mongo
05-12-2012, 05:41 PM
I was able to dl it as well without buying the service. The middle box has an option to save to my computer...

Reid

Edit: Looks pretty good! One thing I might consider, although it would take away the absolute realism is to add a prop control cutout. Although the 172 does not have that option you may want to fly a 18x or 2xx that requires it.

Just give you a touch more flexibility.

Efe Cem Elci
05-14-2012, 06:20 AM
Glad to hear that. Alex let me know by PM if you're still having trouble and your email address and I will personally send it to you.

I have just returned from the factory and I was grinning from ear to ear like a kid on Christmas morning during the 20 minute car ride. The panel will be cut today from 2mm aluminium, and they are even going to send it to the painting department! When the CNC guy asked if it was going to be painted, I tried to control my heartbeat and said "if possible" and immediately got greedy (as one does :cool: ) and told them to paint it two colors. Grey for the right and left panel and black for the part covering the (currently absent) radio stack and lower panel.

Anyway, that means I don't have to worry about getting the compressor-based paintgun working again and finding a place with good enough ventilation and where I won't be afraid to get paint everywhere. They are even going to paint the screws for the gauges etc. so I don't have to paint them later. The panel screws will have to be painted again as I have yet to buy the screw mounts (whatever they are called?) and decided how the main panel construction will be. I will wait for the panels to come so I can mount the gauges and see what kind of space restrictions I have behind the panel. Wouldn't want to get something made and find out the gauges can't fit the structure.

Pictures soon hopefully.

Efe Cem Elci
05-18-2012, 05:30 AM
So the panels have come in and only one mistake! The right side top panel and its smaller yoke connection part is black and will need to go back to the paintshop. Not bad considering...

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/7105/img2012051800208.jpg

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/2575/img2012051800209.jpg

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/7084/img2012051800210.jpg

I like how the paintjob on the grey parts turned out. And just as I'm rushing to send this off because I'm late leaving for a meeting, my package from Aircraft Spruce is delivered. Sweet!

Efe Cem Elci
05-18-2012, 05:41 AM
In retrospect I should've had them paint it white first and then the respective colors so that I could get the switch and button texts lasered on later but that's the thing with first attempts. You always find something to do better next time around.

notgotaclue
05-18-2012, 06:27 AM
Tell me about it, I always give advice about doing research and spend time in the planning stages....do I follow my own advice? Naah, I just make it up as I go along ;)
Allan

flyinjake
05-18-2012, 06:43 AM
Efe,

Panel looks great. I will watch this thread for future updates, especially the avionics packages.

I am building a GA panel however my first time around I am making it generic as I learn how to integrate the different systems. It has been a fun learning experience so far.

Jake

Efe Cem Elci
05-18-2012, 09:56 AM
Well I just went to pick up some awards plaques from our usual guy and noticed some work he has done on hard stickers for machinery. after showing him picture of the panels he was intrigued and said he would do my panel stickers for free!

iwik
05-18-2012, 03:45 PM
Hi Efe,
Nice job, really is great when you have access to good machinery. I have a small cnc machine at home, only good for small jobs though. Luckily enough i have a friend who has a Large Cnc machine so when im ready i to will have someone to machine
my mip.
On another point, i have a REAL C172 Trim wheel and indicator on a bracket that is surplus to my requirements. If you are
interested in it, PM me and im sure we could work out something.
Les