PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of changing from PM to ProSim... Any advise ?

Nick1150
06-29-2012, 04:39 AM
Hi there,

As the title says, I am thinking of changing teams.

Any advise at all ?

Thanks

Nick

blueskydriver
06-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Hey Nick,

Checkout ProSim737...

BSD

tiburon
06-30-2012, 12:41 AM
I think he's already done that.....

Martin

notgotaclue
06-30-2012, 06:39 AM
Hi there,

As the title says, I am thinking of changing teams.

Any advise at all ?

Thanks

Nick

Hi,
I dont think you will find anyone who has a negative comment about Prosim737.
Well worth it.
Allan.

nax228
06-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Took you some time, but better late than never.
Only reason to stick with PM is cuz you have so much money invested in the software and you feel that you have to follow that path to get some value for money.
Forget about it, take the loss and get on with your 737 pit with a smile on your face!

Nick1150
07-02-2012, 01:39 AM
Took you some time, but better late than never.
Only reason to stick with PM is cuz you have so much money invested in the software and you feel that you have to follow that path to get some value for money.
Forget about it, take the loss and get on with your 737 pit with a smile on your face!That's the only reason I am staying with PM. The fact is that SimWorld is giving me a free licence of ProSim737 together with the PnP overhead, so if things go right, I am switching to ProSim.

Thanks

Nick

jbucholz
07-02-2012, 03:50 AM
Hello,

I've never used ProSim so I can't speak to its use, but if you use FSX have a look at the iFly Home Cockpit Edition. All models included 600/700/700ER/800/900/900ER/BBJ/BBJ2/BBJ3. SFP and IAN availble as well. Not to mention if you don't like it, there's a 30 day no questions asked refund policy. Check out the product page and my demo videos at:

http://www.simstop.com/store/product_info.php?task=viewinfo&cPath=1&page=index.php&pid=169&products_id=169

Nick1150
07-02-2012, 05:01 AM
Hello,

I've never used ProSim so I can't speak to its use, but if you use FSX have a look at the iFly Home Cockpit Edition. All models included 600/700/700ER/800/900/900ER/BBJ/BBJ2/BBJ3. SFP and IAN availble as well. Not to mention if you don't like it, there's a 30 day no questions asked refund policy. Check out the product page and my demo videos at:

http://www.simstop.com/store/product_info.php?task=viewinfo&cPath=1&page=index.php&pid=169&products_id=169Thanks Jeremy for the info,

Just a note is that I would like to be totaly independent as far as the type of A/C is concerned.

Thanks anyway,

Nick

Sean Nixon
07-02-2012, 05:35 AM
Hi Nick

I'm in the same boat as you. Up to now I only have the captains side from PM. But I'll soon be needing something to run the right hand side and overhead. Not sure which way to go yet. I'm hearing lots of good things about Prosim, I suppose I need to check it out.

Seam

nax228
07-02-2012, 05:38 AM
I followed the iFly suite while it was developed, but the lack of choices reg. hardware interfacing made me drop it.
I havent checked it for a long time now, so maybe things have changed.
I loved the iFly737 and was a betatester for the model. THe flight characteristics was a big leap forward, but the Jetstream that operates with the Prosim software is even better. No doubt it's the best feeling 737 I've ever played with.

jbucholz
07-02-2012, 06:00 AM
Thanks Jeremy for the info,

Just a note is that I would like to be totaly independent as far as the type of A/C is concerned.

Thanks anyway,

Nick

Sure Nick, but I'm a bit confused.....if you're looking to be independent from a specific type of aircraft....why look at ProSim? It is afterall called ProSim737. Seems like FSXpand would be more what you're looking for if you want to be independent from a type of aircraft.

jbucholz
07-02-2012, 06:03 AM
I followed the iFly suite while it was developed, but the lack of choices reg. hardware interfacing made me drop it.
I havent checked it for a long time now, so maybe things have changed.
I loved the iFly737 and was a betatester for the model. THe flight characteristics was a big leap forward, but the Jetstream that operates with the Prosim software is even better. No doubt it's the best feeling 737 I've ever played with.

There are many hardware developers that have drivers already made for the iFly including FDS, CPFlight, Engravity, Sismo, and many more. With iFlytoFSUIPC, it's very easy to program almost any hardware that interfaces with FSUIPC. Not to mention the new driver builder coming out soon. This will allow regular users like you and me without any software experience to create a driver for any hardware device to interface with the iFly. No information on when that will be coming out.

Nick1150
07-02-2012, 06:59 AM
Hi Jeremy,

When I say independent, I mean I would like to fly any 737-800 A/C outhere, like PMDG NGX, iFLY, POSKY, or even stock FSX 737-800 A/C. Time changes everything. Who knows? Maybe in the next month a new A/C will be born.

With ProSim one can be flexible, with iFLY home cockpit edition, eventhough it is a great choice, one has to be loyal to iFLY only. Right ?

jbucholz
07-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Hi Jeremy,

When I say independent, I mean I would like to fly any 737-800 A/C outhere, like PMDG NGX, iFLY, POSKY, or even stock FSX 737-800 A/C. Time changes everything. Who knows? Maybe in the next month a new A/C will be born.

With ProSim one can be flexible, with iFLY home cockpit edition, eventhough it is a great choice, one has to be loyal to iFLY only. Right ?

Unfortunately, that is not correct. ProSim cannot be used with either the NGX or the iFly model. This is because more sophistocated aircraft models are now built with logic within. For you to be able to use the models with ProSim, PM, etc, you need to remove this logic. This then becomes a double-edged sword because when you remove the logic to use the model, you make the model unusable. This is why ProSim created their own flight model, Jetstream, and the reason why the iFly HCE uses the iFly models.

Sure you can use the stock default 737 or the POSKY model, but then what would be the point in switching software platforms? If you wish to stay with those default models, the PM is probably what you should use since you already invested in it.

Sean Nixon
07-02-2012, 12:44 PM
I know this is a dumb question, but how easy is Prosim to set up?

I'm using PM at the moment with CPFlight MCP/EFIS and FDS CDU.

notgotaclue
07-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Well put it this way... I set it up and you all know how stupid I am..;)
Allan.

Sean Nixon
07-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Well put it this way... I set it up and you all know how stupid I am..;)
Allan.

Cool. If you can do it...

nax228
07-02-2012, 02:37 PM
For the panels and prebuilt hardware, you'll be up and running within an hour. switches and annunciators need to be assigned, but you get the hang of it in hours.
It's that easy

Kresimir
07-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Do it Nick! Make the change. i waited also and i am angry on myself that i waited too long to go with
Prosim 737

Kresimir

birdyguy
07-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Unfortunately, that is not correct. ProSim cannot be used with either the NGX or the iFly model. This is because more sophistocated aircraft models are now built with logic within. For you to be able to use the models with ProSim, PM, etc, you need to remove this logic. This then becomes a double-edged sword because when you remove the logic to use the model, you make the model unusable. This is why ProSim created their own flight model, Jetstream, and the reason why the iFly HCE uses the iFly models.

Sure you can use the stock default 737 or the POSKY model, but then what would be the point in switching software platforms? If you wish to stay with those default models, the PM is probably what you should use since you already invested in it.

Hello Jeremy,

A couple of questions please,

I am a bit confused also, but the main thing I am beginning to understand here, is that one is pretty much tied to using the flight model developed within the suite one purchases. I've really come to love the PMDG NGX flight model and it sounds like I would have to give this up if I went to the Prosim 737 suite or the Ifly cockpit edition. (PM is out of my budget.)

My next question would be, how well are the flight models done, and are they done well enough that it would be a smooth and enjoyable transition to a Prosim 737 or Ifly flight model?

All the best

Ed

Sean Nixon
07-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Does Prosim work with Flight Illusion gauges?

jbucholz
07-02-2012, 09:38 PM
Hello Jeremy,

A couple of questions please,

I am a bit confused also, but the main thing I am beginning to understand here, is that one is pretty much tied to using the flight model developed within the suite one purchases. I've really come to love the PMDG NGX flight model and it sounds like I would have to give this up if I went to the Prosim 737 suite or the Ifly cockpit edition. (PM is out of my budget.)

My next question would be, how well are the flight models done, and are they done well enough that it would be a smooth and enjoyable transition to a Prosim 737 or Ifly flight model?

All the best

Ed

Hi Ed,

As I am not a real 737 pilot I can't speak to the accuracy of any flight model. However, at iFly, we have actual 737NG pilots on the team. One just recently got his left seat, congrats to him! If real 737 pilots say it's good, then I have no choice but to take their word for it. The great thing about the iFly suite, if you don't like it within 30 days, simply return it for a full refund. You really have nothing to loose. No other avionics suite offers a refund if you don't like it.

Nick1150
07-03-2012, 12:02 AM

Sure you can use the stock default 737 or the POSKY model, but then what would be the point in switching software platforms? If you wish to stay with those default models, the PM is probably what you should use since you already invested in it.Thanks Jeremy for the info.

But can iFly suite be connected with all hardware like CPflight MIP, MCP, EFIS, Radios, FDS hardware, Fly Engravity CDUs, Overheads, SimWorld Overhead, Cockpitsonic hardware, etc.. ?

jbucholz
07-03-2012, 01:29 AM
Thanks Jeremy for the info.

But can iFly suite be connected with all hardware like CPflight MIP, MCP, EFIS, Radios, FDS hardware, Fly Engravity CDUs, Overheads, SimWorld Overhead, Cockpitsonic hardware, etc.. ?

CPFlight - YES
FDS - YES, I use their PRO-MX-CDU in my pit
Engravity - YES, although I've had the Engravity CDU and I rather prefer the FDS unit (personal opinion of course)
SimWorld - If I'm not mistaken they use the same stuff as Engravity so my assumption would be yes, but a simple e-mail to them to verify would give you the best answer.
Cockpitsonic - Like SimWorld, an e-mail to them to verify will give you your answer.

We could list all day every hardware developer, but the simple answer is if it can interface with FSUIPC, it can interface with the iFly. I use Opencockpits hardware in my pit and everything works flawlessly.

Here is a link to a video I made with my latest editions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVMK8-NRdRQ

metamarty
07-03-2012, 03:50 AM
Does Prosim work with Flight Illusion gauges?

I think one of the main advantages we have is our direct control of practically all hardware in the market. No FSUIPC needed in most cases. We also natively include Flight Illusion support. No G-STEP software required. Configuration with generic board is a matter of moving your hardware switch and clicking on the required function in the ProSim configuration screen, so again no lists of FSUIPC offsets, no scripts and no text files. It was built to be easy to configure.

The whole system was built from the ground up to control hardware cockpits and be independent of simulators. This brings the load from the simulations out of your simulator and leave it with maximum FPS for scenery.

As for refunds, the ProSim737 main program is free for non commercial use. You can always try it out free of charge. The display/mcp/cdu modules run for 30 minutes without license and we hand out free trial licenses if you want to try them out for some time. No charge, no risk.

Marty

Philb737
07-03-2012, 12:36 PM
After using PM Sys for 3 years and spending 100 of hrs trying to make the software work right, I finally throw in the towel and migrated to ProSim in May.This was the best decision I made in regard to this hobby in a long time!! My only regret is why I didn't make the transition sooner.
Thank you Marty and Hanne.
Cheers
phil