PDA

View Full Version : Approved Simulator

Bonehead
04-05-2013, 04:57 AM
HI his may be a bit of a 'pipe dream' but I was thinking if I was to build a simulator it would be nice to be able to use it for MCC courses for baby commercial pilots.

i have a background in engineering and also as a commercial pilot with a touch of programming skills thrown in.

i did a search here for FNPT to see what others have come up with but other than a disappointed 320 sim owner who failed to get approval for his sim I've not turned up much.

any thoughts from anyone on the subject? Given the choice I would want to build a 738 as that's what I know.

tia

blueskydriver
04-05-2013, 07:12 AM
Hi Tia,

If you really wanted to get it certified, you'll have to go with Flightdecksolutions simulators or similar, as they've proved themselves by doing stuff for the Boeing Company outright. However, your problems would be the learning curve with X-plane because you'll have to use X-plane 10 for certification.

Forget FSX in the certfication regards because FSX is not usually used for anything beyond familiarization training. So, if you're still with FSX, you need to switch. As far as I know there are just a handful of guys who have switched over to X-plane 10 on their homecockpit sims, and out of those I don't know if they're certified for anything. Thus, you'll be threading new territory, but don't give up because it has been done before...just by a few though.

Still, I love to tell everyone this, throw out a post to ask to visit folks with full homecockpit sims. Almost everyone who has a sim will offer to let you visit, as we all love to show our sims too others...me included (except I am in Wisconsin, so that will not help you). There are lots of guys in the UK and Europe in general, so you'll likely get an invite pretty quick.

Best Regards,

John

Sean Nixon
04-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Nothing wrong with asking the question. You've got to start somewhere! I have often thought the same thing, not that it's an avenue I am thinking of taking, but it's an interesting question nonetheless.

I'm building a 738, what's your background? Where in the UK are you?

Sean

PS - Hi John!

Bonehead
04-05-2013, 06:18 PM
I'm in the midlands.

A friend of mine has a sim at home and I've always been more into online gaming flight sims such as il2 and dcs A10.

im very lucky in that I earn my living flying and have done so for 20 years. I still enjoy flying but sadly not the industry, it's far too cut throat these days, if I could earn a living doing something else and fly for fun I would!

Bonehead
04-05-2013, 06:19 PM
Oh by the way TIA was not my name but 'thanks in advance' ... Sorry :) I'm turning into a teenage texter!

Sean Nixon
04-06-2013, 03:41 AM
Sherburn Aero Club have a monthly flight sim get together. It's on today. Maybe a bit short notice for you, but I'm about to jump in the car and head down for the first time. They might have something that interests you. They also built a sim which they use for training.

Flight Sim Group (http://www.sherburn-aero-club.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=86&Itemid=81)

Bonehead
04-06-2013, 06:03 AM
Oh right, well I might check that out next time, im in a hotel down route at the moment so its not really possible today. Thinking about it a friend was there a couple of months ago looking at doing some rotary flying and I'm sure he said they had an R44 sim.

thanks for the info though.

Bonehead
04-08-2013, 07:16 AM
It seems one of the requirements for approval is realistic feel of the controls, I haven't seen any off the shelf units for sale for 737 sims. I have read some old posts on here some threads haven't been posted in for years.

has anyone successfully managed to reproduce the 73 feel? I would have thought reproducing the feel of the 737 would be easier in some ways than a light aircraft.

blueskydriver
04-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Hey Sean...its been a long time my friend

Bonehead, what is your first name?

As for real feel of the Yoke, there are a few guys who have pulled that off as well, but you're right in that its been awhile since seeing those postings on the subject. You could PM Mike Leavy over on Cockpitbuilders dot com and ask him because he too is a real-world active B737 pilot building a simulator, so he might have insight.

If you're speaking of fighters, then goto Simpits dot org (. not word dot) or viperpits dot org. There are folks in that realm who have got the force/feel down to a science; especially, F16 builders.

I do hope you get a chance to visit Sean's sim as his is in the top tier for home builders.

Best Regards,

John

Bonehead
04-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Hi thanks for the info ill keep digging!

Ali320
09-04-2013, 01:29 AM
Hi there :

APPENDIX 1. PERSONAL COMPUTER-BASED AVIATION

TRAINING DEVICE (PCATD) QUALIFICATION GUIDE

This Qualification Guide provides a means for qualifying PCATD's for use as FTD's in part 61 or

approved part 141 instrument training curricula. This Qualification Guide may be used to determine that a

PCATD meets or exceeds minimum acceptable FAA design criteria. PCATD's qualified in accordance

with this AC may be used for instrument training tasks only. They may not be used for testing or checking.

Each Qualification Guide submitted to the FAA for evaluation must state what type airplane or family of

airplanes is being replicated and used as the basis for the following criteria.

PCATD DESIGN CRITERIA

Controls.
A PCATD must provide some physical controls and may provide some virtual controls.

1. Physical controls should be recognizable as to their function and how they can be manipulated

solely from their appearance. Physical controls eliminate the use of either a keyboard or mouse to control

the simulated aircraft.

2. For the purposes of this guide, virtual control is any input device to control aspects of the

simulation (such as setting aircraft configuration, location, and wind) and to program, pause, or freeze the

device. Virtual controls should be primarily for instructor use.

Control Requirements.

1. A physical, self-centering, displacement yoke or control stick that allows continuous adjustment of

pitch and bank.

2. Physical, self-centering rudder pedals that allow continuous adjustment of yaw.

3. A physical throttle lever or power lever that allows continuous movement from idle to full power

settings.

4. Physical controls for the following items, as applicable to the aircraft or family of aircraft

replicated:

a. Flaps

b. Propellers

c. Mixtures

d. Pitch trim

AC 61-126 5/12/97

Page 6 Par 8

e. Communication and navigation radios

f. Clock or timer

g. Gear handle

h. Transponder

i. Altimeter

j. Microphone with push to talk switch

k. Carburetor heat

l. Cowl flaps

5. Control inputs.

a. Time from control input to recognizable system response (transport delay) must be

300 milliseconds or less. This standard must be certified by the manufacturer in the qualification guide

submitted for qualification. Users will not be required to verify this standard when requesting approval of

a PCATD. Normally, FAA inspectors will not be expected to measure or verify this maximum delay time

as a part of the PCATD approval process.

b. The control inputs must be tested by the computer and software at each start and displayed as a

confirmation message or a warning message that the transport delay time or any design parameter is out of

original tolerances. This test must consider the items listed under Display Requirements (see paragraphs 1

through 4 below.)

Display Requirements.

1. Instruments and indicators.

a. An adjustable altimeter with incremental markings each 20 feet or less, operable throughout the

normal operating range of the aircraft or family of aircraft replicated.

b. A heading indicator with incremental markings each 5
o , or less, displayed on a 360o circle. Arc

segments of less than 360
o may be selectively displayed if desired or required, as applicable to the aircraft

or family of aircraft replicated.

c. An airspeed indicator with incremental markings as shown on the aircraft or family of aircraft

replicated; however, airspeed markings of less than 40 knots need not be displayed.

d. A vertical speed indicator with incremental markings each 100 feet per minute (fpm) for both

climb and descent, for the first 1000 fpm of climb and descent, and at each 500 fpm climb and descent for

the remainder of a minimum ± 2000 fpm total display, or as applicable to the aircraft or family of aircraft

being replicated.

5/12/97 AC 61-126

Par 6 Page 7

e. A turn and bank indicator with incremental markings for a rate of 3
o per second turn for left and

right turns. The 3
o per second rate index must be inside of the maximum deflection of the indicator.

f. A slip and skid indicator with coordination information displayed in the conventional skid ball

format where a coordinated flight condition is indicated with the ball in the center position. A split image

triangle indication may be used if applicable to the aircraft or family of aircraft being replicated.

g. An attitude indicator with incremental markings each 5
o of pitch or less, from 20o pitch up to

o pitch down or as applicable to the aircraft or family of aircraft replicated. Bank angles must be

identified at “wings level” and at 10, 20, 30, and 60
o of bank (with an optional additional identification at

o) in left and right banks.

h. Engine instruments as applicable to the aircraft or family of aircraft being replicated, providing

markings for normal ranges and minimum and maximum limits.

i. A suction gauge or instrument pressure gauge, as applicable, with a display applicable to the

aircraft or family of aircraft replicated.

j. A flap setting indicator which displays the current flap setting. Setting indications must be

typical of that found in an actual aircraft.

k. A pitch trim indicator with a display that shows zero trim and appropriate indices of aircraft

nose down and aircraft nose up trim, as would be found in an aircraft.

l. Communication radio(s) with display(s) of the radio frequency in use.

m. Navigation radio(s), including an ADF and a VOR with ILS indicator (each with an aural

identification feature), and a marker beacon receiver. As applicable, the incremental markings noted below

must be present.

(1) One-half dot or less for course/glide slope deviation (i.e., VOR/ILS).

(2) 5
o or less for bearing deviation for ADF and RMI, as applicable.

n. A clock with sweep second hand and incremental markings each minute and second or a timer

with a display of minutes and seconds.

o. A magnetic compass with incremental markings each 10
o or less. The compass should display

the proper lead or lag during turns.

p. A transponder panel which displays the current transponder setting.

q. A fuel quantity indicator(s) which displays the fuel remaining, either in analog or digital format,

as appropriate for the aircraft or family of aircraft replicated.

2. All instrument displays listed above must be visible during all flight operations. The update rate of

all displays must provide an image of the instrument that:

a. Does not appear to be out of focus.

AC 61-126 5/12/97

Page 8 Par 8

b. Does not appear to “jump” or “step” to a distracting degree during operation.

c. Does not appear with distracting jagged lines or edges.

3. Display update must be 10 Hz or faster. Each display must sense a change and react at a value less

than the stated. Display updates must display all changes (within the total range of the replicated

instrument) that are equal to or greater than the values stated below:

a. Airspeed indicator: Change of 5 knots.

b. Attitude indicator: Change of 2
o in pitch and bank.

c. Altimeter: Change of 10 feet.

d. Turn and bank: Change of 1/4 standard rate turn.

e. Heading indicator: Change of 2
o.

f. VSI: Change of 100 fpm.

g. Tachometer: Change of 25 rpm or 2% of turbine speed.

h. VOR/ILS: Change of 1
o for VOR or 1/4 of 1o for ILS.

i. ADF: Change of 2
o.

j. Clock or timer: Change of 1 second.

4. Displays must reflect dynamic behavior of an actual aircraft display; e.g., a VSI reading of 500 fpm

must reflect a corresponding movement in altimeter, and an increase in power must reflect an increase in

the rpm indication or power indicator.

Flight Dynamics Requirements.

1. Flight dynamics of the PCATD must be comparable to the way the training aircraft represented

performs and handles. There is no requirement for a PCATD to have control loading to exactly replicate

any particular aircraft. An air data handling package is not required for determination of forces to simulate

during the manufacturing process.

2. Aircraft performance parameters (maximum speed, cruise speed, stall speed, maximum climb rate)

must be comparable to the aircraft or family of aircraft being replicated.

3. Aircraft vertical lift component must change as a function of bank, comparable to the way the

aircraft or family of aircraft being replicated performs and handles.

4. Changes in flap setting, slat setting (if any), and gear position (if any) must be accompanied by

changes in flight dynamics, comparable to the way the aircraft or family of aircraft replicated performs and

handles.

5/12/97 AC 61-126

Par 6 Page 9

5. The presence and intensity of wind and turbulence must be reflected in the handling and

performance qualities of the simulated aircraft and must be comparable to the way the aircraft or family of

aircraft replicated performs and handles.

Instructional Management Requirements.

1. The instructor must be able to pause the system at any point for the purpose of administering

instruction regarding the task.

2. If a training session will begin with the aircraft already in the air and ready for the performance of a

particular procedural task, the instructor must be able to manipulate the following system parameters

independently of the simulation:

a. Aircraft geographic location

b. Aircraft heading

c. Aircraft airspeed

d. Aircraft altitude

e. Engine power

f. Wind direction, speed, and turbulence

3. The system must be capable of recording both a horizontal and vertical track of aircraft movement

for later playback and review.

4. The instructor must be able to disable any of the instruments prior to the beginning of a training

session, and to simulate failure of any of the instruments during a training session without stopping or

freezing the simulation to effect the failure.

5. The PCATD must have at least a navigational area data base that is local to the training facility to

allow reinforcement of procedures learned during actual flight in that area. All navigational data must be

based on procedures as published in 14 CFR part 97.

Task Requirements List.

A PCATD having the features specified above will be qualified for use in procedural training in the

instrument flight tasks listed below. These instrument tasks must be incorporated in an integrated ground

and flight instrument training curriculum:

1. Flight by Reference to Instruments

a. Straight and level flight

b. Change of airspeed

AC 61-126 5/12/97

Page 10 Par 8

c. Constant airspeed climbs

d. Constant rate climbs

e. Constant airspeed descents

f. Constant rate descents

g. Level turns, including standard rate turns

h. Climbing turns

i. Descending turns

j. Steep turns

2. Abnormal and Emergency Procedures

a. Timed turns

b. Compass turns

c. Instrument failures

d. Procedures for turbulence

3. Radio Navigation Procedures

a. VOR navigation

b. NDB navigation

c. Localizer & ILS navigation

d. VOR holding pattern

e. NDB holding pattern

f. Localizer holding pattern

g. Intersection holding pattern

h. Use of RNAV, including GPS

I. Use of DME

4. Instrument Approach Procedures

a. Precision approaches

5/12/97 AC 61-126

Par 6 Page 11

b. Nonprecision approaches

c. ILS back course approach

d. Missed approach

5. Communications Procedures

a. Air traffic control clearances

i. Departure clearances

ii. Enroute clearances

iii. Arrival clearances

b. Radio advisories and warnings

i. ATIS and CTAF

ii. SIGMETS, AIRMETS, NOTAMS, FSS communications, and flight plan changes

6. Cross-country Procedures

a. Departure

b. Enroute

c. Arrival

Ali320
09-04-2013, 01:30 AM
APPENDIX 1. PERSONAL COMPUTER-BASED AVIATION
TRAINING DEVICE (PCATD) QUALIFICATION GUIDE
This Qualification Guide provides a means for qualifying PCATD's for use as FTD's in part 61 or
approved part 141 instrument training curricula. This Qualification Guide may be used to determine that a
PCATD meets or exceeds minimum acceptable FAA design criteria. PCATD's qualified in accordance
with this AC may be used for instrument training tasks only. They may not be used for testing or checking.
Each Qualification Guide submitted to the FAA for evaluation must state what type airplane or family of
airplanes is being replicated and used as the basis for the following criteria.
PCATD DESIGN CRITERIA
Controls.
A PCATD must provide some physical controls and may provide some virtual controls.
1. Physical controls should be recognizable as to their function and how they can be manipulated
solely from their appearance. Physical controls eliminate the use of either a keyboard or mouse to control
the simulated aircraft.
2. For the purposes of this guide, virtual control is any input device to control aspects of the
simulation (such as setting aircraft configuration, location, and wind) and to program, pause, or freeze the
device. Virtual controls should be primarily for instructor use.
Control Requirements.
1. A physical, self-centering, displacement yoke or control stick that allows continuous adjustment of
pitch and bank.
2. Physical, self-centering rudder pedals that allow continuous adjustment of yaw.
3. A physical throttle lever or power lever that allows continuous movement from idle to full power
settings.
4. Physical controls for the following items, as applicable to the aircraft or family of aircraft
replicated:
a. Flaps
b. Propellers
c. Mixtures
d. Pitch trim
AC 61-126 5/12/97
Page 6 Par 8
e. Communication and navigation radios
f. Clock or timer
g. Gear handle
h. Transponder
i. Altimeter
j. Microphone with push to talk switch
k. Carburetor heat
l. Cowl flaps
5. Control inputs.
a. Time from control input to recognizable system response (transport delay) must be
300 milliseconds or less. This standard must be certified by the manufacturer in the qualification guide
submitted for qualification. Users will not be required to verify this standard when requesting approval of
a PCATD. Normally, FAA inspectors will not be expected to measure or verify this maximum delay time
as a part of the PCATD approval process.
b. The control inputs must be tested by the computer and software at each start and displayed as a
confirmation message or a warning message that the transport delay time or any design parameter is out of
original tolerances. This test must consider the items listed under Display Requirements (see paragraphs 1
through 4 below.)
Display Requirements.
1. Instruments and indicators.
a. An adjustable altimeter with incremental markings each 20 feet or less, operable throughout the
normal operating range of the aircraft or family of aircraft replicated.
b. A heading indicator with incremental markings each 5
o , or less, displayed on a 360o circle. Arc
segments of less than 360
o may be selectively displayed if desired or required, as applicable to the aircraft
or family of aircraft replicated.
c. An airspeed indicator with incremental markings as shown on the aircraft or family of aircraft
replicated; however, airspeed markings of less than 40 knots need not be displayed.
d. A vertical speed indicator with incremental markings each 100 feet per minute (fpm) for both
climb and descent, for the first 1000 fpm of climb and descent, and at each 500 fpm climb and descent for
the remainder of a minimum ± 2000 fpm total display, or as applicable to the aircraft or family of aircraft
being replicated.
5/12/97 AC 61-126
Par 6 Page 7
e. A turn and bank indicator with incremental markings for a rate of 3
o per second turn for left and
right turns. The 3
o per second rate index must be inside of the maximum deflection of the indicator.
f. A slip and skid indicator with coordination information displayed in the conventional skid ball
format where a coordinated flight condition is indicated with the ball in the center position. A split image
triangle indication may be used if applicable to the aircraft or family of aircraft being replicated.
g. An attitude indicator with incremental markings each 5
o of pitch or less, from 20o pitch up to
o pitch down or as applicable to the aircraft or family of aircraft replicated. Bank angles must be
identified at “wings level” and at 10, 20, 30, and 60
o of bank (with an optional additional identification at
o) in left and right banks.
h. Engine instruments as applicable to the aircraft or family of aircraft being replicated, providing
markings for normal ranges and minimum and maximum limits.
i. A suction gauge or instrument pressure gauge, as applicable, with a display applicable to the
aircraft or family of aircraft replicated.
j. A flap setting indicator which displays the current flap setting. Setting indications must be
typical of that found in an actual aircraft.
k. A pitch trim indicator with a display that shows zero trim and appropriate indices of aircraft
nose down and aircraft nose up trim, as would be found in an aircraft.
l. Communication radio(s) with display(s) of the radio frequency in use.
m. Navigation radio(s), including an ADF and a VOR with ILS indicator (each with an aural
identification feature), and a marker beacon receiver. As applicable, the incremental markings noted below
must be present.
(1) One-half dot or less for course/glide slope deviation (i.e., VOR/ILS).
(2) 5
o or less for bearing deviation for ADF and RMI, as applicable.
n. A clock with sweep second hand and incremental markings each minute and second or a timer
with a display of minutes and seconds.
o. A magnetic compass with incremental markings each 10
o or less. The compass should display
the proper lead or lag during turns.
p. A transponder panel which displays the current transponder setting.
q. A fuel quantity indicator(s) which displays the fuel remaining, either in analog or digital format,
as appropriate for the aircraft or family of aircraft replicated.
2. All instrument displays listed above must be visible during all flight operations. The update rate of
all displays must provide an image of the instrument that:
a. Does not appear to be out of focus.
AC 61-126 5/12/97
Page 8 Par 8
b. Does not appear to “jump” or “step” to a distracting degree during operation.
c. Does not appear with distracting jagged lines or edges.
3. Display update must be 10 Hz or faster. Each display must sense a change and react at a value less
than the stated. Display updates must display all changes (within the total range of the replicated
instrument) that are equal to or greater than the values stated below:
a. Airspeed indicator: Change of 5 knots.
b. Attitude indicator: Change of 2
o in pitch and bank.
c. Altimeter: Change of 10 feet.
d. Turn and bank: Change of 1/4 standard rate turn.
e. Heading indicator: Change of 2
o.
f. VSI: Change of 100 fpm.
g. Tachometer: Change of 25 rpm or 2% of turbine speed.
h. VOR/ILS: Change of 1
o for VOR or 1/4 of 1o for ILS.
i. ADF: Change of 2
o.
j. Clock or timer: Change of 1 second.
4. Displays must reflect dynamic behavior of an actual aircraft display; e.g., a VSI reading of 500 fpm
must reflect a corresponding movement in altimeter, and an increase in power must reflect an increase in
the rpm indication or power indicator.
Flight Dynamics Requirements.
1. Flight dynamics of the PCATD must be comparable to the way the training aircraft represented
performs and handles. There is no requirement for a PCATD to have control loading to exactly replicate
any particular aircraft. An air data handling package is not required for determination of forces to simulate
during the manufacturing process.
2. Aircraft performance parameters (maximum speed, cruise speed, stall speed, maximum climb rate)
must be comparable to the aircraft or family of aircraft being replicated.
3. Aircraft vertical lift component must change as a function of bank, comparable to the way the
aircraft or family of aircraft being replicated performs and handles.
4. Changes in flap setting, slat setting (if any), and gear position (if any) must be accompanied by
changes in flight dynamics, comparable to the way the aircraft or family of aircraft replicated performs and
handles.
5/12/97 AC 61-126
Par 6 Page 9
5. The presence and intensity of wind and turbulence must be reflected in the handling and
performance qualities of the simulated aircraft and must be comparable to the way the aircraft or family of
aircraft replicated performs and handles.
Instructional Management Requirements.
1. The instructor must be able to pause the system at any point for the purpose of administering
instruction regarding the task.
2. If a training session will begin with the aircraft already in the air and ready for the performance of a
particular procedural task, the instructor must be able to manipulate the following system parameters
independently of the simulation:
a. Aircraft geographic location
b. Aircraft heading
c. Aircraft airspeed
d. Aircraft altitude
e. Engine power
f. Wind direction, speed, and turbulence
3. The system must be capable of recording both a horizontal and vertical track of aircraft movement
for later playback and review.
4. The instructor must be able to disable any of the instruments prior to the beginning of a training
session, and to simulate failure of any of the instruments during a training session without stopping or
freezing the simulation to effect the failure.
5. The PCATD must have at least a navigational area data base that is local to the training facility to
allow reinforcement of procedures learned during actual flight in that area. All navigational data must be
based on procedures as published in 14 CFR part 97.
Task Requirements List.
A PCATD having the features specified above will be qualified for use in procedural training in the
instrument flight tasks listed below. These instrument tasks must be incorporated in an integrated ground
and flight instrument training curriculum:
1. Flight by Reference to Instruments
a. Straight and level flight
b. Change of airspeed
AC 61-126 5/12/97
Page 10 Par 8
c. Constant airspeed climbs
d. Constant rate climbs
e. Constant airspeed descents
f. Constant rate descents
g. Level turns, including standard rate turns
h. Climbing turns
i. Descending turns
j. Steep turns
2. Abnormal and Emergency Procedures
a. Timed turns
b. Compass turns
c. Instrument failures
d. Procedures for turbulence
3. Radio Navigation Procedures
a. VOR navigation
b. NDB navigation
c. Localizer & ILS navigation
d. VOR holding pattern
e. NDB holding pattern
f. Localizer holding pattern
g. Intersection holding pattern
h. Use of RNAV, including GPS
I. Use of DME
4. Instrument Approach Procedures
a. Precision approaches
5/12/97 AC 61-126
Par 6 Page 11
b. Nonprecision approaches
c. ILS back course approach
d. Missed approach
5. Communications Procedures
a. Air traffic control clearances
i. Departure clearances
ii. Enroute clearances
iii. Arrival clearances
b. Radio advisories and warnings
i. ATIS and CTAF
ii. SIGMETS, AIRMETS, NOTAMS, FSS communications, and flight plan changes
6. Cross-country Procedures
a. Departure
b. Enroute
c. Arrival

geneb
09-05-2013, 10:09 AM
The two previous replies are spam. He's got ebay links embedded in some of the text.

g.

Ali320
09-05-2013, 10:07 PM
Geneb Apparently u are dreaming !!!
Where did you find the ebay links embedded in the text ?!!!

geneb
09-06-2013, 10:57 AM
There's one here: "1. A physical, self-centering, displacement yoke or control stick that allows continuous adjustment of" (link is "control stick")

here: "k. Carburetor heat" (link is "Carburetor")

here: "d. A vertical speed indicator with incremental markings each 100 feet per minute (fpm) for both" (link is "vertical speed indicator")

There are others. Look for the light blue text.

g.

Avro748
09-06-2013, 11:01 AM
Sometimes links are automatically added to posts. It's happened to me before. If it was something much more specific that would benefit Ali320, then it would probably be spam.

geneb
09-06-2013, 11:33 AM
If that's happening then it needs to be disabled, like YESTERDAY. That kind of crap is just unconscionable.

g.

Avro748
09-06-2013, 08:33 PM
I think it's an ad thing, so MyCockpit actually can stay alive.

geneb
09-06-2013, 10:55 PM
It's sneaky and underhanded is what it is.

g.

Ali320
09-07-2013, 12:21 AM
In my side can't see any links !
the problem should be somewhere else, in your browser maybe

Avro748
09-07-2013, 12:55 AM
On my browser, the links were in different spots than what Geneb described. It's probably client side.

Ali320
09-08-2013, 11:51 PM
Evaluate Simulator
or Flight Training Device
CAAI OPS DIRECTIVE
OPS 1.1.062
AIR OPERATOR
CERTIFICATION
OPS 1.1.062 OPS Inspector Handbook
Evaluate Simulator / FTD Revision 2
24 OCT 2012
`Page 2
of 7
1. Objective
1.1. This directive contains guidance for use by inspectors when
approving a Simulator or FTD for use by an air operator in its
training program.
1.2. This directive may not be used for certification or qualification of
Simulators and FTDs. It is intended for validating an already
certified device (usually by FAA, EASA, or other contracting
state) and for approving its use in a specific training program.
2. General
Simulators
2.1.1. Flight simulators are qualified as a Level A, B, C, or D
flight simulator. Simulators approved for use in training,
checking, and testing under an approved curriculum must
represent the make, model, series, variant, and in some
cases serial number range of the aircraft training described
by the curriculum. The simulator must be equipped/modified
to include mandatory aircraft modifications. Each simulator
must meet and maintain the standards under which they
were originally qualified (i.e., under the provisions of FAA
AC 120-40
, current edition, Airplane Simulator
Qualification).
2.1.2. Some curriculum modules or elements require a specific
visual scene to accomplish a particular training event.
These events may require an accurate representation of the
airport, its lighting, the surrounding environment, etc. For
example:

Special airports and approaches,

Approach and landing using visual (ground or airport)
references,

Surface Movement Guidance and Control System training,

Line-Oriented Flight Training (LOFT),

Circling approaches, or

Other special circumstances.
2.1.3. With respect to the circling approach, the simulator initial
certification evaluates and qualifies the simulator’s ability to
conduct the circling maneuver. However, the CAAI is
responsible for evaluating and approving each proposed
circling approach to be used for training, checking, or
testing.
24 OCT 2012
`Page 3
of 7
Flight Training Devices.
2.2.1. Advanced FTDs are those FTDs qualified as Level 6 or 7.
2.2.2. These devices must meet and maintain the qualification
standards set forth in FAA
AC 120-45, Airplane Flight
Training Device Qualification, as amended or other
equivalent document issued by the applicable regulatory
agency.
2.2.3. Once the FAA qualifies the FTD, the POI may approve
training, testing, and checking in those events that may be
accomplished in that level of FTD in accordance with the
appropriate Skill-Test-Standards (STS).
2.2.4. The qualification and approval of an advanced FTD is the
same process as that used to approve a simulator.
3. Reference Material, Forms & Job-Aids
3.1. Reference Material
3.1.1. FAA
AC 120-40
3.1.2. FAA
AC 120-45, Airplane Flight Training Device
Qualification
3.2. Forms
3.2.1. F 1.1.062-1 – Simulator or FTD Approval Checklist.
3.3. Regulatory Requirements
3.3.1. IANR.Ops. 434(b)(4)
3.3.2. IANR.Ops. 436.
4. Process
Approval Guidelines
4.1.1. Following the appropriate authority qualification of a
particular simulator or FTD, the POI must evaluate and
approve the device for use in the operator’s training
program.
4.1.2. This approval will include the specific curriculum,
particular maneuver, procedure, and/or crewmember
function permitted to be performed in the device.
24 OCT 2012
`Page 4
of 7
4.1.3. ANRs requires the operator’s flight training equipment to
be appropriate for and adequate to support the curriculum
goals and each curriculum.
4.1.4. The flight training equipment must represent the specific
aircraft make, model, series, variant, and in some cases,
serial number of the aircraft represented by the training
device and curriculum.
4.1.5. When describing flight-training equipment, the curriculum
must use terminology consistent with the level of
qualification authorized for the particular device.
Circling Approach Approval
Circling approach approval guidelines require:
4.2.1. The proposed airport scene to represent an accurate
airport visual presentation of the airport layout and
environment.
4.2.2. Only those combinations of instrument approach
procedures and landing runway that meet the criteria of the
airline transport pilot
Skill Test Standards (STS) (landing
runway heading that is at least 90 degrees to the final
approach course) to be approved for use in curriculum
leading to airman certification or proficiency.
4.2.3. The approach to be flown at the appropriate approach
speed by an airman qualified and current in the aircraft.
4.2.4. The aircraft should be at maximum landing weight and in
the appropriate configuration.
4.2.5. Evaluate night and day scenes (if day is available) with
emphasis on airport and runway lighting.
4.2.6. Ceiling and visibility should be set at the minimums for
the aircrafts circling approach category.
4.2.7. The simulator should be frozen in a position the
represents the minimum descent altitude and visibility
minimums for the approach and observe the airport
environment and lighting to determine the appropriateness
of the simulator’s visual cues.
4.2.8. Conduct a circling maneuver by constant visual reference
to the airport environment and to the landing runway.
Freeze the simulator periodically as the maneuver is being
accomplished to observe whether the airport environment,
ceiling, and visibility are maintained.
24 OCT 2012
`Page 5
of 7
4.2.9. Conduct the approach and circling maneuver again in
“real time” (without pause) to determine if the procedure
requires any unusual maneuvering and if it is a viable
approach and landing.
4.2.10. Provided the evaluation parameters are acceptable, the
POI will approve the simulator for the specific runway and
circling approach combinations that may be used in the
operator's training curricula.
Inoperative Components
In order for a training center or operator to conduct training,
testing, and checking with inoperative components, the operator
or training center may elect to have an approved Simulator
Component Inoperative Guide (SCIG).
4.3.1. The SCIG outlines the training, checking, or testing that
will not be permitted when a component is inoperative.
4.3.2. Although similar in effect, the operator or training center
must not use an aircraft minimum equipment list (MEL) to
determine the operational status of simulators or FTDs.
4.3.3. If a SCIG is used, the training center must develop as a
part of the SCIG a management program for managing the
repair of items, the use of the device in the degraded
condition, and notification of the appropriate personnel. The
SCIG management program must include procedures to
ensure the reliability of the performance functions, and all
other characteristics that were required for qualification for
each flight simulator or FTD.
4.3.4. SCIGs require the POIs approval in order to be used in
an approved training curriculum. Once approved, the POI
will authorize the use of an SCIG by entry in the operator’s
training program.
Approving FTD
4.4.1. The first step requires the regulatory authority to evaluate
and qualify flight-training equipment in accordance with
technical standards.
4.4.2. The second step in the process requires the POI to
evaluate the qualification report and recommendations.
Before approval, the POI must determine if the flight training
equipment is capable of performing each particular
maneuver, procedure, or crewmember function required by
the curriculum and that the equipment represents the
specific category and class of aircraft, type of aircraft, and
24 OCT 2012
`Page 6
of 7
particular variation within the type of aircraft addressed by
the curriculum. Training, testing, and checking in aircraft not
of the same model, series, and variant (including, in some
cases, similar serial numbers), and not equipped the same
as the simulator or FTD must not be approved.
4.4.3. After determining that the flight training equipment is
appropriately equipped and capable of accomplishing the
curriculum requirements, the POI issues approval for the
simulator or FTD to be used in a training program. The
approval must specify any limitations that are appropriate.
Approval to use a particular FTD (simulator or FTD) is
authorized through the operator's training program.
4.4.4. Levels 4 and 5 FTDs.
These devices are qualified by the FAA or other appropriate
local regulatory agency in accordance with the qualification
test guide submitted by the training center and accepted by
that regulatory agency. Each device must meet and
maintain the qualification standards set forth in FAA
AC
120-45
or equivalent. These devices are limited in capability
and may only be used to conduct those maneuvers
identified in the appropriate
Skill-Test-Standards (STS).
4.4.5. Daily Inspection Requirements.
Each simulator or FTD must be given a functional preflight
inspection each day before use. As part of the approval
process, the POI must determine if the training center has a
procedure for accomplishing and documenting required
preflight inspections. Preflight inspections will be conducted
in accordance with a predetermined list of inspection items
that are acceptable to the POI and must include a method
of logging deficiencies.
4.4.6. Operating Deficiencies (Simulator or FTD).
Each simulator and FTD must have a method to log
discrepancies and to advise instructors and evaluators that
training must not be conducted in events that rely on the
inoperative equipment. POI must determine how the
training center will identify, record, and resolve
discrepancies. Training center must have in place a quality
control system for discrepancies that provides instructors
and evaluators with information on equipment status prior to
the conduct of evaluations or instruction.
4.4.7. As part of the process for maintaining the
FTDs/simulators qualification, the appropriate authority also
conducts periodic evaluations to insure standards and
performance of the equipment are being maintained.
24 OCT 2012
`Page 7
of 7
4.4.8. Evaluations may discover deficiencies that require a
restriction to training, checking, or testing be imposed. A list
of all deficiencies will be provided to the FTD’s operator and
the POI. The POI will review all forwarded discrepancies
and determine if the training approval for the device will
need to be restricted until the training center resolves the
discrepancies. POIs are responsible for the continued
surveillance of the centers simulators and FTDs and may
also place a limitation/restriction on training, testing, and
testing at any time when deficiencies are noted.
4.4.9. The resolution of discrepancies is the responsibility of the
operator. It is also the responsibility of the operator to
advise the CAAI and the POI in a timely manner that
discrepancies, which have led to maneuver restrictions,
have been repaired.
5. Task Outcomes
5.1. Each approved flight-training device or simulator must be listed in
the operator's training program and approved by the POI