PDA

View Full Version : A320 Cockpit Liners

PaulSavage
07-31-2016, 12:57 PM
Hello guys - I'm new here and have an idea. I am building an A320 Sim in Ireland.

So far, I've been quoted 50,000+ for parts made from plastic. Fair enough you might say, but I have a solution to the cost of cockpit fit out. (Windows, panels etc)

In order for me to get there with the manufacturer here in Ireland, I need CAD or Sketchup drawings of the A320 cockpit interior parts. Any idea where I would get these. I don't mind paying for them.

I look forward to hearing from you all.

Paul

OmniAtlas
08-01-2016, 09:28 AM
Hi Paul, you can get dimensions at this website -- https://cockpitsim.wordpress.com/2015/01/26/unser-cockpit-als-3d-modell-bauplan-und-mase/

Are you planning to produce plastic (?fiberglass) interior liners? If so I would be interested.

PaulSavage
08-01-2016, 11:54 AM
Hi Omni,

Thanks for your reply. We have already approached cockpit sim but they are suggesting that their model isn't good enough to take from CAD to manufacturing, which leaves an issue.

We are proposing to build the core liners our of ESB (A very high quality durable Polystyrene). They will then be coated with the airbus RAL coloured plastic. This makes them light and affordable.

Paul

No Longer Active
08-01-2016, 01:41 PM
I think the drawings from the above site are also 50 euros to buy as well.

Vier Im Pott sells the liners but he charges 1000's of euros, I think he went from home cockpit builder to commercial supplier hence the high costs, many home cockpit builders end up as 'companies' as it pays for their own sim and make money from the hobby.

PaulSavage
08-01-2016, 02:14 PM
Alex

Yes - you're absolutely correct. Their products, whilst excellent, are in my opinion about 25-30% overpriced.

I know the ESB manufacturing and cutting system quite well and I know that they would be suitable for aircraft interior parts that aren't load bearing, like windows and ceiling trims.

I've approached a couple of different A320 sim manufacturers, and they aren't for selling me their CAD drawings, which ofcourse, I can understand!

Any more thoughts?

Paul

OmniAtlas
08-01-2016, 06:37 PM
Unfortunately these are the only designs I know about.

There are also measurements available on the Internet.

Perhaps it would be better if a CAD designer was brought on board to design the liners (Can you crowd source the funds)?

Will your liners be used for home or commercial use?

PaulSavage
08-01-2016, 08:30 PM
Alex - Vier Im Pott make exceptional cockpit parts, but for the most, they are quite overpriced. Some of their stuff is just ridiculous. I appreciate that they are manufacturing to the highest quality. Granted. But, I believe I can get it looking the same for 1/3 of the cost.

Omni - I've got every measurement I possibly can from the internet and from A320 family pilots that I know, but there is only so much that we can do without a CAD design. A CAD designer, unless specifically from an aviation design background won't be able to do it I don't believe, even if money was no object.

It's a tough one - there is always the option of using Cockpit Sims raw data as it currently stands and adapt them ourselves. That's the road we're looking at now.

The liners will be designed for use in home or self built cockpits, but that doesn't mean those parts can't be used in professional level self build cockpits. They will certainly be strong enough.

Our sim is being designed as a professional type sim, which is why as much accuracy as possible is needed.

OmniAtlas
08-01-2016, 09:35 PM
http://www.janus-cockpit.com/ also produces interior liner parts, but they might also be targeting commercial customers.

rockpapst
08-02-2016, 03:17 AM
Fs Cockpit is offering a complette shell for 5500€ + shipping

No Longer Active
08-02-2016, 06:46 AM
The problem you will find in this hobby, especially with me being a member of this site for over 8 years is that, those that do conquer amazing hurdles such as manufacturing liners and niche parts, then turn their 'hobby' into a business and then the price goes rocketing up as you have to pay for all the development, labour and manufacturing costs, thats very fair to say, but I dont think one can produce liners and be 'willing' to sell them for a 1/3 of the cost, especially when so much development and time has gone into a product. Pro manufactured liners are likely to be produced using tooling, and tooling is VERY expensive. Vacuum forming is cheaper and is a good alternative, but equally the part may need to be manufactured as 2 sides and welded together as vacuum forming requires the real part to act as a 'plug' and easily be removed from the formed sheet. You could fibreglass certain panels, but again this is lengthy, and costly....and messy. But the part will be very 'heavy' so not so good for roof liners etc. Please realize that producing liners for an A320 flight deck is an extremely niche project and will undoubtedly have many hurdles along the way, some you will jump and some may just trip you up. Also having 'the demand' from fellow builders will certainly help with costs if any can chip in to the manufacturing process and as a small group this could be achieved.

OmniAtlas
08-02-2016, 07:03 AM

Do you have a link? I don't see a shell + liners on their website stating such an item.

OmniAtlas
08-02-2016, 07:07 AM

Do you have a link? I don't see a shell + liners on their website stating such an item.

anzabon
08-02-2016, 11:20 AM
Hm if you already have the measurements... why not self-building the liners? 2015 we've made them by polystyrene cut out of CAD, now they are coated by plastics. Looks and feels excellent - unfortunately I have no actual pictures. Total costs of maybe 60-70 bucks and two days of work.

Regards
Bon

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11661&stc=1http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11662&stc=1

rockpapst
08-02-2016, 11:24 AM
i think the guys from janus cockpit re-sell the Fscockpit stuff. i dont know exactly how they do it but i know that the Cockpit on the picture is from FS Cockpit

http://www.janus-cockpit.com/page7.html

you can send Tomasz an email and he will give you the details.
he told me a complete shell would cost 5500,- + shipping.

the Interieur Liner from cockpitsonic cost about 4700,- but without shipping.

but vier im pott is the only company that makes interieur liner in this quality.
i konow they are very expansiv but also the best.

PaulSavage
08-02-2016, 11:36 AM
Janus quoted me 21,000 euros for shell and liners.

Anzabon - this is exactly what we're trying to produce, with a lot of accuracy. They look excellent on your sim. Where in the world are located?

Paul

No Longer Active
08-02-2016, 12:41 PM
I agree that DIY is the way to go and so much more fun and interesting to build your own. I was thinking expanded polystyrene sheet with a hot wire and guide, you can create some awsome stuff this way!

Busdriver65
08-02-2016, 02:36 PM
[QUOTE = anzabon; 163838] Hm , wenn Sie bereits die Messungen haben ... warum die Liner nicht selbst bauen? 2015 wir sie durch Polystyrol geschnitten aus CAD gemacht haben, jetzt werden sie von Kunststoffen beschichtet. Sieht aus und fühlt sich sehr gut - leider habe ich keine aktuelle Bilder. Die Gesamtkosten von vielleicht 60-70 Dollar und zwei Tage Arbeit. Viele Grüße Bon [/ QUOTE]

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11661&stc=1üphttp://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11662&stc=1
hi, can you upload the CAD File

OmniAtlas
08-02-2016, 07:43 PM
Hm if you already have the measurements... why not self-building the liners? 2015 we've made them by polystyrene cut out of CAD, now they are coated by plastics. Looks and feels excellent - unfortunately I have no actual pictures. Total costs of maybe 60-70 bucks and two days of work.

Regards
Bon

Wow Bon, thats amazing, and actually looking very good -- perhaps I should try this method, I could save a fair amount of cash :) How do you coat the polystyrene with plastic?

Have you considered some sort of hard card material? Perhaps someone can make an origami A320 interior liners with directions on where to fold :)

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11663&stc=1

How are you holding up your overhead?

I was planning to build my base frame, and overhead support out of T-slot aluminium.

OmniAtlas
08-02-2016, 07:48 PM
i think the guys from janus cockpit re-sell the Fscockpit stuff. i dont know exactly how they do it but i know that the Cockpit on the picture is from FS Cockpit

but vier im pott is the only company that makes interieur liner in this quality.

I've also heard mixed things about fscockpit (JL himself If you remember was having issues) so I am not too sure about them as a vendor.

There is also FDS solution to consider -- I've been to a few of their trainers (one in Kuala Lumpur -- FlightsimKL, and in London -- Emirates Flight Experience) -- they are hand made out of metal, so most likely expensive but sturdy.

dodiano
08-02-2016, 09:10 PM
I am very interested in these liners! I also happen to be an A320 captain I could get mesurements and detailed pics and in exchange get a good price on those liners for my sim!

EdwardInBeijing
08-03-2016, 04:28 AM
I contacted FDS about buying liners and they weren't really interested. Told me they only dealt in complete kits.

OmniAtlas
08-03-2016, 05:40 AM
I contacted FDS about buying liners and they weren't really interested. Told me they only dealt in complete kits.

Usually they only sell if you have the dual trainer setup, that includes their shell for compatibility sake.

OmniAtlas
08-03-2016, 05:43 AM
I am very interested in these liners! I also happen to be an A320 captain I could get mesurements and detailed pics and in exchange get a good price on those liners for my sim!

There are at least 4 or 5 of us here looking for affordable liners -- I will be willing to invest if someone can come up with a plan.

PaulSavage
08-03-2016, 07:42 AM
I have emailed FDS and had no reply on liners. I'm certainly not chasing them.

I think the answer to the lining issue is Precision Cut ESB. BUT! We need accurate CAD drawings.

No Longer Active
08-03-2016, 01:53 PM
I will take a Capt Window and a Capt side roof panel (left of overhead) if we all chipping in...

Kind Regards,

Alex

PaulSavage
08-03-2016, 02:12 PM
A little update on the ESB cut panels.

So I bought the Cockpit Sim Sketchup file and sent it off to the guy that does the ESB cutting and model making. He has come back to me with a price for the ENTIRE cockpit liners (turns out the Sketchup file is good enough). The price would blow you away - it's incredibly cheap. I can't say exactly how much just now, but it looks like it will be possible with a bit of tinkering at my end to get the right fittings etc for them to be attached to a frame. Also, the model maker has suggested that he can leave what he referred to as 'salvage edges' on the ESB so they are slightly bigger than ordered so that they can be hand trimmed on site. Something worth considering.

We're working towards getting a sample made up for the end of next week and I will post more here.

No Longer Active
08-03-2016, 02:31 PM
Wow, that's fantastic news, put me down for a set! I will be happy modding them at home for my sim, will all come together eventually. Can I just ask, what is ESB?

Also, as I am only building a half cockpit, maybe you will be so kind to resell your sample set as a viable option, but again happy to pay for a new set, just a thought! Pay day at end of month too :)

Kind Regards

Alex (UK)

Edit: Just researched ESB and I know exactly what it is now, its funny because my pet snake has a 3D rock effect background made from it in his vivarium, and I think my washing machine's packaging had 2 trays made from it and it was very hard to brake up by hand to dispose of. Very durable indeed. Looks like there are a few companies around that can model in ESB, many such companies make props etc for film sets, exhibitions etc. I am really beginning to understand it now and its low cost. I really like the idea.

OmniAtlas
08-03-2016, 06:02 PM
Awesome - if this can be made I would be interested in full liners for both captain and FO side -

Only planning to build up to the end of the forward overhead for now

No Longer Active
08-03-2016, 06:26 PM
So its safe to say Paul that the below members including yourself will take a set and are very credible members. That's 4 sets guaranteed. Maybe you could get a discount for 4 sets. Also we could set a time limit for funds to be able to produce these to get these in production if all are committed, maybe with a deposit.

Dodiano - Joined 2005 - 1000 posts
Omniatlas - Joined 2012 - 1,600+ Posts
AlexJ - Joined 2008 - 2000+ posts

All credible members who will commit Paul, maybe we could all exchange emails maybe.

Kind Regards,

Alex

rockpapst
08-03-2016, 06:48 PM
Im also very intested

dodiano
08-03-2016, 09:13 PM
Totally commited here! We will have to talk shipping too.

OmniAtlas
08-04-2016, 01:18 AM
Edit: Just researched ESB and I know exactly what it is now, its funny because my pet snake has a 3D rock effect background made from it in his vivarium, and I think my washing machine's packaging had 2 trays made from it and it was very hard to brake up by hand to dispose of. Very durable indeed. Looks like there are a few companies around that can model in ESB, many such companies make props etc for film sets, exhibitions etc. I am really beginning to understand it now and its low cost. I really like the idea.

Please explain what ESB is...my googling is not turning up anything useful :) I would also be interested to know if there is any additional plastic layer of painting required or will the material come out set as required?

Cheers.

No Longer Active
08-04-2016, 07:16 AM
Agreed very little on the net, but it is mentioned in places. I think its made by a company called Dow. ESB is like a toughened polystyrene, almost impossible to brake by hand and will need some force to do so. It feels more solid that poystyrene, and its more compact. Only thing I can imagine that you may be aware of is in the RC hobby. Many planes and gliders are made from it instead of balsa due to its strength and ultra light weight. Just think Polystyrene but a lot harder/rigid. You will have a similar feedback cutting ESB as of some light woods. You need a saw to cut it id say, thin sheets could probably cut with a knife with some force, but it would probably hurt your hand though.

Geremy Britton
08-04-2016, 08:18 AM
I would also like to add in here, that I am keeping a close eye on the development that Paul is looking at. GLB Flight Products are always looking to expand our range in the most economically viable way possible both for ourselves and our customers.

The ESB approach is an interesting one, and will shortly P.M paul to offer our services through distribution, investment, marketing, or cad design in order to fully investigate the viability of this product for the membership on this forum.

I thoroughly enjoy working with people that have a passion for developing new products, especially those that think outside the box and will be more than willing to help in any way we can.

Best Regards

Geremy Britton ARAeS
Head of GLB Flight Products

No Longer Active
08-04-2016, 08:59 AM
But when vendors start getting involved, the price starts going up. Surely this hobby is about keeping the whole thing as low cost as possible. Its when vendors start getting involved the price goes rocketing up because of the costs of the marketing, eCommerce, and having to make a profit. In terms of the 'sim community' I would like to think that community is about helping each other realize your dreams and making it affordable. I think the whole idea here is to keep this as low cost as possible and I think all will agree.

OmniAtlas
08-04-2016, 06:52 PM
Lets not get ahead of ourselves and see how the sample is first.

Paul -- thank you for taking the initiative. I think if this goes ahead as planned you at least have 5 orders, possibly more confirmed.

AlexJ -- this stuff --

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11673&stc=1

No Longer Active
08-04-2016, 10:20 PM
Ben - Thats not it, the thing is, if anyone took a picture of it, it would just look like normal packaging foam. Ive seen it in grey on a model rc and in white so far. Its blimmin hard to get a google result. I think they may call it something different perhaps.

PaulSavage
08-05-2016, 08:56 AM
It's also called EPS. Extruded Polystyrene Sheet. Or commonly in the UK, Craft Foam. Sample has arrived. It's good, but not good enough. It resembles an A320 window, but having checked the dimensions against what I have, I think it's slightly wrong. Here lies the major issue. We absolutely need to have the correct dimensions and I'm not convinced I do.

I am wondering if anyone on here could use the Aerosoft A320 virtual cockpit and turn it into a CAD or sketchup model so that we can actually scale it properly.

I'm so frustrated with this, it has the mileage to go far if we can get it right.

Thought anyone?

PaulSavage
08-05-2016, 08:58 AM
For anyone that wants to know more, here is a supplier in the UK: http://www.panelsystems.co.uk/product/craftfoam-blue

OmniAtlas
08-07-2016, 04:24 AM
Does it have to be an specific CAD designer Paul? Can we 'hire' a freelance CAD designer and try this route first by plugging in the values?

Here are some local CAD designers in Australia --

http://3dprint-au.com/3d-design/hire_designer/

Or is there a way we can '3D print' the results we need?

PaulSavage
08-07-2016, 03:53 PM
Dodiano,

You mention you are a real life Airbus driver, wondering if you could get some detailed photographs that are up to date?

Paul

dodiano
08-08-2016, 01:18 AM
Yes I can. What do you need?

Fritz
08-08-2016, 03:21 AM
You can look around inside the cockpit here: http://www.airbus.com/aircraftfamilies/passengeraircraft/a320family/commonality/a320-cockpit-virtual-visit/

Fritz
08-08-2016, 03:45 AM
I did my Interior by myself. It took many working hours but saves money.

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11691&stc=1http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11692&stc=1

OmniAtlas
08-08-2016, 05:33 AM
There are some measurements over here with downloadable skp and 3ds files -- unfortunately none for the liners.

http://www.vuedehaut.fr/A320/plans.html

Fritz -- ah it looks like you have some carpentry skills -- none which I possess, and perhaps something I must learn. Or perhaps just hire a local carpenter to make it all up for me?

I don't have the space in my apartment for woodworking corner, its all taken up for the flight simulator :)

PaulSavage
08-08-2016, 08:07 AM
Dodiano - thank you. If you can get specifically good quality pictures of all the window liners, ceiling lining, and the side boxes that would be a great start. There's more brownie points for taking good measurements too, including depths in mm! What I mean by that is if you can trace around every single angle on the component and make a note of the measurement, that would allow us to draw out a rough 2D drawing and even work out angles.

Fritz - I'm impressed. They look good. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind doing the same? For reference? Measurement of any kind are helpful at this stage in order to get the preliminary modelling completed.

Everyone has been great on this thread, I have made contact with a model maker in the UK that is keen to be involved in this project. He is suggesting a 100kg/m3 Extruded Polystyrene product that would be fairly inexpensive to buy in raw format, but may be expensive to cut into the shapes of the components. I am waiting on his quote back.

I had posted a Project on Freelancer.co.uk to try and establish interest from a reverse engineering CAD designer and got 20 odd replies. The average quote is £1000.00 to do this.

OmniAtlas
08-08-2016, 08:37 AM
I had posted a Project on Freelancer.co.uk to try and establish interest from a reverse engineering CAD designer and got 20 odd replies. The average quote is £1000.00 to do this.

Sounds good Paul -- I will be willing to split the cost for some designs if we can get large enough interest.

This company already has the CAD designs for the A320 --

http://www.g2metric.com/en/services/reverse-engineering/

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11693&stc=1

PaulSavage
08-08-2016, 09:34 AM
Omni - yip, I am aware of this company and have emailed them asking if I can buy the CAD drawing. No response yet.

Fritz
08-08-2016, 04:29 PM
Did you already have this for the beginning? http://www.jeehell.org/A320.skp

PaulSavage
08-10-2016, 07:02 PM
Hi Fritz

Yes, I already have this file. It's not accurate enough. Would you mind doing some measurement of your sim? I'm guessing your components are as close to 1:1 Scale as they're doing to get?

Paul

OmniAtlas
08-11-2016, 01:46 AM
Paul -- try cockpitsolid

www.cockpitsolid.com/airbus.html

bindook
08-12-2016, 07:18 PM
Is it possible to also look at J-Rails & tray tables? prices out there are ridiculous.

Michael

PaulSavage
08-13-2016, 06:57 AM
Bindook, look at http://www.virtualaviationsystems.com/#!tray-table/c20he

Prices are far more affordable. No J-Rail though. We're probably going to make ours.

Fritz
08-14-2016, 03:04 AM
J-Rails you will finde here: http://www.flightsimulatorcenter.com/Category_List.aspx?lang=ENG&ID=b2ee6dc5-b80a-47a4-9b0f-be975ac95dc3&ID2=1bfc23ee-355e-41f1-b85e-6cb6cf5df8a4

OmniAtlas
08-14-2016, 09:23 AM

Janus have responded to my e-mail and have told me to contact fscockpit; so you are correct, it seems they are their supplier.

tuomasho
08-15-2016, 03:52 PM
Hi!

I am also very interested about A320 cockpit parts, so I would be very happy to join, if there is somekind of group going to order something... :)

Best regards

Tuomas

OmniAtlas
08-16-2016, 01:06 AM
I have counted at least 7 interested parties --

PaulSavage
OmniAtlas
Dodiano
EdwardInBeijing
AlexJ
Rockpapst
Tuomas
cmdr114b
bobsta63

Please let me know if you would like me to add you to the list.

I will try and approach this a different way -- I'll e-mail a few vendors and see if they can produce liners and sell it to us at a competitive price if we are ordering in bulk.

OmniAtlas
08-22-2016, 02:00 AM
You can take a good look at the FDS A320 interior liners over here -- https://goo.gl/nSQXUz

Its a good VR setup, you can also walkthrough the whole shop!

dcutugno
09-15-2016, 09:56 AM
Hi, I'm very interested in this, I have a full shell from FDS , Mip and pedestal and other parts, so I can try the compatibility of those liners the FDS ones gone stellar with their prices...if I can help I'm here

No Longer Active
09-15-2016, 10:49 AM
the FDS ones gone stellar with their prices

Probably because they are a professional flight simulator manufacturing company that specifically targets professional businesses more than individuals and hobbyists. Those that can afford FDS equipment I feel are very fortunate and shows real financial commitment to the hobby.

OmniAtlas
09-15-2016, 07:02 PM
The FDS interior liners are hand made out of metal which is probably why they could be pricey -- I have not enquired about the cost of their liners.

They also sell interior liners for the 737 which are affordable (http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/components/b737ng/b737ng-sections-modules/b737ng-interior-liner-package/) , but made out of fiberglass.

If A320 liners can be made out of the same material, I don't see why costs for liners can't go down.

cmdr114b
10-13-2016, 12:01 PM
As I have just started to build my sim I would also be very interested in Cockpit interior panels and would like to add my name to the list.
I have a fair bit of CAD experience, mainly Solidworks and would be more than happy to help with the CAD work if needed.
Out of interest, I have attached a 3D pdf of one of my side windows taken from Sketchup dimensions so I cannot be sure if they are correct or not.
I have a frame being delivered from Vier Im Pott in the next couple of weeks so I hope I can get some closer measurements then.

I am based in Norfolk UK.

I have added a 2D version as well in case some might not be able to view the 3D version.

To enable 3D content permanently in Acrobat:

Go to Edit > Preferences > 3D & Multimedia and then select the Enable playing 3D content checkbox.

bobsta63
10-13-2016, 05:51 PM
Evening all - Sounds a great idea, i too am looking for complete interior and would like to ask if Omni can add me to the list?

OmniAtlas
10-13-2016, 10:34 PM
Hi all -- I've added you both to the list -- it now stands at 9 wanting interior liners for their project.

CMDR114b --- wow! Very impressed with your design. Its good to have an experience CAD designer on board -- with CAD designs would it be possible to present it to a local fibreglass store to get it manufactured?

What would be the most straight forward way? From my knowledge the FDS and flybycockpit 737 liners are made out of fibreglass.

If we provide you with the exact measurements would you be able to implement these changes to your CAD documents so the manufactures can produce?

We have a bunch of resourceful individuals here -- perhaps if we pool our talent we can come up with a solution? Win win for all.

cmdr114b
10-14-2016, 02:26 AM
Yes, I can change what ever we need.
The design I have is my best estimation of what I think it should look like so I may well be way off the mark.
What we really need is a copy of the original drawings from Airbus but I guess they would not be too keen to let them go.

My idea was to have the design CNC cut from foam and then coated to give a hard surface.
There are lots of videos on YouTube on how this finish is done. This we could use as a plug to produce fibreglass moulds if required.
You have to remember that producing moulds is an expensive process as it is very time consuming.

I would be happy to use the foam core with the coating and not bother with the fiberglass because if they did get damaged they could be easily fixed.
There is another way to get a fibreglass part and that is to lay up the foam core with Epoxy and glass cloth. Again very time consuming but it can be done at home. Its used extensively in boat and home built aircraft designs.

John

cmdr114b
10-14-2016, 02:28 AM
bobsta63, where in Suffolk are you?
John

cmdr114b
10-14-2016, 07:09 AM
Here are a couple more 3D pdf's of both the CPT and FO windows including the glass and handles.

OmniAtlas
10-14-2016, 08:34 AM
Wow, making good progress. You probably know about this website already?

http://www.simpit.de/a320dim/page_01.htm

It has some measurements, although I am not too sure how accurate they are.

Perhaps some of the real world pilots can pitch in? I will see what other resources I can find.

bobsta63
10-14-2016, 02:35 PM
Thanks Omni for adding me to the list!!

@cmdr114b - I'm in Ipswich, I was actually going to ask you the same thing last night ;) - I've had a few cottages in North Norfolk (Wells, Holt area) - I love it up there, very relaxing... I love Holkham beech in the winter!!

FWIW - I think the foam core and hardened coating is a great idea, like you said John, easier to repair if broken!

Where abouts are you John? - Maybe we should get together one time (whoever finishes their cockpit first ;))

Let me know if I can be of any further help guys at this point.

Cheers,
Bobby

cmdr114b
10-14-2016, 03:03 PM
@bobsta63, - Actually our postal address is Norfolk but I think we are actually in Suffolk, between Bury and Diss so we are pretty close.
It would be good to find some locals to share ideas with and lend a hand or two when needed.

As for the foam coating, have a look at some stuff called Styrospray 1000 or I have seen a Youtube video showing you how to make your own.
I have also seen that PVA glue gives good results.

rockpapst
10-15-2016, 05:17 AM
Your window design look like the drawings from JAA simulators.
Did you made them by your own?

rockpapst
10-15-2016, 05:23 AM
i'm also about to design my own liner and print it in small part with a 3D printer.
i will let you know how that works out
.http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11810&stc=1

cmdr114b
10-15-2016, 05:28 AM
Your window design look like the drawings from JAA simulators.
Did you made them by your own?

Yes they are all my own work, taken from drawings and pictures I found on the net. The only thing I can not be sure about are the accuracy of the dimensions.
John

OmniAtlas
10-15-2016, 05:52 AM
Rockpapst - your CAD designs also look impressive.

Looking forward to seeing how they turn out.
It seems you all are working on the windows - would it be more straightforward to work on liners such as the front window sections or overhead sections first?

Wallet is open for an affordable solution. Regards.

rockpapst
10-15-2016, 06:04 AM
i dont only work on the windows. i want to do a full shell for the vier im pott frame that i have.
if everything works out like i want i use the printet parts for vacuum forming and if that work i want to give the people a payable shell option.
the prices on the marked are insane.

cmdr114b
10-15-2016, 06:47 AM
I started on the Windows because they will be the hardest to make.
I have also got the front screen splitter and front roof designed and I am working on how it will all fix together.
For the upper roof panels I think I will use flat PVC sheet heated and bent around formers.
I can then add detail using ether foam or thin PVC machined parts using my CNC router.

@rockpapst - your design looks great I hope you have a large 3D printer!

rockpapst
10-15-2016, 07:43 AM
No I have a normal 3D printer. I print it in small parts and glue the together to get the form for the vacuum forming. http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/webkit-fake-url://5acbf83b-d171-41dc-92f0-12c29d2b8fd8/imagepng

rockpapst
10-15-2016, 07:58 AM
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11812&stc=1http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11811&stc=1http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11813&stc=1

No Longer Active
10-20-2016, 11:39 AM
This was my idea for my roof, I think its simple, effective and cheap. Just screw on to your frame. I will just upscale my template.

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11816&stc=1

OmniAtlas
10-20-2016, 05:24 PM
Well done you all. Sharp designs. If these work out are you planning to sell the pieces or designs?

Cheers.

cmdr114b
10-21-2016, 02:54 AM
@ alexj - It looks like we are both thinking along the same lines. The more concepts we get then the better it will be.... keep them coming.

No Longer Active
10-21-2016, 07:28 AM
The way I see all this at the moment, is there are some very talented people here that can all offer a skill to put into the pot, whether that be contacts, drawings or design skills, its great that we can all collaborate. Just remember to keep doing this all for 'us' the hobbyists and enthusiasts and beat the vendors, vendors are vendors for profits, we are simulator builders as enthusiasts and we all can go along way!

cmdr114b
10-21-2016, 09:30 AM
@alexJ - EGMC! I did a lot of my instrument training there and my first night landing. Not the same place now Stobarts have taken it over.

No Longer Active
10-21-2016, 10:43 AM
@cmdr114b - EGMC/SEN is where I work, over the past 4 years there have been many changes. Unfortunately I am not allowed to comment further on social media about my work due to the nature of my work. But next year will bring new challenges for sure!

richard.long
11-03-2016, 06:52 AM
@All

Hi Everyone,

I have designed some cockpit items for manufacture for my A320 simulator and want to gauge the interest to get them made in multiple quantities to reduce the costs. Would anyone be interested in the following for your own simulator?

Replica gasper ball vent
Replica tray table/foot rest dummy fascia

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11837&stc=1http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11839&stc=1

Thanks
Richard

tuomasho
11-03-2016, 10:24 AM
I am interested... :)

Tuomad

tuomasho
11-03-2016, 10:25 AM
I am interested... :)

Tuomas

richard.long
11-03-2016, 12:16 PM
Hi Tuomas,

Great! I'm going to see how much interest there is and then I can get some sensible costs together.

:-)

cmdr114b
11-04-2016, 02:43 AM
You can add me to your list, I am interested.
John

richard.long
11-04-2016, 05:04 AM
Hi John,

Great to hear you're interested.

The more people there are interested the lower the price will be.

Thanks
Richard

bindook
11-05-2016, 01:45 AM
I would be interested in the Replica gasper ball vent

Michael

richard.long
11-05-2016, 06:50 AM
Hi Michael,

Good to hear from you. Are you looking for a pair of vents or single?

The design includes a circular boss for locating and fitting to a hole in the panel.

@All
I'm getting quantities together so if anyone has interest in the gaspers let me know!

Best regards
Richard

bindook
11-10-2016, 06:13 AM
Pair ...

thanks

rockpapst
11-21-2016, 11:28 AM
Hey guys,
i talked with some companys that do vacouum Forming and prototype Production. I dont have a cnc mashine so i had to contect some companys that can do what I / we Need.
the badnews are that costs for the Development for the Shell are very high because of the cnc work.
The complete Development costs for the Shell are about 13.000€-16.000€ + Production for every pice of the Shell about 100-400€ per pice of the Shell.
What You guys think?
The shell is are about 11 Pices
So let me Know what You think and Maybe someone of You have a cnc mashine and Want to work with me.
Best regards
Kevin

rockpapst
11-21-2016, 11:32 AM
Hey guys,
i talked ith some companys that do vacouum Forming and prototype Production. I dont have a cnc mashine so i had to contect some companys that can do what I / we Need.
the badnews are that costs for the Development for the Shell are very high because of the cnc work.
The complete Development costs for the Shell are about 13.000€-16.000€ + Production for every pice of the Shell about 100-400€ per pice of the Shell.
What You guys think?
The shell is are about 11 Pices
So let me Know what You think and Maybe someone of You have a cnc mashine and Want to work with me.
Best regards
Kevin

OmniAtlas
11-22-2016, 01:18 AM
Development is expensive and expected.

But 400 euro per piece for 11 pieces is reasonable (4400 euro). I would gladly pay 4400 euro for the liner set.

Regards,

Ben

tuomasho
11-22-2016, 04:51 AM
Hello,

I am also interested of I could get all the liners for about 4000€.

I have one friend who contacted me lately, because he read about my hobby to build A320 simulator. He is working in one company in Finland and they can produce pretty big items from cad -pictures. They can use very many different kind of materials (metal, plastic, polyurethane etc).

Also he has done many items to race cars by himself. Builded a mold by himself and then make example a hood with fiberglass.

If I can get cad -pictures for the parts we need, I can ask if he could even do those at his spare time. Then there would be opportunity, that those wouldn't cost so much...

Best regards

Tuomas

tuomasho
11-22-2016, 04:52 AM
Hello,

I am also interested if I could get all the liners for about 4000€.

I have one friend who contacted me lately, because he read about my hobby to build A320 simulator. He is working in one company in Finland and they can produce pretty big items from cad -pictures. They can use very many different kind of materials (metal, plastic, polyurethane etc).

Also he has done many items to race cars by himself. Builded a mold by himself and then make example a hood with fiberglass.

If I can get cad -pictures for the parts we need, I can ask if he could even do those at his spare time. Then there would be opportunity, that those wouldn't cost so much...

Best regards

Tuomas

tuomasho
11-27-2016, 12:15 PM
Hello all!

I contacted my friend and things are going forward pretty quickly. There is now a big chance that we are going to start making A320 cockpit liners and parts pretty soon. We can use a two 5-axle cnc machines which can produce 6x3x1m pieces per time, and if we want to produce bigger parts, we can attach those pieces easily.

So, who is interested and which parts are the first to do?

Tuomas

OmniAtlas
11-27-2016, 05:00 PM
Hi Tuomas, great news - I'm interested. Most likely start out with the simplest structure liner first? I would suggest the mid window structure (sits on the glareshield)

Here are some pictures from a friend who has genuine liners:

https://soarbywire.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/img_4822.jpg

dcutugno
11-28-2016, 06:54 AM
Hello all!

I contacted my friend and things are going forward pretty quickly. There is now a big chance that we are going to start making A320 cockpit liners and parts pretty soon. We can use a two 5-axle cnc machines which can produce 6x3x1m pieces per time, and if we want to produce bigger parts, we can attach those pieces easily.

So, who is interested and which parts are the first to do?

Tuomas

Hi, i'm interested too...

rockpapst
01-30-2017, 12:16 PM
Hey guys,
thinks working very well in the moment and it looks like i'll be able to offer you in the near future a liner set.
hear is a little drawing to get a idea how it hopefully will look. the color code is just to show the single parts :)
so lett me know what you think about it.
best regards
Kevin

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12060&stc=1

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12059&stc=1

richard.long
01-30-2017, 02:07 PM
Hey guys,
thinks working very well in the moment and it looks like i'll be able to offer you in the near future a liner set.
hear is a little drawing to get a idea how it hopefully will look. the color code is just to show the single parts :)
so lett me know what you think about it.
best regards
Kevin

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12060&stc=1

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12059&stc=1

Hi Kevin,

Liner model looks good. How do you propose to define and manage compatibility with third-party hardware? Have you scoped or defined the mechanical interfaces and along with a scheme for the support structure?

This is of great interest in principle

Thanks
Richard

Busdriver65
01-30-2017, 02:58 PM
..i need the Cpt. Windows :)

rockpapst
01-30-2017, 04:06 PM
Hello Richard,

i designed it to be very close to the original mesurments. of course ir will not be 100% original but i hope very close. i personly have a shell frame from vier im pott and try to make it work with it. but if not i will build my own support structure i think its not hard to make. to make the my liner a bit mor flexible i descitet to not build a sidewall because its just a blank piece of wood and very very easy for everyone to build. im about to make the first prototype and will see how everything fits. i dont want to give you smth unfinished that dosent fit. i also thought about so do it like DIY version to keep the costs lower for every one that means its unpaint and also uncut but im not shure about tell me what you think.

best regards Kevin

rockpapst
01-30-2017, 04:11 PM
@ busdriver65

it will be no problem to get just the Cpt. Side
but first it had to be finished. i hope i dont will take to long i think about
1-2 months but hey **** happens ;)

best regards
Kevin

OmniAtlas
01-30-2017, 08:34 PM
Excellent work Kevin, I'll be looking forward to seeing the materialised product! Fibreglass?

cmdr114b
01-31-2017, 02:05 AM
Great work Kevin.
I have the latest shape Vier im pott frame so I will look forward to see how your work turns out.
John

rockpapst
01-31-2017, 09:38 AM
Excellent work Kevin, I'll be looking forward to seeing the materialised product! Fibreglass?

Hey,
im not sure witch material. maybe PVC or fiberglass.
i will do a first try with one window and the middle thing.
i will let you know how it works out
best regards
Kevin

rockpapst
01-31-2017, 09:40 AM
Great work Kevin.
I have the latest shape Vier im pott frame so I will look forward to see how your work turns out.
John

hopefully it will work out with an without

best regards
Kevin

rockpapst
02-01-2017, 05:32 AM
hey guys,
im looking for a sketch or other 3D model of a Vier im Pott Shell frame. i just have a smaller version of it so cant get the right measurements. can someone help with a file?
best regards
Kevin

rockpapst
02-01-2017, 08:04 AM
Hey Guys,
i worked a bit on the fittings and it looks like it fit excellent.
so it will hopefully look like on the picture.
(the gray parts Like MIP, Sidebase, OVH, Floorboxes and Sidewalls are not part of the Liner set)
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12064&stc=1

EdwardInBeijing
02-01-2017, 08:10 AM
Looking good.

tuomasho
02-08-2017, 07:24 PM
Yeah, looking good. Waiting to get some more information! :)

Tuomas

rockpapst
02-08-2017, 08:49 PM
Thank you!
I'm also working on other things like a MIP stand, Glare, Pedestal, Sidestickbases and Floorboxes if anyone is interested...
just have look on the drawings and let me know what you guys think.
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12080&stc=1
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12081&stc=1
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12082&stc=1
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12083&stc=1
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12084&stc=1

OmniAtlas
02-09-2017, 01:46 AM
Looks great -- sidestick console should be sloped (can't really tell in your pictures) -- I think it is a 3 degree angle from the window to the medial aspect of the top console.

rockpapst
02-09-2017, 05:09 PM
Hey Guys,
i started on a Frame for the shell its not finished jet but i think im on a good way. it looks very close to the Vier im Pott frame.
i made 3 Pics to get Idea how it works.
Let me know what you think about it.
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12085&stc=1
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12086&stc=1
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12087&stc=1

dcutugno
02-10-2017, 09:42 AM
Amazing work! i have an FDS shell can it be compatible as well? if you need some measures let me know, would like to try the windows frames...

rockpapst
02-10-2017, 07:29 PM
Sure i would look what I can do, if it's possible for You to make a sketchup file of your shell and send me :)

rockpapst
02-12-2017, 05:15 PM
a little smoother :)
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12101&stc=1

cmdr114b
02-23-2017, 03:56 AM
Looking really good, how are the prototypes coming on?
John

Gregor
02-23-2017, 06:35 AM
Hi

Will the liners be compatible with the Vier-Im-Pott frame or only with your own frame?

Cheers
Greg

rockpapst
02-23-2017, 09:04 AM
@cmdr114b:
there are some issues and i don't have any prototype yet.
i think it will take 1-2 months till i can show you smth. maybe it will work faster but at this point it very difficult to say.
at this point we all (me too) have to be very patient - Sorry :/

@Gregor:
I hope so! we will see how it works out but also its to early to say yes or no. i will try if it fits and will let you know.
if you have a sketch file or any other 3D file of the VIP shell frame you can send it me and i will check if it fits in the drawings.

rockpapst
03-17-2017, 10:47 AM
Hey Guys, while i'm also waiting for the Prototypes I started to design the MIP table.
let me know what you think
Best regards
Kevin
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12168&stc=1

rockpapst
04-18-2017, 08:39 AM
Hey Guys a little update:

I just want to let you know why it takes so long.
1. I had to change the CAD Program cause ketchup is not good enough for production.
2. Little detail issues in the Files for the windows like you can see below.
3. because of the CAD change i had to start the most things from 0 again. an that takes a while. The good thing is everything will be much closer to the real thing.

I can't give any dates but i can tell you we are very close to what we all want: Good parts for a good price.

Best Regards
Kevin

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12237&stc=1
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12238&stc=1
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12239&stc=1
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12240&stc=1
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12241&stc=1
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12242&stc=1
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12243&stc=1

OmniAtlas
04-18-2017, 09:03 AM
Wow Kevin, looks like the real deal. I am looking for genuine liners, but often these are incomplete -- perhaps mixing with your design and replicas will complete the project.

Busdriver65
04-18-2017, 02:22 PM
Hi Kevin,

hast du schon ungefähre Preise ???

LG Ronny

rockpapst
04-18-2017, 05:49 PM
@Omniatlas
thank You im happy You like it. I'm really sorry that it Takes so Long, but the good thing is that we made a big step closer to a better product.

@busdriver65 / Ronny
ich kann leider noch keine Zahlen nennen, da ich es selber noch nicht weiß. Es wird sich zeigen wie hoch die Produktionskosten sein werden. Aber dennoch wird die von mir angepeilte Preisspanne weiter hin als Ziel und Maßstab genommen. Es ist leider noch zu früh um Preise festzulegen.

ich danke für eure Geduld und euer Interesse.

i'm very thankful for your patience and your interest.

best regards
Kevin

cmdr114b
04-20-2017, 06:23 AM
All looking really good Kevin, I can see just how hard you have been working.
I could be one of your first customers if they come out as well as they look. :D
John

rockpapst
04-20-2017, 08:04 PM
Thank you John i'm happy to hear that!
For me it was a good decision to go with a real CAD program and start again (and at the end also for you ;) ).

to get a little break from the shell i worked a little bit on the table and added the footrests.
i hope you guys like it.

Best regards
Kevin
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12256&stc=1
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12257&stc=1
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12258&stc=1
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12259&stc=1
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12260&stc=1

OmniAtlas
05-21-2017, 06:28 PM
I've managed to get hold of one genuine captain side window. Will keep you guys informed when it arrives.

rockpapst
05-22-2017, 07:50 AM
Ah i have Seen it on eBay and had a feeling that You will buy it ;)

i Need someone now who had a big cnc maschine with a working Space about 1000mm x 1000mm x 300mm
so if someone knows someone let me Know :)
best regards
kevin

OmniAtlas
05-25-2017, 05:39 AM
Window arrived, still gotta give it a good clean, light still working after all these years!

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12324&stc=1http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12325&stc=1

cmdr114b
05-25-2017, 08:48 AM
Wow, that looks like its in excellent condition, what a great find.
If you want to give me some accurate measurements then I can update my cad drawings and generate a mirror image for the FO side for you.
I have found a company just two minutes from where I live that have a very large 5 Axis machine and they seem quite keen to help make parts.
They are also cutting the parts for my 270° screen (more on that when I have some firm plans).
John

OmniAtlas
05-25-2017, 09:15 AM
I cleaned it up a little bit -- some more shots at http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30547&page=11 and I'll put it up on the blog as well.

Could use a new paint job, but I don't mind the antique Bus feel :)

Sure, I can help you out with some measurements John, just let me know what you need and I'll see if I can get to it on the weekend.

rockpapst
06-12-2017, 05:52 AM
hey guys,
i got smth for sale!
a set of original a320 liner (look on the picture).
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12371&stc=1

if someone is interested just PM me

all the best
Kevin

kuhdan
08-24-2017, 06:04 PM
Hey Kevin

Schon eine Idee wann die Liner verfügbar sein werden und zu welchem Preis? Ich wäre sehr an einem komplette Kit interessiert.

Beste Grüsse aus der Schweiz
Daniel

turbovela
11-13-2017, 12:24 PM
Hey Kevin, do you still have those window liners? Do you have the cpt and fo set? I am really interested and you can message me if you prefer. Thanks

jose

dodiano
01-02-2018, 06:18 PM
Interested in the liners of available!!

CFM320
01-18-2018, 01:18 AM
Hi frienfd
I am making my homecockpit 。almost finish,can you share me the 320 fire push buttom its hard to design。thanks

Fabiano2012
10-27-2018, 08:07 AM
Kevin, ich nehme dir die Teile ab falls du sie noch hast :) ... nach Bayern ist es nicht so weit zum holen oder verschicken

OmniAtlas
12-19-2018, 10:04 PM
I have some additional parts and window liners for sale for those that are interested - https://soarbywire.com/2018/12/19/watch-this-space-airbus-parts-sale/