PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft turning in towards waypoints when very close

Ray Proudfoot
02-01-2007, 04:37 PM
I've recently started having a problem with the Boeing suite. When the aircraft is approaching a waypoint as it gets close it starts to turn in towards it. Then, as it passes over it the aircraft has to change heading for the next waypoint.

This happens even when the two waypoints are in a straight line. It's like the next waypoint isn't being detected early enough.

This problem is quite new and I'm struggling to work out what could be wrong. I know other software has a 'fly-over' option where the aircraft would not turn until that waypoint had been reached. But in PM I'm pretty certain it would switch to the next waypoint when within a mile or two so as not to cause this 'turn in' problem.

Anyone else experienced it and do you know how to resolve it?

Thanks.

dornier
02-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Hi Ray,

I encounter a relate issue. My case is my plane fly 2 different circles (follow the mistake on CDU flight plan) when leaving an airway waypoint (no flyover) and making a left turn to the next waypoint (1x dme away). I know this problem since I am doing the flight plan on ground. I was thinking it will be solve when reaching there and end up it didn't. I wonder if this is caused by the new nav data.

I should take picture next time when doing that flight.

By the way, what version of CDU and AIRAC are you using when having this problem?

Alkit

Bob Reed
02-01-2007, 11:08 PM
Hi guys. I have not seen this issue I am still using the last beta release of the Airarc. Please report this to support@projectmagenta.com maybe Enrico has an idea.

dornier
02-01-2007, 11:18 PM
Anyone with relate or other flight route issue? please make a post. So we can summarize and report all potential bugs to PM.

cbaye
02-02-2007, 07:46 AM
I have observed this same issue as well.

Tony
02-02-2007, 12:46 PM
This phenomenon has always been there for as long as I have PM (years) .

At the time it was "agreed" that it was a YAWDAMPER problem because some simmers could avoid it by switching on the yawdamper.

I have never been able to avoid this "swirling" around a waypoint.
Even with pmSystems fully operational, it still happens.

Its annoying only if you fly full auto.

Tony

Bob Reed
02-02-2007, 01:27 PM
I have contacted PM directly for this. I have not seen this behavior in a long time in PM. My CDU flies as it should. No swirling around the way points in fact at times it flies a few miles to the left or right of the way point to stick to the flight plan! I am using an older beta for the CDU and the last beta Navdata. Will let you know what I find out.

Bob Reed
02-02-2007, 03:09 PM
I have heard from Enrico and he is traveling. He will look into this when he is back home next week. I will try to run a few more tests myself tonight and see if I see this behavior.

Peter Nielsen
02-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Gents,

This problem arises ocasionally, on my set up, when there is very strong 100kts or more cross wind only, as it seems the plane is "crabbing" to catch the waypoints.

for the rest in calm winds i have not had this problem for years

Peter

Ray Proudfoot
02-03-2007, 07:22 AM
Hi Ray,

I encounter a relate issue. My case is my plane fly 2 different circles (follow the mistake on CDU flight plan) when leaving an airway waypoint (no flyover) and making a left turn to the next waypoint (1x dme away). I know this problem since I am doing the flight plan on ground. I was thinking it will be solve when reaching there and end up it didn't. I wonder if this is caused by the new nav data.

I should take picture next time when doing that flight.

By the way, what version of CDU and AIRAC are you using when having this problem?

Alkit

Hi Alkit,

I'm running build 384 of the CDU but still using the old datafiles from last year. I think the problem is more to do with the CDU.

Ray Proudfoot
02-03-2007, 07:24 AM
This phenomenon has always been there for as long as I have PM (years) .

At the time it was "agreed" that it was a YAWDAMPER problem because some simmers could avoid it by switching on the yawdamper.

I have never been able to avoid this "swirling" around a waypoint.
Even with pmSystems fully operational, it still happens.

Its annoying only if you fly full auto.

Tony

Hi Tony,

This is a new problem for me. And as I switch on the MCP quite soon into the flight it's something I can't live with. I will revert to an earlier version of the CDU and if it goes away then it must be related to the more recent build.

More later.

Ray Proudfoot
02-03-2007, 07:26 AM
I have heard from Enrico and he is traveling. He will look into this when he is back home next week. I will try to run a few more tests myself tonight and see if I see this behavior.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for all your work on this. I'm going to revert to an earlier build of the CDU (382) and see if it resolves it. That should help Enrico.

Cheers.

Ray Proudfoot
02-03-2007, 08:38 AM
I've switched back to 382 and the problem went away. Seems pretty conclusive it's something to do with 384. Hopefully Enrico can find the glitch and resolve it. :D

Thanks to all involved.

Bob Reed
02-03-2007, 10:07 AM
What Jonathan said was they are changing the way the CDU works internally and it may have something to do with that. Enrico will look into it when he gets back next week.

Ray Proudfoot
02-03-2007, 10:40 AM
What Jonathan said was they are changing the way the CDU works internally and it may have something to do with that. Enrico will look into it when he gets back next week.

Thanks Bob. At least I have 382 until the fix is issued.

Peter Nielsen
02-03-2007, 04:52 PM
try this one. work fine here

http://www.projectmagenta.com/downloads/builds/latest/cdu387a.zip

Ray Proudfoot
02-03-2007, 05:40 PM

Thanks Peter. I've installed it and will try it tomorrow.

Cheers,
Ray.

Darensw1
02-03-2007, 06:48 PM
I've recently started having a problem with the Boeing suite. When the aircraft is approaching a waypoint as it gets close it starts to turn in towards it. Then, as it passes over it the aircraft has to change heading for the next waypoint.

This happens even when the two waypoints are in a straight line. It's like the next waypoint isn't being detected early enough.

This problem is quite new and I'm struggling to work out what could be wrong. I know other software has a 'fly-over' option where the aircraft would not turn until that waypoint had been reached. But in PM I'm pretty certain it would switch to the next waypoint when within a mile or two so as not to cause this 'turn in' problem.

Anyone else experienced it and do you know how to resolve it?

Thanks.

Hi Ray guys,
Even the real aircraft does that from time to time!
Regards

Ray Proudfoot
02-03-2007, 07:16 PM
Hi Ray guys,
Even the real aircraft does that from time to time!
Regards

So software glitches aren't confined to the world of simulation! ;)

Ray Proudfoot
02-04-2007, 08:23 AM

Yes, that's resolved the problem, thanks.:D

Tony
02-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Sorry to say but the 387a has not solved the problem here.
The bird (full auto) is still swirling at waypoints just as before.

Bob Reed
02-08-2007, 12:10 PM
Hi Tony. I am sorry to hear this. What flight model are you using? Does this happen with the FS Stock 737? I still am not observing this problem and another user who is using the newer builds is not seeing this either. Very strange. Please also report this to support@projectmagenta.com

Tony
02-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Hi Bob,

Im flying the PMDG 737NG with mods from B.Scott (I believe Im not the only one) .
Will try out the default 737 (good tip !) and let you know before contacting PM again.

Bob Reed
02-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Hey Tony. I am using the PMDG as well. I think most of us are ( I know not all!!) So the only thing I can think of is something is interfering with the PM auto pilot. You have not added a new add on of any kind lately, have you?

nrasch0402
02-08-2007, 02:34 PM
ya gotta love modern avionics!

3202b
02-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Hi I have this same problem with the Airbus suite, it's a new problem with me too.

dornier
02-09-2007, 12:51 PM
Hi Ray, there is a new beta 387c, would you check if your mentioned problem fixed in your scenario?

I will do mine tmr

Alkit

Ray Proudfoot
02-09-2007, 01:03 PM
Hi Ray, there is a new beta 387c, would you check if your mentioned problem fixed in your scenario?

I will do mine tmr

Alkit

Hi Alkit,

I'll give it a try over the weekend and report back.

Tony
02-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Hi Bob,

Ive tested with the default 737 but still the same "swirling".
As mentioned before this problem exists right from the beginning.
It is not a real problem to me because I fly ATC most of the time.
In fact I have given up but always interested if a solution should appear off course.

Kind regards

Bob Reed
02-09-2007, 01:14 PM
Well then this is system specific. As I said I am not seeing this and I know a number of other people running newer versions then mine not having this problem. We are going to have to see what Enrico says. Sorry guys I am out of ideas!

Ray Proudfoot
02-10-2007, 06:00 AM

I will do mine tmr

Alkit

Hi Akit,

I've tried the new beta and the problem did not occur. In fact it has only occurred with build 384. Only Enrico will know what he changed in that version and then appeared to remove in later ones.

Is he still travelling the world? It would be nice if he could comment on this publicly when able.

3202b
02-10-2007, 06:28 AM
If the boeing version has been fixed why not the airbus?

Ray Proudfoot
02-10-2007, 08:33 PM

I will do mine tmr

Alkit

All,

I flew LOWW-EGCC Saturday with 387c and encountered serious issues. The most important one is that the CDU is eating processing time and causing update problems with the PFD (they run on the same PC). The CDU CPU time was averaging 60-70%! I've reported it to Enrico so in the meantime I suggest you don't use it. I'm back on 382 for now and it's averaging 3%.

PeterH
02-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Hi,

one question though: does 382 accept the new Navdata from Jan 07?

Thanks

Best rgds

Peter

Ray Proudfoot
02-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Hi,

one question though: does 382 accept the new Navdata from Jan 07?

Thanks

Best rgds

Peter

Hi Peter,

Nothing nasty has happened so I guess the answer is yes. I haven't heard back from Enrico yet but maybe he spends Sunday with the family.

PeterH
02-11-2007, 01:53 PM
Hi Ray,

thanks a very lot for the prompt and positive answer. Letīs cross fingers Enrico gets a chance for hands on that problem.

Cheers

Peter

Bob Reed
02-11-2007, 02:15 PM
OK. Let me see if I can make this clear. The PM team ( including Enrico) will NOT be monitoring these forums. So if there is a problem that we can not (this one) solve among ourselves then a message to support@projectmagenta.com is in order. All of there tech support will be done by email from now on. This forum will be for sharing ideas and help from other users. We have not made any headway on this issue so those having this problem ( all of you having this problem!) need to contact PM directly. And once solved please keep us informed.

3202b
02-11-2007, 02:19 PM
Hi Bob I contacted PM about 3 weeks ago with this and about another 30 major problems I'm having with the Airbus suite... Enrico said he would look into it when he got back from the USA. I'm grounded at the moment with the PM software, i'm finding it almost unflyable with the climb/descent VS problems and problems with the flight plan vanishing and drawing incorrectly on the ND.

Bob Reed
02-11-2007, 02:38 PM
Yes that is what we need to do ... contact them. everyone with this problem. Boeing and Airbus alike. I too have contacted them on behalf of you, I am not seeing this issue.

Ray Proudfoot
02-12-2007, 06:52 PM
All,

I flew LOWW-EGCC Saturday with 387c and encountered serious issues. The most important one is that the CDU is eating processing time and causing update problems with the PFD (they run on the same PC). The CDU CPU time was averaging 60-70%! I've reported it to Enrico so in the meantime I suggest you don't use it. I'm back on 382 for now and it's averaging 3%.

I downloaded Boeing CDU 387c today from the intermediate builds and it seems to have resolved the problem of heavy CPU useage by the CDU. Enrico didn't respond to any of my later messages about this which is a bit unusual but the problem appears to be resolved.