PDA

View Full Version : PMRJ wont run now...

Tomlin
07-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Hi all

I recieved a machine to run my PMRJ FO side on the other day and the specs are this:

Pentium IV 2.5
512 MB RAM
nvidia 64 MB Geforce 2 MX400
WINXP

When I first installed and ran the PMRJ demo, it benchmarked really well considering the slow RAM and low video RAM/age of the card, but I decided to update the drivers to the card from nvidia's site and now I only get a highly artifact-induced image with a Open GL benchmark of 1. When it was running I got around 278.

I did nothing except update the drivers. Also, this machine runs Whazzup really well- no issues at all. I will say that this issue didnt crop up immediately after installing the newest nvidia drivers for this card (which are a few years old) but it may have started after loading GetWx and Whazzup, but those two run great.

Ideas? Im frustrated! I also uninstalled PMRJ and reinstalled. No joy (yet!).

Thanks,

Bob Reed
07-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Hey Eric first thing I would try is to roll the driver back, if that does not work try to restore back to when it worked. Sounds like a driver issue...

NicD
07-12-2007, 05:03 AM
and beware of PMGetWeather - it stalls some PCs

Trevor Hale
07-12-2007, 07:53 AM
If I am not mistaken when you have whatzup installed I am not sure if you need PM Getweather. I would do what Bob suggested, roll the driver back and try again. If not, go into your INI file and reduce the quality from 100 down to 10, just to see if it makes a difference.

Good luck

Trev

Bob Reed
07-12-2007, 09:20 AM
If I am not mistaken when you have whatzup installed I am not sure if you need PM Getweather. I would do what Bob suggested, roll the driver back and try again. If not, go into your INI file and reduce the quality from 100 down to 10, just to see if it makes a difference.

Good luck

Trev

Trevor is correct. If you are running Whazzup you do not need the Getweather program. If you have the GC and Whazzup on the same machine run Whazzup minimized.

Tomlin
07-12-2007, 09:23 AM
Well, here's the deal. This pc was given to me and had been used by someone who had never enabled restore points. Dummy me didnt realize this or create a restore point in XP before updating the driver. Last night I tried installing a driver off of a CD that was loaned to me from back when this card was sold. No help. Also, I want to point out that the card's performance increased after updating to the newest driver (again still old- 2005?) but then later (maybe an hour or less) it just started artifacting on me. I can start the software, but it loads my CPU up to 100%. Maybe I should install FS9 on this machine, or another game, and see if it does it on that software? That will determine if it's the install of the PMRJ or the video drivers, right? I say this because as stated earlier, whazzup looks and acts just fine- no hiccups at all visually.

Bob Reed
07-12-2007, 09:30 AM
You said you tried deleteing the PMRJ directory and did a fresh install and it did not help? There is something strange going on here. Even without a restore point there is the option of rolling back the driver in the hardware wizard.